• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are most Satanists familiar with Ayn Rand?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
"This is, however, incorrect: LaVey himself explicity acknowledged that his religion was just Ayn Rand's philosophy with ceremony and ritual added" (Ellis2001:180) Contemporary Religious Satanism: A Critical Anthology - Jesper Aagaard Petersen - Google Books

and - shes on the CoS website.... Satanism and Objectivism

Ya learn something new everyday. :D Thanks Octavia. I don't label myself as a LaVeyan Satanist but I am a social liberal and also a staunch capitalist.

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Oh yah, I forgot to mention that I am also a Social Meritocracist.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Barrackubus

Residential Occultist
I remember years ago, when I was way younger than I am now I seem to think remembering a work from her called Atlas Shrugged....is this her?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Here is a sniplet from Ayn Rand's book, Atlas Shrugged. It is part of a speech made by the character John Galt.

crossfire-albums-misc-picture3940-atlas-shrugged.png

Mindmaster

Premium Member
For me as a Satanist I would say that Ayn Rand is irrelevant, and the bits LaVey borrowed (there is some OBVIOUS rewording if you compare the two works) are too. I think Machiavelli was far more relevant than either of them as the focus is not what you think about your perceived universe but what you are doing with it! :) The more aggressive concepts LaVey just borrowed from Ragnar Redbeard's _Might is Right_ which basically was the inspiration for hedonism, social Darwinism, and more. I would say that these two books together entail 90% of what is _The Satanic Bible_ the rest of it were some basic Satanic Watchtower rituals (merely copied, re-symbolized, and stolen from other hermetic magic groups after a few verse changes), bastardized Enochian keys (the originals use all sorts of Christian symbols), and similar. Very little of _TSB_ actually seems to be LaVey's work taken in context, but I'll give him credit for bundling and marketing it out. Ayn Rand was about as dull as a box of rocks, and Ragner was a pseudonym for someone no one knew.

You can read some more about it here:

Hypocrisy, Plagiarism and LaVey By John Smith, 2001

Admittedly, this was written by a Baptist preacher doing research on real Satanism but the information applies.

_Might is Right_ is public domain at this point, so you can find it here.

Last edited:

jasonwill2

For me as a Satanist I would say that Ayn Rand is irrelevant, and the bits LaVey borrowed (there is some OBVIOUS rewording if you compare the two works) are too. I think Machiavelli was far more relevant than either of them as the focus is not what you think about your perceived universe but what you are doing with it! :) The more aggressive concepts LaVey just borrowed from Ragnar Redbeard's _Might is Right_ which basically was the inspiration for hedonism, social Darwinism, and more. I would say that these two books together entail 90% of what is _The Satanic Bible_ the rest of it were some basic Satanic Watchtower rituals (merely copied, re-symbolized, and stolen from other hermetic magic groups after a few verse changes), bastardized Enochian keys (the originals use all sorts of Christian symbols), and similar. Very little of _TSB_ actually seems to be LaVey's work taken in context, but I'll give him credit for bundling and marketing it out. Ayn Rand was about as dull as a box of rocks, and Ragner was a pseudonym for someone no one knew.

You can read some more about it here:

Hypocrisy, Plagiarism and LaVey By John Smith, 2001

Admittedly, this was written by a Baptist preacher doing research on real Satanism but the information applies.

_Might is Right_ is public domain at this point, so you can find it here.

Awesome link dude I need to read Might is Right later. As well I can see things I recognize word for word in teh Book of Satan in the STB >.>