• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you concerned of double or triple sins?

Remté

"The earlier generations committed a double crime: (1) their own sins, (2) the bad example they set for those that followed. We are responsible not only for our own misdeeds, but for those which our example and our teaching to our juniors may induce them to commit. But it does not lie in the mouth of the juniors to ask for a double punishment for seniors: the motive is not justice, but pure spite, which is itself a sin. Further, the later generations have to answer for two things: (1) their own sins, and (2) their failure to learn from the past, from the experiences of those who preceded them. They should have an advantage in this respect, being "in the foremost files of Time," but they did not learn. Thus there was nothing to choose between the earlier and later generations in the matter of guilt." -commentary of the holy quran transl. by Y. Ali Abdullah

There is always the main sin, but it's easy enough to build more around it.

• Bad example to others
  • Denial of sinning
  • Lying regarding it even to one's own self
  • Failure to learn from the past if they don't
As examples

My questions are whether you are concerned about these additional sins in your own life, do you think your religion lays stress on it (do your fellow believers for instance pay respect to it), and how do you think it could be made - if it needs to be made - better understood?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
"The earlier generations committed a double crime: (1) their own sins, (2) the bad example they set for those that followed. We are responsible not only for our own misdeeds, but for those which our example and our teaching to our juniors may induce them to commit. But it does not lie in the mouth of the juniors to ask for a double punishment for seniors: the motive is not justice, but pure spite, which is itself a sin. Further, the later generations have to answer for two things: (1) their own sins, and (2) their failure to learn from the past, from the experiences of those who preceded them. They should have an advantage in this respect, being "in the foremost files of Time," but they did not learn. Thus there was nothing to choose between the earlier and later generations in the matter of guilt." -commentary of the holy quran transl. by Y. Ali Abdullah

• Bad example to others
  • Denial of sinning
As examples

My questions are whether you are concerned about these additional sins in your own life, do you think your religion lays stress on it (do your fellow believers for instance pay respect to it), and how do you think it could be made - if it needs to be made - better understood?
Oh boy I'm in trouble. *Grin*

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You mean you are too arrogant? That is also a sin, not to mention a vice.
No, it's not arrogant. I simply refuse to let ancient goat herders convince me I have somehow offended god. THAT is arrogance, to assume you speak for god, and to insist other people must live in accordance to your delusions.
I don't hate myself or life enough to let myself be burdened by such nonsense. And if we can somehow offend or transgress against god, then god has some pretty serious issues because we're humans and this entity is supposed to be god. Not very god-like if beings so far beneath this being anger him enough to provoke murderous rage, genocide, and eternal damnation.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

• Bad example to others
  • Denial of sinning
As examples

Interesting. I can't feel guilty about what others have not learned from my bad example.

Remté

No, it's not arrogant. I simply refuse to let ancient goat herders convince me I have somehow offended god. THAT is arrogance, to assume you speak for god, and to insist other people must live in accordance to your delusions.
I don't hate myself or life enough to let myself be burdened by such nonsense. And if we can somehow offend or transgress against god, then god has some pretty serious issues because we're humans and this entity is supposed to be god. Not very god-like if beings so far beneath this being anger him enough to provoke murderous rage, genocide, and eternal damnation.
The word sin has a wider meaning than that

"an offense against religious or moral law b: an action that is or is felt to be highly reprehensibleit's a sin to waste food c: an often serious shortcoming : FAULT 2a: transgression of the law of God b: a vitiated state of human nature in which the self is estranged from God "

Definition of SIN

"Old English synn "moral wrongdoing, injury, mischief, enmity, feud, guilt, crime, offense against God, misdeed," from Proto-Germanic *sundiō "sin" (source also of Old Saxon sundia, Old Frisian sende, Middle Dutch sonde, Dutch zonde, German Sünde"sin, transgression, trespass, offense," extended forms), probably ultimately "it is true," i.e. "the sin is real" (compare Gothic sonjis, Old Norse sannr "true"), from PIE *snt-ya-, a collective form from *es-ont-"becoming," present participle of root *es-"to be.""

sin | Origin and meaning of sin by Online Etymology Dictionary

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The word sin has a wider meaning than that

"an offense against religious or moral law b: an action that is or is felt to be highly reprehensibleit's a sin to waste food c: an often serious shortcoming : FAULT 2a: transgression of the law of God b: a vitiated state of human nature in which the self is estranged from God "
We are discussing religion. I simply refuse to let some arrogant prick human tell me I have somehow offended the divine. We're human. What drugs or mental illness lets him think he can rightly speak for such a thing?

Remté

We are discussing religion. I simply refuse to let some arrogant prick human tell me I have somehow offended the divine. We're human. What drugs or mental illness lets him think he can rightly speak for such a thing?
Who are you speaking of?

This isn't limited to religion but it reaches ethics and morality as well.

GoodbyeDave

The concept of sin is confined to the monotheistic religions. The gods can be angered if you insult them, swear false oaths in their names (making them accessories), or break your promises to them. But they are not concerned with punishing your bad behaviour to other humans (although they may deplore it): it's for us to sort ourselves out by creating and enforcing human laws.

Remté

The concept of sin is confined to the monotheistic religions. The gods can be angered if you insult them, swear false oaths in their names (making them accessories), or break your promises to them. But they are not concerned with punishing your bad behaviour to other humans (although they may deplore it): it's for us to sort ourselves out by creating and enforcing human laws.
What is all this based on? The concept of sin is not limited from anyone with a free will and an awarness of right and wrong.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This isn't limited to religion but it reaches ethics and morality as well.
Ethics and moralities tend to not use the word "sin" either. Some do, but so many of those who influenced modern thought didn't. They tended to use words such as "depriving liberty," "harm," "theft," "malevolent," or "ill intentioned."

Remté

Ethics and moralities tend to not use the word "sin" either. Some do, but so many of those who influenced modern thought didn't. They tended to use words such as "depriving liberty," "harm," "theft," "malevolent," or "ill intentioned."
So? You are still vouching for not letting yourself be burdened by worries of your own misdeeds. But it is good for everyone to consider their own behaviour and its consequences for themselves as well as to those around them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So? You are still vouching for not letting yourself be burdened by worries of your own misdeeds. But it is good for everyone to consider their own behaviour and its consequences for themselves as well as to those around them.
I do consider my actions. But I don't hang my head low enough for the collar and shackles of sin to reach around my neck.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There is always the main sin, but it's easy enough to build more around it.​

• Bad example to others
  • Denial of sinning
As examples

• Bad example to others - I always tell others don't to go by my example. To verify the truth of things for themselves. If they follow my example, that's their bad choice if they didn't take the time for themselves to verify the truth. Especially after I warned them.
  • Denial of sinning - No point in this. God would know everything, know all your sins. So an exercise in futility.
  • Lying regarding it even to one's own self - I see this in the same light as denial. Can't hid the truth from God so why bother trying to hide it at all.
  • Failure to learn from the past if they don't - Yes, this is pretty bad in my opinion. Maybe going forward we make mistakes but once made we know those mistakes how could we make them again without intention?
The first 3, no. There is no point, motivation, reason for them. Just not something I'd ever see a point in doing.

The last, sure. It is very important IMO. We had to deal with the consequences the first time. Why would we want to deal with them a second time?

It doesn't mattered to me what is stressed by religion. This is just how I go about life. In the religion I was brought up in, only the first can I ever recall being stressed.

The second two, it's generally assumed that being a believer/follower that we are sinners is accepted as truth.

The last is irrelevant. All sin has been paid for.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

• Bad example to others
  • Denial of sinning
As examples

My religion, Matrixism, postulates we are living in a simulated reality; we neither know anything definitive about our Creator nor base reality. In the Matrix, morality is determined collectively by us simulated beings and our simulated reality, which may or may not be indicative of our Creator's virtues.or simulator's morality.

Remté

My religion, Matrixism, postulates we are living in a simulated reality; we neither know anything definitive about our Creator nor base reality. In the Matrix, morality is determined collectively by us simulated beings and our simulated reality, which may or may not be indicative of our Creator's virtues.or simulator's morality.
So how do you answer the questions I posed?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sin reaches everyone's neck. Whether you like to ignore it or not.
Nope. It as an ailment I am not afflicted with. It applies to me just as much as the tenets of the Bhagavad Gida, Karma, "law" of attraction, and the Covenant between the Hebrews and Yahweh. None of them apply to me.