• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ask gracie....things (she hopes)

ayani

Starlight- facebook is pretty awesome. check it out- it's open to just about anyone now, and you can 'friend' whomever you like.

as far as music... nasheeds (Muslim vocal hymns), Matisyahu, Common Market, Y-Love, Bruce Springsteen, Dan Bern, and american roots (bluegrass, folk).

oh, and Madonna. :D

gracie said:
Starlight- facebook is pretty awesome. check it out- it's open to just about anyone now, and you can 'friend' whomever you like.

as far as music... nasheeds (Muslim vocal hymns), Matisyahu, Common Market, Y-Love, Bruce Springsteen, Dan Bern, and american roots (bluegrass, folk).

oh, and Madonna. :D
yes, maybe I'll check it out sometime :) I think that right now I'm kind of too busy to join another site like that...

cool...I haven't really heard any of them :D

what kinds of movies do you like? :)

ayani

Starlight said:
what kinds of movies do you like? :)

i tend not to watch movies too often... but i must say that Schindler's List, The Nativity Story, and Willard have been some of my faves. and i really want to see Paradise Now, about the two Palestinian men who decide not to go through with a suicide mission. have you seen it?

gracie said:
i tend not to watch movies too often... but i must say that Schindler's List, The Nativity Story, and Willard have been some of my faves. and i really want to see Paradise Now, about the two Palestinian men who decide not to go through with a suicide mission. have you seen it?
no, I haven't seen it... personally, I prefer movies which aren't very realistic :)

do you like to read? What kinds of books do you like the most? :)

ayani

Starlight said:
no, I haven't seen it... personally, I prefer movies which aren't very realistic :)

cool. like fantasy / sci-fi things? what are your favorite authors?

do you like to read? What kinds of books do you like the most? :)

i absolutely love off-kilter memoirs and graphic novels. for memoirs, Jesus Land, Country of My Skull, and Fierce Attachments are two favorites. graphic novels: Persepolis, Maus, Fun Home, and Deogratias. all beautiful, all uniquely sad and arresting. but in such a wonderful, creative way that lends humanity as opposed to brushing over it with sentiment.

gracie said:
cool. like fantasy / sci-fi things? what are your favorite authors?
Yes, I love fantasy and sci-fi :) Some of my favorite authors (not only fantasy/sci fi writers) are, in random order, Garth Nix, J.R.R. Tolkien, Dan Brown, Neil Gaiman, Andrzej Sapkowski, Lynne Ewing, J.K. Rowling, C.S. Lewis, and Stephen King :) Have you read anything by them? :)
gracie said:
i absolutely love off-kilter memoirs and graphic novels. for memoirs, Jesus Land, Country of My Skull, and Fierce Attachments are two favorites. graphic novels: Persepolis, Maus, Fun Home, and Deogratias. all beautiful, all uniquely sad and arresting. but in such a wonderful, creative way that lends humanity as opposed to brushing over it with sentiment.
I haven't read any of these... but I'm glad you like them :) I don't like sad books, though...

ayani

PeaceSeeker said:
I'm testing you Gracie...are miracles produced by natural events or are they supernatural occurrences?

i would say that the natural and the 'supernatural' are inseperable from one another, and therefor the answer would be 'both'. and as a miracle maight be defined in part as a manifest sign of the will of God, it would have to be natural, in its occuring within the natural world. kind of like "God is in the wind, but the wind is not God Himself".

ayani

Starlight said:
Yes, I love fantasy and sci-fi :) Some of my favorite authors (not only fantasy/sci fi writers) are, in random order, Garth Nix, J.R.R. Tolkien, Dan Brown, Neil Gaiman, Andrzej Sapkowski, Lynne Ewing, J.K. Rowling, C.S. Lewis, and Stephen King :) Have you read anything by them? :)

i've read Sandman, Narnia, and a few books by King. i liked them a good deal, though my brother is more the sci-fi / fantasy fan in the family. he's also big into fantastic, cool video games and graphic novels. you're a fan of the genre- do you write any stories yourself?

gracie said:
i've read Sandman, Narnia, and a few books by King. i liked them a good deal, though my brother is more the sci-fi / fantasy fan in the family. he's also big into fantastic, cool video games and graphic novels. you're a fan of the genre- do you write any stories yourself?
No, I don't write any stories... I'm not very good at that :) What about you? Do you write stories?

ayani

Starlight said:
No, I don't write any stories... I'm not very good at that :) What about you? Do you write stories?

waaay back in junior high, i used to. they often involved lonely, alienated male protagonists grappling with crumbling marriages and their children. i didn't think to save any of them, but i remember enjoying the writing process alot.

if the spirit strikes me, i compose hymns (non-musical), but i'm more likely to read others'. kind of like a prayer journal.

gracie said:
waaay back in junior high, i used to. they often involved lonely, alienated male protagonists grappling with crumbling marriages and their children. i didn't think to save any of them, but i remember enjoying the writing process alot.

if the spirit strikes me, i compose hymns (non-musical), but i'm more likely to read others'. kind of like a prayer journal.
Sounds cool... if I wrote something, it would be probably some kind of unique mix of sci-fi and fantasy, taking place in a strange world with many secrets, and, of course, finishing with a happy end :D

Do you like happy ends in stories? :)

ayani

Starlight said:
Sounds cool... if I wrote something, it would be probably some kind of unique mix of sci-fi and fantasy, taking place in a strange world with many secrets, and, of course, finishing with a happy end :D

Do you like happy ends in stories? :)

aww! you should try your hand at writing, Starlight. why the heck not?

and ya, i like happy endings- but happy endings that don't really end how one expects. happy, but realistic and quirky.

gracie said:
aww! you should try your hand at writing, Starlight. why the heck not?

and ya, i like happy endings- but happy endings that don't really end how one expects. happy, but realistic and quirky.
Well, maybe I could try it sometime, when I have some free time :D

Cool! I like happy, but mysterious endings... in which a story ends in a positive way, but with something unresolved which leaves room for different interpretations, or a possible sequel ;)

Hmm... another question :) Are there any song lyrics you can relate to so much as if the song was written specifically about you?

ayani

Are there any song lyrics you can relate to so much as if the song was written specifically about you?

oh, yes. Bruce Springsteen's My Father's House is such a song:

Last night I dreamed that I was a child out where the pines grow wild and tall
I was trying to make it home through the forest before the darkness falls

I heard the wind rustling through the trees and ghostly voices rose from the fields
I ran with my heart pounding down that broken path
With the devil snappin' at my heels

I broke through the trees, and there in the night
My father's house stood shining hard and bright
The branches and brambles tore my clothes and scratched my arms
But I ran till I fell, shaking in his arms

I awoke and I imagined the hard things that pulled us apart
Will never again, sir, tear us from each other's hearts
I got dressed, and to that house I did ride
From out on the road, I could see its windows shining in the light

I walked up the steps and stood on the porch
A woman I didn't recognize came and spoke to me through a chained door
I told her my story, and who I'd come for
She said "I'm sorry, son, but no one by that name lives here anymore"

My father's house shines hard and bright
It stands like a beacon calling me in the night
Calling and calling, so cold and alone
Shining 'cross this dark highway where our sins lie unatoned

Interesting song!

A different question now... Have you ever watched a TV show titled Lost? Yesterday I had a dream in which I bought a DVD with it and I really loved it, so I decided to buy it for real :D

ayani

Interesting song!

A different question now... Have you ever watched a TV show titled Lost? Yesterday I had a dream in which I bought a DVD with it and I really loved it, so I decided to buy it for real :D

starlight- oh man! a few of my friends are addicted (they say it's awesome), but i don't really watch TV these days, so i'm not seeing the show. a couple years ago i *did* get hooked on Six Feet Under. terrific show.

i hope you enjoy watching the real thing! i hear good things about it, and it's kind of got a cult following.