• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arguments For and Against Theism

Onyx

Premium Member
Please offer your best arguments for theism or atheism, I thought it would be fun to include them all in a single thread. I originally was going to post this in Interfaith Discussions, but figured it would only derail into a debate, so here we are :D

My own argument for theism is that understanding abstract concepts such as theism/atheism requires a rather sophisticated level of self-awareness, which I believe is the result of a conscious activator of that principle.

I cannot prove or disprove my position, but have chosen the one that makes the most sense to me. What is yours?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Please offer your best arguments for theism or atheism, I thought it would be fun to include them all in a single thread. I originally was going to post this in Interfaith Discussions, but figured it would only derail into a debate, so here we are :D

My own argument for theism is that understanding abstract concepts such as theism/atheism requires a rather sophisticated level of self-awareness, which I believe is the result of a conscious activator of that principle.

I cannot prove or disprove my position, but have chosen the one that makes the most sense to me. What is yours?

Well, both makes sense. God, from how I see it, is an active spirit/energy that in which without energy (heat and all of that) we wouldn't be alive. It's cool to be thankful for living. When you're thankful for your life and give gratitude by service, offering, and other things, you "make god exist" through your experiences and perceptions of the world. People have done this through their various cultures. Different areas of interest have our history. History, in many cases, are considered the cornerstone of our spiritual faith. Others value their origin. Some value the future. Nothing is wrong in and of itself. There are a lot of things that proves theism exist. Just when you make it into a deity/being that's what throws me off. How do you describe it without referring to anything related to what one knows on earth and self.

Atheism makes sense. One, because we are born without belief. I wasn't raised believing; so, it's easy to not believe. I can see god as an active spirit or I can just say "we need energy to survive." I can be thankful for living or I can give thanks by worship and ritual. Atheism, to me, just takes the deity part out of the equation. Everything else-the culture etc-is not a part of atheism.

To prove it? You can't. How can you prove something does not exist when it doesn't exist to begin with?

The Holy Bottom Burp

I'd say my best argument for atheism is that the one reality we share is a materialist reality (materialism seems to be unfashionable these days, but the most contemplative priest, monk, guru etc. still has to eat and do a poop every now and then). I cant avoid the materialist reality, I'm faced with it my every waking moment, but I'm not faced with the "invisible" reality of deities, demons and angels (just religious people saying they are really there). The thing is our shared reality doesn't comport to a reality controlled by any deity or deities that I've heard of. It has every appearance of a reality that does its own thing, doesn't really care that I'm here, but somehow I'm part of it. Don't ask me how, none of us know how, sure we can speculate but the intellectually honest thing to do is say "I don't know". So I'm an honest atheist!:)

Skwim

Veteran Member
Just to be clear here.

the·ism
ˈTHēˌizəm/
noun
noun: theism
  1. belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures.
So, in as much as theism amounts to a positive conclusion that the belief in a god is reasonable, it's up to those who affirm such a conclusion to "prove" its truth. Failing this, there's no reason to accept the conclusion as true. Therefore, any argument against theism doesn't have to amount to anything more than, "I lack good enough reason." This would be my argument, which is also the same for not believing in unicorns, dragons, faeries, and jinns.

Last edited:

HonestJoe

Please offer your best arguments for theism or atheism, I thought it would be fun to include them all in a single thread.
I don’t see how you can make an argument for theism or atheism in themselves. That’s like being asked the best way to get from London to New York and saying “movement”. You can make logical (or indeed emotional) argument in favour of a particular belief position or world-view, which might include or require the existence of gods or not but not just for the general concepts.

Anyway, they’re both beliefs and we can’t choose what we believe so all of the cogent arguments in the world for or against them directly can’t change anyone’s views. We consider and debate how we see the world around us and can certainly present evidence and ideas to influence each other but any resultant shift in beliefs is entirely indirect consequence of that. That’s why when people are pushed towards a singular very specific religious belief, they so often end up somewhere subtly or vastly different in the end.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Just to be clear here.

the·ism
ˈTHēˌizəm/
noun
  1. belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures.
So, in as much as theism amounts to a positive conclusion, that the belief in a god is reasonable, it's up to those who affirm such a conclusion to "prove" its truth. Failing this, there's no reason to accept the conclusion as true. Therefore, any argument against theism doesn't have to amount to anything more than, "I lack good enough reason." This would be my argument, which is also the same for not believing in unicorns, dragons, faeries, and jinns.

you might want to tell the 'agnostic theists'this

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Just to be clear here.

the·ism
ˈTHēˌizəm/
noun
So, in as much as theism amounts to a positive conclusion, that the belief in a god is reasonable, it's up to those who affirm such a conclusion to "prove" its truth. Failing this, there's no reason to accept the conclusion as true. Therefore, any argument against theism doesn't have to amount to anything more than, "I lack good enough reason." This would be my argument, which is also the same for not believing in unicorns, dragons, faeries, and jinns.

I have a disbelief in atheism.

The Holy Bottom Burp

Just to be clear here.

the·ism
ˈTHēˌizəm/
noun

Sure, I'd agree with that but I think the OP was not asking for the best definition of atheism or theism, but was a tad more light hearted, more about personal reasons for rejecting god(s) or embracing god(s), it doesn't have to be a "good" reason, but it is your reason. For example, I think it is quite common for people to look at the world, and conclude "This cant have happened by accident, there must be a god behind it", and so they go off and join a religion, usually the one that is prevalent in their own culture. However flawed, and possibly a little short sighted, you and I may see that reasoning, it still represents that person's "best" reason for believing in a deity or deities. People reject god(s) for (what I'd consider) irrational reasons as well - "No, the idea of a god is stupid, I think it is more likely we got started by an advanced alien civilisation. My best argument for atheism? Area 51 dude!!" ;)

JJ50

Unless indisputable evidence to support the existence of a god is found, the default position is unbelief, imo.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The best arguments for atheism are that theism is simply and fully explainable as an invention of the human psyche, and that no human-invented god has ever been shown to have any reasonable evidence for its existence. Religions inform you about people, not about gods.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Sure, I'd agree with that but I think the OP was not asking for the best definition of atheism or theism, but was a tad more light hearted, more about personal reasons for rejecting god(s) or embracing god(s), it doesn't have to be a "good" reason, but it is your reason. For example, I think it is quite common for people to look at the world, and conclude "This cant have happened by accident, there must be a god behind it", and so they go off and join a religion, usually the one that is prevalent in their own culture. However flawed, and possibly a little short sighted, you and I may see that reasoning, it still represents that person's "best" reason for believing in a deity or deities. People reject god(s) for (what I'd consider) irrational reasons as well - "No, the idea of a god is stupid, I think it is more likely we got started by an advanced alien civilisation. My best argument for atheism? Area 51 dude!!" ;)
And I gave my reason: "I lack good enough reason (to accept theism)." This would be my argument.