• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arguing with the priest

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Well, okay, not exactly arguing but after last night's service we did have an intense discussion in which I revealed some of my heterodox tendencies. He was polite and respectful and said he was basically on the same page with what I said. Of course this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as my unorthodox views go. If he knew the true extent I'm not sure he would pleased. Oh well, little by little and we'll see how it goes...

nazz

Doubting Thomas
It has been over a month; how does it continue to go?

Very well, thanks! We are engaged in a Lenten study on prayer and again the priest encouraged us to express our opinions even if no one else agreed. Very refreshing!

ELoWolfe

As you know, nazz, I have a problem with this as well. A huge problem. But I read something about C.H. Dodd and his interpretation of the wrath of God. To grossly misinterpret it, it sounded to me like Karma.

I am trying to find the actual resource he was said to have made this claim. It is in a book on Romans. I haven't been able to get a copy of it, but my local library has some of his books in "closed stacks," so I am going to see if I can get some this weekend.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
As you know, nazz, I have a problem with this as well. A huge problem. But I read something about C.H. Dodd and his interpretation of the wrath of God. To grossly misinterpret it, it sounded to me like Karma.

I am trying to find the actual resource he was said to have made this claim. It is in a book on Romans. I haven't been able to get a copy of it, but my local library has some of his books in "closed stacks," so I am going to see if I can get some this weekend.

I believe actions have consequences and this determines our fate. The Father does not judge but there may be other deities who do.

ELoWolfe

As I understood what the author of the article was saying of Dodd's proposal of the "Wrath of God," it was an impersonal and almost automatic response to sin. To put it biologically, it is the white blood cells of God that act, but without the conscious decision to do so.

Such horrific acts of Exodus and the Flood, for example, are countered with the example of Jonah and his call of repentance for Nineveh. In this thought, God attempted to warn Nineveh that this act, this wrath, was coming and through repentance, it would, if you will, "pass over them," like the Angel of Death in the Passover narrative.

It reminds me of an interpretation of Rabbi Johanan, at the interpretation of the drowning of Pharaoh's men in the sea. The angels wished to rejoice, but God rebuked them saying "These are my children who are drowning, and you wish to rejoice?" In agreement with Dodd, as I understand it now, God does not derive pleasure from the necessary and dare I say regretful actions that is a consequence of sin.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
As I understood what the author of the article was saying of Dodd's proposal of the "Wrath of God," it was an impersonal and almost automatic response to sin. To put it biologically, it is the white blood cells of God that act, but without the conscious decision to do so.

I have speculated the possibility of such. But it's a lower form of deity to my mind, not the Father.

Such horrific acts of Exodus and the Flood, for example, are countered with the example of Jonah and his call of repentance for Nineveh. In this thought, God attempted to warn Nineveh that this act, this wrath, was coming and through repentance, it would, if you will, "pass over them," like the Angel of Death in the Passover narrative.

It reminds me of an interpretation of Rabbi Johanan, at the interpretation of the drowning of Pharaoh's men in the sea. The angels wished to rejoice, but God rebuked them saying "These are my children who are drowning, and you wish to rejoice?" In agreement with Dodd, as I understand it now, God does not derive pleasure from the necessary and dare I say regretful actions that is a consequence of sin.

Of course I see those examples as myth and legend.

ELoWolfe

That is fine. The Angel of Death, I suppose, is the wrath of God that appears distinct from the Godhead when it is actually a part of it. I suppose an analogy would be an Aeon, who is the father and yet appears to be autonomous as well.

And of course they're myths and legends. But it doesn't mean they're false or wrong. Religious truth is not always historic truth, yet is still a truth.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
That is fine. The Angel of Death, I suppose, is the wrath of God that appears distinct from the Godhead when it is actually a part of it. I suppose an analogy would be an Aeon, who is the father and yet appears to be autonomous as well.

Yes, that is the thing. If everything is an emanation of God then even lesser deities who may be wrathful and judgmental can be said to be part of God. The Father is simply God's purest expression who is above all that.

And of course they're myths and legends. But it doesn't mean they're false or wrong. Religious truth is not always historic truth, yet is still a truth.

Agreed