• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you healthy mentally?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I would say I'm actually mentally more healthy than the average male at this point.

In some ways not. But I think selfishness and being a jerk isn't healthy, and most guys I meet are jerks and quite materialistic , hedonistic, and lovers of pleasure, possessions, covetousness, and wealth, which strikes me as being unhealthy.

It's one of the reasons I have resorted to such solitude is it is more conducive for spiritual growth, prayer, meditation, and it really isn't pleasant having many acquaintances , because I have no interest in what the vast majority of people do or talk about.

But the answer to the question is NO! Most people can hold a job and I can't. I'm too mentally ill so far. But the difference between me and other panhandlers, is people respect the fact that I leave my phone number and my name and say "willing to work odd jobs".

I do actually enjoy mowing grass and will do it for less than minimum wage. Try me! ;)

So far, there are some weirdos that start asking me to do what goes against my conscience, but the people that hire me have always been charitable people. A lot of people take pictures of my sign which is printed out at the library and taped to cardboard, often with a religious picture.

Some people say they will pay me to do things that hurt someone else or their property, and of course I tell them no.

But people stopped antagonizing me. If someone says "get a job *****" my response is always "well then hire me, *** hole!"

All things considered, I might be more healthy than average mentally, at least in some people's opinions. My neighbor would concur.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes 'mental health' confuses me. Its just the way its referred to... Its not really a one size fits all kind of thing. What's an illness? What's a personality trait? Where do we draw the line? And then how do we treat it? Why is the answer too often a pill? Please don't think I'm trashing medicine here. I'm not. I just feel its overprescribed, and too often the root of the problem is ignored. Medication can be a great thing, but is best used along with a behavioral plan or counselling.

As far as my own mental health goes, I think its sound. It hasn't always been, though. I used to hyperventilate and have panic attacks daily, and that doesn't happen anymore. Sometimes I go into a 'down' mood, but I don't think its illness. Its just a response to life challenges. Honestly, I think I cope with things remarkably well, compared to how most would handle a day in my life.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society".
---Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Be in this world, but not of it"
--- Jesus if Nazareth

"“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here"
--- The Cheshire Cat

"Civilized men. They're all crazy as hell"
--- Conan the Barbarian

"Mankind is made of two kinds of people: wise people who know they're fools, and fools who think they are wise".
--- Socrates

I think we're all crazy. I think the trick is finding the kind of crazy you're comfortable with.

*Edit: and good at.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I think we're all crazy. I think the trick is finding the kind of crazy you're comfortable with.

*Edit: and good at.

Heck, I like your quote best.

An uncle I'm quite fond of was flabbergasted that, despite the unusual situation in how my husband and I came to be married, we worked out quite well. I remember telling him "I'm weird, and I have to do weird things, or they don't work out for me." He wanted to argue, but couldn't. He could come up with no examples in which I'd followed the beaten path in which they had turned out to my advantage.

So I continue on with my path, and he his... and he shakes his head and wonders what the heck is going on...

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Heck, I like your quote best.

*Takes a bow*

An uncle I'm quite fond of was flabbergasted that, despite the unusual situation in how my husband
and I came to be married . . .

Can I ask? :D

. . . , we worked out quite well. I remember telling him "I'm weird, and I have to do weird things, or they don't work out for me." He wanted to argue, but couldn't. He could come up with no examples in which I'd followed the beaten path in which they had turned out to my advantage.

"I'm weird, and I have to do weird things, or they don't work out for me"

This sounds like a line Lewis Carrol would have been proud of. :thumbsup:

So I continue on with my path, and he his... and he shakes his head and wonders what the heck is going on...

As a fellow weird person, I suspect part of our purpose in life may be to get people to shake their heads and wonder what's going on.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Can I ask? :D

I had a platonic friend that lived on the East Coast. We'd been friends for years. I'd found myself single after a long time of being not, and he didn't like me that way. Said I was... well, I can't say that word on RF. My husband was a somewhat of a neighborhood orphan(its complicated), and my friend's mother had helped him as a kid, with places to stay, legal paperwork, food, etc. He'd been gone for a long time, but was back in the area, and was visiting one night, while I was on the phone with my friend. I guess, the night before, my friend had watched my husband to be trip over his own feet and fall on the floor, and my hope of one day meeting 'young, dumb, and clumsy' rang in his ear. "Hey, wanna see who I'm talking to?" He drags up the one picture of me that exists in which I actually look good, and my husband to be takes the phone. Hits on me shamelessly. I am prepared with a line of insults that could have probably launched a career in stand up comedy if I'd have wished it. Apparently, he liked the abuse because he kept calling back every night. After a couple weeks, I drove across the country to meet him. Got engaged that very night. Came back to Iowa with him, got married a month later.

Most people come home from the beach with a bottle of sand. I came back with a self proclaimed beach bum. Been married ten years now.

As a fellow weird person, I suspect part of our purpose in life may be to get people to shake their heads and wonder what's going on.

Its fun, isn't it.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I would say I'm actually mentally more healthy than the average male at this point.

In some ways not. But I think selfishness and being a jerk isn't healthy, and most guys I meet are jerks and quite materialistic , hedonistic, and lovers of pleasure, possessions, covetousness, and wealth, which strikes me as being unhealthy.

It's one of the reasons I have resorted to such solitude is it is more conducive for spiritual growth, prayer, meditation, and it really isn't pleasant having many acquaintances , because I have no interest in what the vast majority of people do or talk about.

But the answer to the question is NO! Most people can hold a job and I can't. I'm too mentally ill so far.

No, seriously:

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society".
---Jiddu Krishnamurti

But the difference between me and other panhandlers, is people respect the fact that I leave my phone number and my name and say "willing to work odd jobs".

I do actually enjoy mowing grass and will do it for less than minimum wage. Try me! ;)

So far, there are some weirdos that start asking me to do what goes against my conscience, but the people that hire me have always been charitable people. A lot of people take pictures of my sign which is printed out at the library and taped to cardboard, often with a religious picture.

Some people say they will pay me to do things that hurt someone else or their property, and of course I tell them no.

But people stopped antagonizing me. If someone says "get a job *****" my response is always "well then hire me, *** hole!"

:D:thumbsup:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I had a platonic friend that lived on the East Coast. We'd been friends for years. I'd found myself single after a long time of being not, and he didn't like me that way. Said I was... well, I can't say that word on RF. My husband was a somewhat of a neighborhood orphan(its complicated), and my friend's mother had helped him as a kid, with places to stay, legal paperwork, food, etc. He'd been gone for a long time, but was back in the area, and was visiting one night, while I was on the phone with my friend. I guess, the night before, my friend had watched my husband to be trip over his own feet and fall on the floor, and my hope of one day meeting 'young, dumb, and clumsy' rang in his ear. "Hey, wanna see who I'm talking to?" He drags up the one picture of me that exists in which I actually look good, and my husband to be takes the phone. Hits on me shamelessly. I am prepared with a line of insults that could have probably launched a career in stand up comedy if I'd have wished it. Apparently, he liked the abuse because he kept calling back every night. After a couple weeks, I drove across the country to meet him. Got engaged that very night. Came back to Iowa with him, got married a month later.

Most people come home from the beach with a bottle of sand. I came back with a self proclaimed beach bum. Been married ten years now.

Wow! I thought things like that only happened on The Love Boat. :D

Congrats George. :thumbsup:
Its fun, isn't it.

It has its days.