• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are protestants right to have rejected monasticism?

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
I almost want to say "asceticism" rather than "monasticism" to avoid focusing on on any particular form, since there are differences in practice between different monastic orders at different times. So by "monasticism" I mean the ascetic efforts made by Christians that are intended to bring one closer to union with God and cultivate Christian virtues like humility, love, patience, kindness, gentleness, and self-control, usually involving isolation from secular life in some fashion.

Monastic traditions began as very concentrated efforts towards that goal, primarily centered around fleeing worldly pursuits in favor of "prayer without ceasing", pursued with the sort of focus implied by the parable of the hidden treasure or the pearl of great price.

Luther, Calvin, and the reformers rejected monastic traditions (and by extrapolation ascetic practices more generally) primarily because they interpreted these practices within the context of "justification by faith", that is: in the context of salvation and it being beyond the possibility of being earned by works. They considered monastics to be trying to earn salvation, and called for the abolition of monasteries, for the return of monks and nuns to secular life, and for the complete renunciation of monastic worship as "blasphemous" and "wasted effort."

Examples:

Did Luther and Calvin Favor Evangelical Monasticism?

The Lutheran Augsberg Confession:

11] They taught that vows were equal to Baptism; they taught that by this kind of life they merited forgiveness of sins and justification before God. 12] Yea, they added that the monastic life not only merited righteousness before God but even greater things, because it kept not only the precepts, but also the so-called "evangelical counsels."

41] Paul says, Gal. 5:4: Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the Law, ye are fallen from grace. 42] To those, therefore, who want to be justified by their vows Christ is made of no effect, and they fall from grace. 43] For also these who ascribe justification to vows ascribe to their own works that which properly belongs to the glory of Christ.​

Calvin's Institutes:

The thing itself declares that all who retire into monasteries withdraw from the Church. For how? Do they not separate themselves from the legitimate society of the faithful, by acquiring for themselves a special ministry and private administration of the sacraments? What is meant by destroying the communion of the Church if this is not? (Institutes 4.13.14)​

My question is: were the reformers right to reject monasticism?

I'm going to argue that they were wrong, mostly because they mischaracterized the nature of ascetic practice and monastic life. That is, they are wrong to say that it is an effort to win salvation by works. Beyond that, I think they ignored both quite a bit of scriptural exhortation as well as a very rich and longstanding Christian tradition. But this post is long enough, so before I argue anything, what do you think?

rusra02

Premium Member
I think the answer is quite evident in what the Bible says: “I do not request that you take them out of the world, but that you watch over them because of the wicked one. They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world. Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth." (John 17:15-17) the early Christians were zealous preachers and did not seek refuge by withdrawing from their society. At the same time, they remained unspotted from the evils of their society. (James 1:27) Their separation from the world was spiritual, not physical.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
I think the answer is quite evident in what the Bible says: “I do not request that you take them out of the world, but that you watch over them because of the wicked one. They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world. Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth." (John 17:15-17) the early Christians were zealous preachers and did not seek refuge by withdrawing from their society. At the same time, they remained unspotted from the evils of their society. (James 1:27) Their separation from the world was spiritual, not physical.

I think this is a more reasonable criticism than the one that claims monastics are attempting to earn salvation by works, but I don't think it can be settled by an appeal to one passage.It seems like a bit of a stretch to me to read "I do not ask you to take them out of the world" as an injunction against monastic communities. Those communities still exist in the world. There are multiple ways of understanding "take them out of the world" here: something like a literal ascension compared to taking them out of secular society, of course.

But if I look at examples of Christian cultures where monasticism is more prevalent than in the west, those monastic communities are very much "in the world" in the sense of being an important resource to their cultures. In the eastern orthodox churches, there is a vast volume of spiritual writings by monks which I've found very helpful in developing prayer and understanding virtue. And this makes sense, people who have devoted their lives to those tasks develop an expertise that might not be easy to attain while balancing all the other responsibilities of a family, work, and etc. In Greece, many thousands of pilgrims visit Mount Athos every year and feel they benefit from the presence of those monks. I feel like the Christian tradition in general would lose a lot of richness if not for the contributions from those who've dedicated their entire lives to developing this sort of spiritual life, and given that they help make those topics accessible to the rest of us (and in places like Athos they are directly available as spiritual elders; a practice I would wish to see more of in the west), there isn't as much of a question of monastics being entirely isolated. An entirely isolated monasticism would seem like an aberration to me. It's more about being able to devote the entirety of one's life, which requires a setting that allows for that to happen.

To try to make the point a bit better about not resolving the issue based on a single verse, I could quote from Matthew: "there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it," or Paul's exhortation to "pray without ceasing" and argue that those passages are fairly fundamental to the origins of Christian monasticism, but I wouldn't argue that they establish the necessity of monasticism from a biblical standpoint either. Monastic practice is a natural expression of the development of Christian life and culture, it's not explicitly biblical, but was founded on attempts to take exhortations like the parable of the pearl of great price, which I mentioned, very seriously, as well as Paul's exhortations to holiness and to the "running of the race". If it is true that Christians should serve and love their neighbors, and that injunction would seem to rule out a completely selfish isolation, nevertheless much monasticism is not of that kind, nor ascetic practices in general, and there are other Christian principles that are also important.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
In the church of England they did not, there have always been some monastic orders and nunneries.

see Wiki for a long list........... There are communities of sisters and brothers in many countries including the USA.
Anglican religious order - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm aware of that. I'm sorry for giving the impression that rejection of monasticism was universal within "Protestantism". In any case, the question is about Luther and Calvin's rejection specifically.

GoodbyeDave

In Europe there are a few Lutheran monasteries. Some are modern (like all the Anglican orders), but Amelungsborn in Germany has a continuous history back to the Middle Ages.

As a pagan, I'm obviously not interested in the theological debates and unsympathetic to the idea of monasticism. But from the historian's point of view, the dissolution in England was not a good thing: it removed many medical, social, and educational facilities which the state did not adequately replace.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
[QUOTE="DavidMcCann, post: 4177561, member: 52agricultural advances it was a disaster rope there are a few Lutheran monasteries. Some are modern (like all the Anglican orders), but Amelungsborn in Germany has a continuous history back to the Middle Ages.

As a pagan, I'm obviously not interested in the theological debates and unsympathetic to the idea of monasticism. But from the historian's point of view, the dissolution in England was not a good thing: it removed many medical, social, and educational facilities which the state did not adequately replace.[/QUOTE]

Quite true socially and medically and even for agriculture and the woolen industry it was a disaster.
However there are always winners in the break up of such a tightly controlled monopoly, many of them would have been thr more entrepreneurial artizans.

JRMcC

I'm going to argue that they were wrong, mostly because they mischaracterized the nature of ascetic practice and monastic life. That is, they are wrong to say that it is an effort to win salvation by works. Beyond that, I think they ignored both quite a bit of scriptural exhortation as well as a very rich and longstanding Christian tradition. But this post is long enough, so before I argue anything, what do you think?

I agree with you. It seems that many Christians dismiss Ascetic spirituality as selfish. I think it's silly and almost irrational. Leaving mundane life and renouncing wealth/worldly pleasures is far from selfish or easy. I kind of seems that the spiritually lazy have teamed up to denounce those who aren't.
I also agree that communities could benefit from the wisdom of those who devote their life to spirituality. Right now we have a lot of Christians who believe and go to church regularly, but they don't seem to really put their religion into practice. I think modern ascetic monks could act as a good role model for common Christians. I'm pretty darn sure Jesus' message was not "just believe in me and go about your normal life." Monks can be those who show laypeople what someone who really follows Jesus as a role model looks like, and yes, monasteries were helpful to the communities around them.