• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Madhuri a Question about Hinduism

En'me

RightBehindEveryoneElse
I don't wish to butt in uninvited, but, I started researching alot after the people around me, sometimes being the smart-a**** (pardon me) that they are, kept telling me I just "stop being lazy", "use more willpower" and "improve my self-discipline". Weirdly enough, upon asking them how to do it, their faces suddendly changed to blanklessness. Interesting. Anyways, here it is:

"Self-discipline in 10 days"

I won't perfect your self-discipline in 10 days, but it will give you alot of insight and improve it. If you read the reviews you will find it mostly has positive reviews.

I hope this helps. :)

biased

Do you know of any specific books I can read that deals specifically with the concept of maya?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you know of any specific books I can read that deals specifically with the concept of maya?

I am so sorry it took this long to reply.
I was away for a few months and forgot about this thread.

I actually do not know of any book that is specifically about Maya. Maya concept is delved into within various scriptures that also deal with many other concepts.

I'd recommend gaining an understanding of the concept by reading online articles like this one: http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/essays/maya.asp

Maija

Namashkar Madhuriji,

1) Are there any standard prayers you say or that were said growing up before eating?

2) What are you favorite mantras that you say?

3) Do you have any book recommendations for kids?
:)
LOL...heh.

Last questions kinda weird, but I have a 2 year old who has grown a custom to being read The Butter Thief, I'm looking to add to our collection. She calls Krishna "Da (the) Om." It started when my sister was reading her the book.

It's a very sweet and adorable book:

* What did you grow up reading as a small child? *

Butter Thief: Chris Murray, Kim Waters: 9781886069206: Amazon.com: Books

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Namashkar Madhuriji,

1) Are there any standard prayers you say or that were said growing up before eating?

2) What are you favorite mantras that you say?

3) Do you have any book recommendations for kids?
:)
LOL...heh.

Last questions kinda weird, but I have a 2 year old who has grown a custom to being read The Butter Thief, I'm looking to add to our collection. She calls Krishna "Da (the) Om." It started when my sister was reading her the book.

It's a very sweet and adorable book:

* What did you grow up reading as a small child? *

Butter Thief: Chris Murray, Kim Waters: 9781886069206: Amazon.com: Books

Well I grew up in ISKON so before food we recited the mantra called Maha Prasade Govinde:

Maha Prasade Govinde - ISKCON Desire Tree - Devotee Network

One of my favourite mantras to say is the prayer to Narasimha Deva.

Sri Nrsimha-Pranama « The Hare Krishna Movement

This prayer always makes me feel safe and I always say it when I get on a plane. It's something I did growing up with my mother before the plane lifted and I still do it now as an adult.

I also love the Gayatri mantras.

The Krishna Book is awesome! Except it's not appropriate for a 2 yr old. I love Krishna the Butter Thief. That was great to have growing up. My parents bought me a bunch of Hindu comic books, which I loved as a kid. I'd look into what ISKCON sells. They have a pretty large selection of books for small children. Maybe ask your devotee friends? Or look online at the ISKCON site. They might have information.

Maija

Well I grew up in ISKON so before food we recited the mantra called Maha Prasade Govinde:

Maha Prasade Govinde - ISKCON Desire Tree - Devotee Network

One of my favourite mantras to say is the prayer to Narasimha Deva.

Sri Nrsimha-Pranama « The Hare Krishna Movement

This prayer always makes me feel safe and I always say it when I get on a plane. It's something I did growing up with my mother before the plane lifted and I still do it now as an adult.

The Krishna Book is awesome! Except it's not appropriate for a 2 yr old. I love Krishna the Butter Thief. That was great to have growing up. My parents bought me a bunch of Hindu comic books, which I loved as a kid. I'd look into what ISKCON sells. They have a pretty large selection of books for small children. Maybe ask your devotee friends? Or look online at the ISKCON site. They might have information.

The Krishna Book is awesome!

Yes it is, I like that I can pick up reading from any page. I do love the pictures in the Butter Thief and illuminations from the BG.

As for devotee friends, looking for more in that region. :p Most of them are probably online, there are a few of us that go to kirtan but I have never really gotten a moment to connect with them though I enjoy it immensely, many I'm sure do not consider themselves Hindu at the core...but I should ask, I could be wrong !

i will def. check out what ISKCON sells. And like you...

Well I grew up in ISKON so before food we recited the mantra called Maha Prasade Govinde.

I will try that and see if its a good fit.

Thanks for your responses, Madhuri !

sumaidi

ashabul yamin
hi madhuri. long time me not write anything here in rf.
is in hinduism mentioned penalization to them who having sex without marriage?
what about lesbian or homo sex ?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
hi madhuri. long time me not write anything here in rf.
is in hinduism mentioned penalization to them who having sex without marriage?
what about lesbian or homo sex ?

Hi Sumaidi.

There are Hindu texts that explain that sex outside of marriage is sinful. However there is not much difference between heterosexual and homosexual sex outside of marriage.

Hinduism isn't about rules. It is about principles and guidelines. The principle behind the idea that sex outside of marriage should be avoided is because of lust. Lust is said to be a gateway to hell.

So people who allow themselves to be controlled by lust and go have sex with anyone are ultimately leading themselves to a bad place. Lust is like a sickness.

Hinduism does not say much about homosexuality, except to acknowledge that it exists. Using the lust principle, one can determine that a homosexual who has sex with lots of different people freely is dooming himself. But I personally think that if a homosexual is allowed by society to marry or commits him/herself to one partner for life, this is not an engagement in lust anymore than a heterosexual couple.

vistascan

Learning Advaita
I mean when we look at the scriptures, the stories/histories detailed. Kingdoms ruled by men, religious rituals (Brahmins) always men etc.

There are verses of the Vedas written by women, Yagnas performed by women, as well as Vedic scholars who were women. They were called Brahmanvadinis, I think.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
There are verses of the Vedas written by women, Yagnas performed by women, as well as Vedic scholars who were women. They were called Brahmanvadinis, I think.

I have heard this once before, which is interesting. But where is it written? How do we know this?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I wouldn't know. There is only one God in Hinduism.

Could you expand on that? I've sort of wondered the same thing. I think that is where, for instance, people are getting Brahma mixed up with Brahman, though I know that doesn't make sense.

Aside from that, What are your thoughts on the validity of Hari Krishna, do you think it is a false system or just different?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Could you expand on that? I've sort of wondered the same thing. I think that is where, for instance, people are getting Brahma mixed up with Brahman, though I know that doesn't make sense.

There is only one Supreme Being, God. God manifests as many deities but all these deities are the same Personality. In addition to those direct manifestations, there are what we call gods. These gods are personifications of the infinite aspects and energies of the One God. This means that even every planet, every element, every river etc. has it's own 'soul' or personification.

So when people think that Hinduism has millions of Gods, they are heavily misunderstanding the belief system. These 'gods' are just as created by God as you and I are.

Aside from that, What are your thoughts on the validity of Hari Krishna, do you think it is a false system or just different?

I assume you mean the Hare Krishna movement. The actual term is Gaudiya Vaishnavism. It is a tradition that began in the 1400s in north east India. I think this movement is highly valid.

But what you and most people in the world are familiar with is the particular Gaudiya Vaishnava institution called ISKCON, which was founded in the 1900s. The founder is responsible for translating many scriptures into English and bringing knowledge of Vaishnavism to the world.

The problem that I have with this particular institution is that it is quite extreme, literal and dualistic. I think this is why it was so successful actually, in the West. In many respects, it was palpable to Christians and Jews where other more major forms of Hindu philosophy may not have been.

Gaudiya Vaishnavism is formed on the idea that God is also his Creation. But unlike monistic beliefs, it also holds that creation is distinct. That means, for example, that while you are part of God's own self, you are also eternally distinct (as opposed to separate).

Prabhupada, founder of ISKCON, was highly dualistic. Dualism in Hinduism is comparatively recent in history and I personally believe dualistic philosophy exists in Hinduism only as an influence from Islam. This dualistic philosophy posits that God and his creation are completely separate, just like Christians and Muslims believe.

Therefore, where Prabhuapada strays from the rest of Hinduism with his literalism, extremism and dualism, I believe is where there is no validity. But when you get passed his commentaries and into the deep philosophies of Gaudiya Vaishnavism, I think there is great validity.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
There is only one Supreme Being, God. God manifests as many deities but all these deities are the same Personality. In addition to those direct manifestations, there are what we call gods. These gods are personifications of the infinite aspects and energies of the One God. This means that even every planet, every element, every river etc. has it's own 'soul' or personification.

So when people think that Hinduism has millions of Gods, they are heavily misunderstanding the belief system. These 'gods' are just as created by God as you and I are.

Would you call this "pantheism", or is it different?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Would you call this "pantheism", or is it different?

Pantheism is monism, where God and creation are one and the same.

What I described is called Panentheism, where God is both the Creator and the Created.

'Panentheism is a belief system which posits that the divine, interpenetrates every part of nature and timelessly extends beyond it. Panentheism differentiates itself from pantheism, which holds that the divine is synonymous with the universe.

In panentheism, God is viewed as the eternal animating force behind the universe. Some versions suggest that the universe is nothing more than the manifest part of God. In some forms of panentheism, the cosmos exists within God, who in turn "pervades" or is "in" the cosmos. While pantheism asserts that 'All is God', panentheism goes further to claim that God is greater than the universe. In addition, some forms indicate that the universe is contained within God. Much Hindu thought is highly characterized by panentheism and pantheism.'

Panentheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia