• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask me anything about the science of Evolution :)

Audie

Veteran Member
OK I want to try.

Aren't there a lot more factors that go into creating the first cell than previously realized, throwing the chance of abiogenesis into question?

Why do so many living things share things that could have just as well switched? For instance, mammals seem to all have five fingers, including a bat, but is a bat really best with 5 fingers?

"First cell" and "first life" are not the same, so no points there.

Ye horse has one "finger" so, what point(s) there?

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
OK I want to try.

Aren't there a lot more factors that go into creating the first cell than previously realized, throwing the chance of abiogenesis into question?

Why do so many living things share things that could have just as well switched? For instance, mammals seem to all have five fingers, including a bat, but is a bat really best with 5 fingers?

It gets into epigenetics which is replacing many Darwinian assumptions held since Victorian times. One breakthrough is discovering that DNA does not contain all the information required to build a body plan, it builds proteins etc, but other processes determine some larger scale forms.-

The evidence is increasingly pointing to DNA representing an archive of 'sub routines' which can be expressed/ turned on or off as each body plan requires, so the crucial information for new physical features never had to write itself accidentally on the fly, it was pre-installed- and merely activated at the appropriate time.

i.e. this is probably why superficially very different looking animals, share uncannily common features- complex structures like eyes that apparently 'evolved' entirely independently of each other, countless times in different organisms- works far better than fluke at least!

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
As a scientist who closely follow the scientific research on biological evolution, I am in full agreement with 99% of US scientists that evolution is the mechanism by which all life has evolved into its current multifarious forms on earth.

Ask me any specific questions or clear any specific doubts you have about evolutionary science and its conclusions.

Also note that evolutionary science follow the scientific method. If you reject the scientific method as a means of knowing about reality, then this thread is not for you.

Otherwise ask away
:)
If evilution is true, what's the point of horseshoe crabs?

james dixon

Premium Member
Please see below the description of the large numbers of actual skeletons of transitional whales found by scientists that provide direct evidence for the evolution of whales from land mammals.
From Land to Water: the Origin of Whales, Dolphins, and Porpoises

There is nothing in that line up that proves one came from the other. What they have are similarities and from this someone postulates that they are proof of evolution. I just happen to disagree. There are thousands of different fish and from this some may speculate they evolved from the original fish?

I think not
just my personal view

james dixon

Premium Member
Ok, someone explain the following and then if I agree I will change sides on this debate.

According to the “chain of evidence” humans evolved from monkeys and yet there are still monkeys climbing trees today.

What went wrong, were some of the monkeys playing on the ground struck by evolution while the ones in the trees just stayed in the trees never to evolve?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Ok, someone explain the following and then if I agree I will change sides on this debate.

According to the “chain of evidence” humans evolved from monkeys and yet there are still monkeys climbing trees today.

What went wrong, were some of the monkeys playing on the ground struck by evolution while the ones in the trees just stayed in the trees never to evolve?
I know! Just like how Americans descend from British people, but there are still British people! Wow, I think you just disproved nationalism!

james dixon

Premium Member
Before I leave I must admit that I came here for the debate so I chose a side and went from there.

Evolution explains it as well as anything else. Then again aliens from outer space could have come here and sprinkled the seeds of life across this planet and from there climate change weeded out the weak from the strong.

In much the same way we will be doing when we travel the stars some 2,000 years from today.
If we do not blow ourselves up first

Just my opinion

Last edited:
The burden of evidence lies with the person making the positive claim.

Armoured I think you are confusing me with someone else. I haven't made a positive claim that I'm aware of.

But please tell me something. Why did you ask about horseshoe crabs? Are you suggesting that they offer no benefits or were you being ironic and suggesting they have many?

This is impoortant I think and you could be onto something important and unlike many here I'm looking for answers. Cheers

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There is nothing in that line up that proves one came from the other. What they have are similarities and from this someone postulates that they are proof of evolution. I just happen to disagree. There are thousands of different fish and from this some may speculate they evolved from the original fish?

I think not
just my personal view
There is no "proof" in the sciences. There is only evidence and possible refutation. Nothing in the sciences is ever proven, things are only provisionally true. Not even gravity is proven.

Here is a question for you, are those fossils evidence for evolution?