• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Muslimah

Sakeenah

hi,

I thought it would be interesting to make a 'ask a Muslimah' thread..because there are quite a few misconceptions regarding Muslimwomen

A bit about me..I'm a born Muslim raised as a cultural Muslim.I just fasted in the month of ramadan..didn't pray,no hijab etc. I knew very little about Islam
And now I consider myself to be an orthodox muslim try my best to follow the Quran and Sunnah(methodology of the prophet peace be upon him) Wear face veil,pray etc. I'm still human and have my weaknesses.

So yes you can ask me questions..English isn't my first language..that's why my posts are full with grammar/spelling mistakes

For those wondering we niqabis aren't undercover ninjas:ninja:
And it's quite easy to eat and drink with the niqab in public it's a skill you have to develop:beach:)

Last edited:

illykitty

RF's pet cat

Awwww! You shattered my dreams... I thought you were all hardcore super ninjas, ready to kick anyone's behinds if they are mean or something. :sad4:

Other than that... Well I think I have quite a few questions. Like why did you decide to wear one? And what did you feel when you wore it for the first time outside?

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
As Salamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatu

I am interested in what made you decide to wear the niqab.

Sakeenah

Hi! Can I ask about your avatar? Who should we be obeying and why?

hi,
yes the avatar is a reminder to myself.
I believe that we are as travellers in this life and the world is just a moment. And that we should obey God because He is Our Creator and Sustainer.

hope this answers your question:)

Sakeenah

Awwww! You shattered my dreams... I thought you were all hardcore super ninjas, ready to kick anyone's behinds if they are mean or something. :sad4:

Other than that... Well I think I have quite a few questions. Like why did you decide to wear one? And what did you feel when you wore it for the first time outside?

:(sorry to shatter you dreams..and ninja's arent the only ones who can kick anyone's :D... (not that violence is a good thing)

illykitty and assad91 :

I decided to wear the niqab after wearing hijab for about 2 years. It took me about 2 years to wear hijab/abaya..I think it's after my faith started increasing..and I started reading about the niqab..I was ready to take that step. I do it for the sake of Allah(may He accept it) it's my way of getting closer to God and going that extra mile.

When I wore it for the first time..I felt tranquillity and peace.I was quite nervous at the same time because I lived in a European city where people weren't used to the niqab.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
So yes you can ask me questions..English isn't my first language..that's why my posts are full with grammar/spelling mistakes
Your English is fine. :D May I ask what your first language is?

1zx2re9.jpg

That sounds like something an undercover ninja would say...

:D

Also, may I ask what made you start becoming more pious, and to eventually wear the niqab?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
I decided to wear the niqab after wearing hijab for about 2 years. It took me about 2 years to wear hijab/abaya..I think it's after my faith started increasing..and I started reading about the niqab..I was ready to take that step. I do it for the sake of Allah(may He accept it) it's my way of getting closer to God and going that extra mile.

When I wore it for the first time..I felt tranquillity and peace.I was quite nervous at the same time because I lived in a European city where people weren't used to the niqab.

as salamu alykum :namaste

I hope you have become more comfortable , but prehaps from what you say you no longer live in europe ?

may I ask , has it changed your attitude to your dress under the niqab and at home ?
and if it is not a difficult question how much difference has it made to the way you feel about your self ?

Sakeenah

Your English is fine. :D May I ask what your first language is?

Dutch

Also, may I ask what made you start becoming more pious, and to eventually wear the niqab?

I can't really call myself pious..I'm just ordinary muslim
What made me start practising Islam..was that even though I was a Muslim..I didn't practice Islam..so God didn't really have a place in my life.In the difficult times I would ask Allah for help and when everything was fine I continued with my life.
But I always had a feeling that something was missing in my heart..something that couldn't be filled with wealth or even the love of closed ones. I asked myself why am I muslim?..is it just because I was born muslim or do I really believe? And how can I believe in something I don't know anything about? That's how I started reading the Quran and the biography of the prophet (peace be upon him) and the different sayings of the prophet.

There was one hadith which touched me the most:
On the authority of Abu Harayrah (may Allah be pleased with him), who said that the Prophet said:

Allah the Almighty said: I am as My servant thinks I am
I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed. Another possible rendering of the Arabic is: "I am as My servant expects Me to be".

After reading this..I knew that what I was missing was the love of my Creator and being connected to my Creator spiritually.And after that I decided to follow Islam as a way of life..and that led me to wearing the niqab

Sakeenah

as salamu alykum :namaste

I hope you have become more comfortable , but prehaps from what you say you no longer live in europe ?

may I ask , has it changed your attitude to your dress under the niqab and at home ?
and if it is not a difficult question how much difference has it made to the way you feel about your self ?

wasalaam:)

I do live in Europe but in a country which is more accepting. Could you explain a bit more what you mean with the last 2 questions?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
There was one hadith which touched me the most:
On the authority of Abu Harayrah (may Allah be pleased with him), who said that the Prophet said:

Allah the Almighty said: I am as My servant thinks I am
I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed. Another possible rendering of the Arabic is: "I am as My servant expects Me to be".

After reading this..I knew that what I was missing was the love of my Creator and being connected to my Creator spiritually.And after that I decided to follow Islam as a way of life..and that led me to wearing the niqab

absolutely beautifull :bow:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
This is something that has bothered me for a while. Christianity is not a heavily demanding religion which is why it has far less boundaries.

But as a Muslim when made you become less "orthodox"? Islam requires that one practice Salat and do all of the 5 pillars. Did it ever scare you that you were ignoring your duties as a Muslimah?

Even now it sometimes occurs in dreams or while I am awake I just feel like I am ignoring an obligation of some sorts.
I do not see how this can occur with a Muslim born into Islam. I was not even born into Islam and ignoring the religion gives me feelings of regret on occasion.

Perhaps being born into Islam culturally made you feel like a true Muslim without actually practicing it.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
wasalaam:)

I do live in Europe but in a country which is more accepting. Could you explain a bit more what you mean with the last 2 questions?

''may I ask , has it changed your attitude to your dress under the niqab and at home ?''

wearing the niqab is prehaps an outward sign of modesty and commitment to god , but underneath many women wear fasionable clothes , has the descision to wear the niquab changed your personal attitude to fashion , and how you want to dress at home ?

''and if it is not a difficult question how much difference has it made to the way you feel about your self ?''

for me allthough I do not wear traditional clothes (sari and shawl )all of the time, (it would be concidered odd here) I feel much more comfortable in a long dress or skirt with some scarf or shawl which means that I can allways cover my head if needs be , somehow I feel properly dressed with a shawl and part naked without , this way I feel respectfull , and feeling respectfull feels closer to god .

even wearing a sari , there is a correct way to wear it and remain properly covered , this feels correct , respectfull and some how dignified , that feeling is full of awareness which to me feels closer to god , aware of respect for oneself and for others , and less attatched to the material side of life .

Sakeenah

This is something that has bothered me for a while. Christianity is not a heavily demanding religion which is why it has far less boundaries.

But as a Muslim when made you become less "orthodox"? Islam requires that one practice Salat and do all of the 5 pillars. Did it ever scare you that you were ignoring your duties as a Muslimah?

Even now it sometimes occurs in dreams or while I am awake I just feel like I am ignoring an obligation of some sorts.
I do not see how this can occur with a Muslim born into Islam. I was not even born into Islam and ignoring the religion gives me feelings of regret on occasion.

Perhaps being born into Islam culturally made you feel like a true Muslim without actually practicing it.

I wasn't raised orthodox but I did know about the prayers,hijab..and I would feel guilty often. But like I mentioned I would just continue with my life. And I think at the moment I turned away from God's remembrance..God turned away. And then you enter a state of ghaflah(heedlessness- don't know if it's the correct translation)

You can't love and appreciate what you have if you don't truly understand it. I could just ignore it because the seed of imaan(faith) wasn't planted in my heart

Last edited:

Sakeenah

''may I ask , has it changed your attitude to your dress under the niqab and at home ?''

wearing the niqab is prehaps an outward sign of modesty and commitment to god , but underneath many women wear fasionable clothes , has the descision to wear the niquab changed your personal attitude to fashion , and how you want to dress at home ?

''and if it is not a difficult question how much difference has it made to the way you feel about your self ?''

for me allthough I do not wear traditional clothes (sari and shawl )all of the time, (it would be concidered odd here) I feel much more comfortable in a long dress or skirt with some scarf or shawl which means that I can allways cover my head if needs be , somehow I feel properly dressed with a shawl and part naked without , this way I feel respectfull , and feeling respectfull feels closer to god .

even wearing a sari , there is a correct way to wear it and remain properly covered , this feels correct , respectfull and some how dignified , that feeling is full of awareness which to me feels closer to god , aware of respect for oneself and for others , and less attatched to the material side of life .

thanks for explaining,

True hijab and niqab is an outward sign of modesty..and yes most niqabis still wear fashionable clothes at home. If a group of niqabis would come together at a only-women event you will see differnt styles. For me it didn't really change my personal attitude towards fashion..I don't feel pressure to dress in a certain way..if I see something that's in fashion at the moment and I like it..I'll wear it at home..if I don't like it I wont.