• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you learning another language?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Hebrew is hard. It took me about 6 months just to be able to recognize and read from a siddur. Its hard because of the mix of different alphabet and different ways of saying things.

Good luck

I haven't even began to learn to read it, but I am able to identify words and know their meanings during the service. I figure if I know how to say the word and what it means, it will make identifying the letters and the sounds that much easier.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I haven't even began to learn to read it, but I am able to identify words and know their meanings during the service. I figure if I know how to say the word and what it means, it will make identifying the letters and the sounds that much easier.

Oh, see I spent more time at first learning the letters and the bots(i forget actual name of these) and how to put them together.

But considering it is a semetic language, its very challenging.

I still remember alot and know of a few very good websites and resources I can suggest to you. Just let me know in a PM if you want links and all :)

Rakhel

Ok I am going to suggest this book.
Amazon.com: The First Hebrew Primer for Adults, Second Edition (9780939144051): Ethelyn Simon, Nanette Stahl, Linda Motzkin: Books
It is pretty cool in that it starts you off using the English words spelled with Hebrew characters. A kind of phonic training.
I am just up to the second chapter and boy is there a lot of writing(each letter 10x each with and without the vowels), but I think it's worth it.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Ok I am going to suggest this book.
Amazon.com: The First Hebrew Primer for Adults, Second Edition (9780939144051): Ethelyn Simon, Nanette Stahl, Linda Motzkin: Books
It is pretty cool in that it starts you off using the English words spelled with Hebrew characters. A kind of phonic training.
I am just up to the second chapter and boy is there a lot of writing(each letter 10x each with and without the vowels), but I think it's worth it.

I'll give it a try. Thanks, rakhel!

elmarna

I find it is best to learn from a native of the language.
Books & tapes have their purpose, but lack alot in the true understanding & applications in the ways to communicate in whatever dialect you take on!