• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are humans predisposed (biologically or otherwise) to see the world through a spiritual lense?

HonestJoe

Only indirectly. I think the key element is our imagination. It is that which has allowed human society and culture to develop to the point we have (and beyond), the ability to see how things could be and aspire to it rather than the shorter term and more direct thinking of other animals.

The problem is that imagination can also lead to see how things might be but, in fact, aren't and we don't always investigate or clarify those things. Some of those have developed in to concepts of spirituality and religion. It's a natural consequence of our psychology but I would suggest more of a side-effect than anything else.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
I believe we are predisposed to fill in the gaps of our knowledge, to connect the dots. Our minds work by forming models to represent our reality (induction). When we have part of a picture, we invariably provide a complete picture. Even if it's a tentative picture or even if it's several possible pictures; we are predisposed to create a complete mental image of our environment with which we interact.

Nothing fills more gaps than magic or divine.