• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheist Skeptics?

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
as I thought, you are not listening to what is being said and are replying to what you want instead.

it is not any fault of mine you are stuck on one side of the fence and are unable to see any other PoV.

Until such time as you address the point I actually presented...

Okay then, first of all if I did not address some of your points you are being hypocritical as you just addressed none of mine.

Second of all show me what points I did not address.

Sorry that I am not so naive as to take your assertions as fact without a good argument.

I have been part of an Abrahamic religion, a Left-Hand Path religion, a Neopagan religion, and I have been a natural theist before. I think I have a decent understanding of other viewpoints.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
This is obviously relevant to your post. Please don't tell me you are a troll.

In case you don't understand basic logic, the default position to a claim is to not believe it and that is what a skeptic does.

You're right, I am very doubtful that the universe has no gods. Can you provide evidence otherwise?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
For the purpose of this conversation we'll define skeptic as: "a person who maintains a doubting attitude, as toward values, plans,statements, or the character of others."

So are atheist skeptics? (Not necessarily in relation to God(s) but in general.)
An atheists maintains a doubting attitude toward god or gods.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
You're right, I am very doubtful that the universe has no gods. Can you provide evidence otherwise?

I am very doubtful that Lord Helix did not create the universe.

Can you prove otherwise?

If you use the switching the burden of proof fallacy you would have to believe contradictory statements being true simultaneously.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I have to disagree with you there. More people are gullible now than ever. With all the crazy stuff going on in the world people are quick to cling on to something to help them cope. They dont question near enough. They find something that makes them feel warm and fuzzy then dive in head first. Sure for some its religion, but others its various idealogies, drugs, alchohol, and other pleasures of the flesh. Rarely does anyone stop and question anything nowadays.
That's just a deficiency in critical thinking, though.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Can you prove otherwise?

If you use the switching the burden of proof fallacy you would have to believe contradictory statements being true simultaneously.
There is no burden of proof laid on fantasy, though.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
But not for gods?

My bad, I didn't understand what you're asking. I do consider myself a skeptic towards gods as well, but unlike with physicalism or atheism I've seen extremely convincing evidence and reasoning for gods. But I certainly wouldn't consider myself a "gnostic" or certain. I would say I probably debate myself daily.

Can you prove otherwise?

I'm not asking you to disprove any one god, I'm asking what makes you believe there are NO gods at all, and to support the physicalist position it would entail. In fact I'm not so much interested in the atheism itself than how the world then works and the evidence for that.

We actually just had a thread on double standards in atheism just recently. You literally claim to need evidence and reasoning, then refuse to provide any for your own position. I've found this almost universal among atheists.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
...I'm asking what makes you believe there are NO gods at all, and to support the physicalist position it would entail.
I hope you don't mean that as a strike at atheism. I'm an atheist idealist, and I can assure you physicalism need not play a role in disbelieving in god or gods.