• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a (the) hindu(s)!!!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, the Gods were changed to their former forms when their spouses (Saraswati, Laxmi, and Parvati) requested her.

'Dharma' is measured by its effect on the society. Simply said 'dharma' is socially supportive action. Taking care of family and elders is 'dharma'. Truth, piety, non-violence, is 'dharma'. Abandoning anger, pride, greed, lust, attachment, is 'dharma'.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Prana is a Sanskrit word that refers to a vital, life-sustaining force of living beings. It is not Atman, or Soul. In Ayurveda and Yoga, it is the central concept where it is believed to flow through a network of fine subtle channels called nadis. The three main channels are: the ida (right), the pingala (left), and the sushumna (central). All physical feelings or energies that arise or flow within the body might also be interpreted as evidence that prana is at work. It can be compared to the chinese concept of chi.

Prana is also a term which can be further classified into subcategories, referred to as pranas. According to Hindu philosophy these are the vital
principles of basic energy and subtle faculties of an individual that sustain physiological processes. There are five pranas or vital currents in the Hindu system:

Prana : Responsible for the beating of the heart and breathing. Prana enters the body through the breath and is sent to every cell through the circulatory system.
Apana : Responsible for the elimination of waste products from the body through the lungs and excretory systems.
Udana : Responsible for producing sounds through the vocal apparatus, as in speaking, singing, laughing, and crying. Also it represents the conscious energy required to produce the vocal sounds corresponding to the intent of the being. Hence Samyama on udana gives the higher centers total control over the body.
Samana : Responsible for the digestion of food and cell metabolism (ie. the repair and manufacture of new cells and growth). Samana also includes the heat regulating processes of the body. Auras are projections of this current. By meditational practices one can see auras of light around every being. Yogis who do special practise on samana can produce a blazing aura at will.
Vyana : Responsible for the expansion and contraction processes of the body, eg. the voluntary muscular system.

(Adapted from Prana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

bearing in mind there is no original founder of this faith , do you believe that this strenghenths Hinduism, or weakens it? :D....Therefore is it just an interpratation of the culture in which it grew up in or a truth so long forgotten that it doesnt matter? (be warned....I have a 4000 word essay on this subject:D)

One man means that there is one set belief. Hinduism is a flexible religion, which people have different interpretations. I think it is good that people must do this and that, or nothing. It is the opposite to Abrahamic faiths. They rely on the rules of one man (rarely a woman) Hindu's can turn to many different people for spiritual guidance.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
bearing in mind there is no original founder of this faith , do you believe that this strenghenths Hinduism, or weakens it? :D....Therefore is it just an interpratation of the culture in which it grew up in or a truth so long forgotten that it doesnt matter? (be warned....I have a 4000 word essay on this subject:D)
I think it is the strength of hinduism. Hinduism does not want one to be dictated by the views of one person and wants one to think for him/herself. They arrive at different conclusions according to their inclination. Hinduism accepts all such views. However, it demands from everyone good social behaviour. I am a non-dualist (advaita) and atheist, my family is theist. I have studied science, they have not. Naturally our conceptions will be different.

What is wrong if it is an interpretation of the culture? What truth are you talking about? That there is a God, and he sent a son or a messenger? And that your soul will be raised from dead at the end of the world, those who have been servile to the views of these two are sent to heaven and those who do not accept what they said would be sent to hell? These people were able to fool others because of the fear of death.

Truth is very different. Every thing in this universe is made up of one energy/substance (in the Einsteinian sense). When the body dies nothing remains of us except the body whose atoms disintegrate to combine with many living and non-living things. There is nothing like soul or God. Your 4,000 words essay is not going to change the world.

buffy

I hope that you will answer these questions for me. I am new to this website and I do not exactly know how to use it that good. However, these questions will be used in my final project in order to compare and constrast another religion. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks again soooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • What is the most significant factor of practicing Hinduism to you?
  • What are the important holidays within Hinduism?
  • What are some of the significant traditions that are carried out?
  • Has Hinduism impacted your life?
  • How has Hinduism changed your life?
  • How has Hinduism provided structure in your life?
  • What are the benefits of practicing Hinduism?
  • What are the challenges of practicing Hinduism?
  • How long have you been of this faith?
  • Have you considered other faiths?
  • Why did you select this faith in particular?
  • What are some things that you may tell other considering joining this faith?

buffy

What would you like to now about hinduism? Ask and i will answer!

My asnwers will be hand-typed. Nothing is copied and pasted, and if it is, i will tell you.
Can someone please answer these from personal perspective????????

buffy

Can someone please answer these from personal perspective????????

michaelm

Has Hinduism impacted your life? Yes, a great deal.
How has Hinduism changed your life? I chose a lower paid job so I have the time and energy to follow the practice. I also do not eat meat, smoke and only rarely drink alcohol (weddings, family celebrations)
How has Hinduism provided structure in your life? I now follow a teacher (Guru) and spend a lot of my day thinking about what he teaches and trying to put his teaching into practice. I also meditate every day, for an hour or more.
What are the benefits of practicing Hinduism? A better understanding of life, people, myself, my strengths and weaknesses,
What are the challenges of practicing Hinduism? To have to accept the need to change myself
How long have you been of this faith? about 4 years
Have you considered other faiths? Yes, I particularly was drawn to Buddhism first.
Why did you select this faith in particular? It didnt demand that I believe a set of things, it also didnt have a set of "thou shalt not.......". It didnt keep telling me that I was a sinner. It was positive, empowering myself, putting me in control and responsible for my own spiritual development, direction and pace of development.
What are some things that you may tell other considering joining this faith? Be open minded, do not accept anything just because its written in a book or spoken by someone who claims to 'know'. Try the practice a bit and see if it makes you feel a bit better, better able to understand life etc.

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Want to be hindu,
Evryone knows that it is mythical Kailash and not geographical.
Shiva in each one of us lives in a cool atmosphere away from the madding crowd in serene peaceful environment stoned in his own meditative state.
Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
In fact symbolisms are used in religion as the MIND cannot perceive the truth directly. That is the reason transmission of truth has always been the greatest difficulty for all enlightened men.
when Jesus says: *Let the dead bury the dead* is not understood.
Symbolisms is a device for the understanding.
Love & rgds

Symbolism is great to show people an easier way to understand things. Just like stories that teach morals, there is something important behind the story/symbol, message etc.

I like to say

mythology is to philosophy

Is What

Poems are to Prose

Sometimes a story can give you much more meaning then a
Philosophical Discourse.