• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asking the gods if they accept me

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I used the I Ching (cleromancy) to individually ask Apollo, Fortuna, and Set if they accept me as their servant.

The I Ching provides a reading for your present situation, as well as one for the future.

I believe Apollo wanted me to know that to presently (hexagram 43 lines 4&5) to be resolute in my decision to be his servant. Allow myself to be led like a sheep and eliminate bad habits, and in the future (11) we will be in harmony.

I believe Fortuna wanted me to know that I must presently know my limits (60 line 5). To do so will bring me good fortune. In the future (19) they will approach.

I believe Set wanted me to know that we are presently in harmony and to persevere in my present struggles (11 line 3) and in the future they will approach (19)

I am a novice with the I Ching, I do not fully understand how to interpret the lines and images, but I am learning. I read various interpretations on the judgements. But i think I am generally heading in the right direction when it comes to being a servant of these gods. Set and Apollo mentioned being in harmony with me, and Fortuna gave me a requirement for her future approach.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no background in that system of divination, so I can't speak to that in any capacity. Divination as a whole though, is a great companion for inspiration and insight whether one feels it is coming from the gods, one's higher self, or its own inherent magic. There was a time that I kept a log of divinations because that can be really useful for learning and retrospectives. Is that something you're doing?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
There was a time that I kept a log of divinations because that can be really useful for learning and retrospectives. Is that something you're doing?
When I started like 2 years ago I had a log of a few pages. I think I will start doing that again, I can see the use in that.
Divination as a whole though, is a great companion for inspiration and insight whether one feels it is coming from the gods, one's higher self, or its own inherent magic.
I use it also to communicate with my "soul" or higher self, as it has the perspective of one without an ego.

Hildeburh

If it's acceptance from Set or Apollo or Fortuna you want, wouldn't it be more desirable to them that you learned a more culturally appropriate form of divination? It would at least show the gods that you are interested in acknowledging there history, mythos and heritage.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
The only divination I use is runes, and they are... Vague lol. I can't imagine wrapping my head around more complex systems
That may be due to Runes being alphabets and the majority written about their use in divination is ahistorical, which is why you've likely come across conflicting definitions as well. Some interpretations developed within the last couple of centuries, most are Neopagan inventions, so perhaps you're using info that's just not working for you. That said, among divination sources a well-regarded one is "Taking Up the Runes: A Complete Guide to Using Runes in Spells, Rituals, Divination, and Magic" by Diana L. Paxson.

A good introductory book on rune history is "Rudiments of Runelore" by Stephen Pollington.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Elder Futhark mostly. By straightforward I meant that when using it for divination I've always had pretty clear answers from it.
That's been my experience too.

Although, I suspect that's a function of how I was trained in runes. The person I was learning from encouraged a deeply personal method, and as a result I forged a bond with my handcrafted set that is unlike anything I have for any of my other divinatory companions. There's a clarity that comes from working with someone who you have an established relationship - they know you, you know them, you get each other. So maybe that personal connection is the most important factor... more than the system?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
There's a clarity that comes from working with someone who you have an established relationship - they know you, you know them, you get each other. So maybe that personal connection is the most important factor... more than the system?

I think so. That connection is what makes it work. Which is why I've worked with the same rune set and tarot deck for as long as I have. But I've always had a stronger bond with the runes, maybe because I've used them in ritual more.