• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are mind-altering substances sinful?

AlexWylde

Just a fool.
Just a question I thought I would pose to the good folks at RF. Is drinking beer, in and of itself, a sinful act? Or, for that matter, smoking marijuana? Smoking crack? Shootin' up some H?!?!?

I know that for a lot of people, these are very, very, very bad things. When you see a drunken father who abuses his family, it's difficult to say that alcohol isn't bad. But, then again, there are plenty of people who use alcohol/drugs and live completely normal/moral lives.

IMO, it depends on the mindset of the user. If you are using a drug as a cop-out and a way to avoid the pressures of everyday life, then you are using irresponsibly and abdicating your duties to deal with life. But, if you really just are using for a little thrill/enjoyment, and don't participate in any other sinful activities while using, then what harm is done? I've heard people say they've had the most religious experiences of their lives while on psychedelic mushrooms and other substances. Were they sinning?

IDK, I'm just throwing that out there. I'm excited to see what your opinions are. And please, use some sort of reasoning here. Don't say, "because my teacher said it's bad".

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
If it only directly harms you, then it's not a sin. But it's not recommended. ;)

If it's like the drunken ..."fah-thehrrrrr..." then, yeah, it's a sin. But not the actual act of drinking alcohol, but the horrible deeds brought upon by irresponsible drinking are sins in my opinion. To me, being "under the influence of *name substance*" is no excuse, and should still be punished with the full extent.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I like mind altering substances. :D I don't believe in sins and stuff though, so I shouldn't even be responding, hm?? :D

Well I'm a Theist and I don't believe in sin so...... :D.

I don't believe mind altering substances to be sinful in anyway, though to mach of it(or anything) can be bad for ones body. If one use such substances be careful.

everything alters the mind but your probaly talking about major alterations, if they are contained no big problem but if you use them without safty (group friends, cab,hospital nearby etc.)you are jepordising yourself and others and that is a sin if im not mistaken

.lava

Veteran Member
Just a question I thought I would pose to the good folks at RF. Is drinking beer, in and of itself, a sinful act? Or, for that matter, smoking marijuana? Smoking crack? Shootin' up some H?!?!?

I know that for a lot of people, these are very, very, very bad things. When you see a drunken father who abuses his family, it's difficult to say that alcohol isn't bad. But, then again, there are plenty of people who use alcohol/drugs and live completely normal/moral lives.

IMO, it depends on the mindset of the user. If you are using a drug as a cop-out and a way to avoid the pressures of everyday life, then you are using irresponsibly and abdicating your duties to deal with life. But, if you really just are using for a little thrill/enjoyment, and don't participate in any other sinful activities while using, then what harm is done? I've heard people say they've had the most religious experiences of their lives while on psychedelic mushrooms and other substances. Were they sinning?

IDK, I'm just throwing that out there. I'm excited to see what your opinions are. And please, use some sort of reasoning here. Don't say, "because my teacher said it's bad".

killing your brain cells is considered as sin.

AlexWylde

Just a fool.
if they are not poisonous, then what's causing effect on perception?

The substances psylocin and psylocybin. All these substances do is change the amounts of certain neurotransmitters in your brain. That's what any drug does. It just changes the amounts/ratios of chemicals that are already in your head. Most of the negative effects of drugs come from the non-psychoactive chemicals that they are usually ingested with. (Take marijuana for example: THC is one of 400+ chemicals in the cannabis plant. While THC is the main psychoactive ingredient, and is not harmful in and of itself, many of the other chemicals can be carcinogenic, especially when smoked.) However, in the case of mushrooms, non of the other chemicals are toxic in any way. It is impossible to overdose on mushrooms.

ANYWAYS.... I'm kind of straying here. I guess a crucial question is, if there is a substance that has ABSOLUTELY ZERO negative physical or mental effects, but changes your state of consciousness for a brief period of time, AND you are using it completely responsibly and aren't more likely to do things you wouldn't do if you weren't on this substance, would it be unpleasing or sinful in the eyes of God to use this substance? Let's say I ingest some of this substance, and then go study the Bible/Qu'ran/[Insert religious text] for 2 hours, and then go on a 10 mile run, and THEN go offer my time at a local homeless shelter. Have I sinned?

Last edited:

.lava

Veteran Member
But non-poisonous stiff can also alter perception.

fear does it very well or relaxation. experienced both.
i don't wish to be misunderstood. i am not against deepen perception. i'd love to experience more. not for fun though. to learn. so, i do not prefer to have illusions.

.lava

Veteran Member
The substances psylocin and psylocybin. All these substances do is change the amounts of certain neurotransmitters in your brain. That's what any drug does. It just changes the amounts/ratios of chemicals that are already in your head. Most of the negative effects of drugs come from the non-psychoactive chemicals that they are usually ingested with. (Take marijuana for example: THC is one of 400+ chemicals in the cannabis plant. While THC is the main psychoactive ingredient, and is not harmful in and of itself, many of the other chemicals can be carcinogenic, especially when smoked.) However, in the case of mushrooms, non of the other chemicals are toxic in any way. It is impossible to overdose on mushrooms.

ANYWAYS.... I'm kind of straying here. I guess a crucial question is, if there is a substance that has ABSOLUTELY ZERO negative physical or mental effects, but changes your state of consciousness for a brief period of time, AND you are using it completely responsibly and aren't more likely to do things you wouldn't do if you weren't on this substance, would it be unpleasing or sinful in the eyes of God to use this substance? Let's say I ingest some of this substance, and then go study the Bible/Qu'ran/[Insert religious text] for 2 hours, and then go on a 10 mile run, and THEN go offer my time at a local homeless shelter. Have I sinned?

i don't know.

AlexWylde

Just a fool.
i don't know.

That's why I asked the question. To get your opinion:D. It should make you rethink your general perception of drug use. People often associate drug ABUSE with drug USE. I am certainly not a proponent of drug ABUSE, but am interested in your opinions regarding responsible drug USE.

.lava

Veteran Member
That's why I asked the question. To get your opinion:D. It should make you rethink your general perception of drug use. People often associate drug ABUSE with drug USE. I am certainly not a proponent of drug ABUSE, but am interested in your opinions regarding responsible drug USE.

who's doing judgement if it was using or abusing? that is the problem. i lost friends over this. they thought they knew what they were doing until 'the end'. however i never heard bad stuff about mushrooms yet. still there is one thing certain. i do not want to buy or 'plant' perception. i want to earn it.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Well, I would never use non-prescription drugs, simply because I'm afraid becoming addicted to them, and that is one of the few fears I have that I will not relinquish. But if someone else wants to do drugs, as long as they don't smoke around me, that's fine. (I have asthma)