• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are your Grandchildren technically a part of you too?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Since you are a part of your parents, and your children are a part of you, are your kids a part of your parents? How far does it extend? Aren't we therefore technically a part of each other since all life is theorized to arrive from one evolving cell that split into more and more etc?

A-ManESL

Yes of course, But why stop there? We are probably all part of the primeval atom or from whatever singularity the universe came into being.

The Sum of Awe

Yes of course, But why stop there? We are probably all part of the primeval atom or from whatever singularity the universe came into being.

I would've said that, but it seems most astronomers are kind of accepting it wasn't an atom, it was a some sort of energy conversion into mass.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Since you are a part of your parents, and your children are a part of you, are your kids a part of your parents? How far does it extend? Aren't we therefore technically a part of each other since all life is theorized to arrive from one evolving cell that split into more and more etc?

We are all spawns of whatever precedes us. :yes:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Biologically, not necessarily a part of each other, but sharing some common genetic material.

But I agree with A-ManESL that you can likely go back further than that to the singularity.

The Sum of Awe

Biologically, not necessarily a part of each other, but sharing some common genetic material.

But I agree with A-ManESL that you can likely go back further than that to the singularity.

But I thought the singularity was recently theorized to be energy, so it doesn't make sense to date it back to then too much.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But I thought the singularity was recently theorized to be energy, so it doesn't make sense to date it back to then too much.
Why not?

What does what it consists of at the time have to do with whether the concept should be viewed back that far?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I don't see it that way, my offspring originally had some of my parts and replicated them in to a new form, some of the parts of my spouce were replicated and there might have been some random mutations.

Those parts are long gone, my offspring is as different from me as you are. They are individuals with unique parts. If I want to go backwards in time I can show links to everything but they are only links I am not part of it.

If I go to a junk yard and get a new window is my car part of the other car? Does my car have parts of the other car. In my mind my car has a new used window that is all.