• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are all gods illiterate

outhouse

Atheistically
there have been hundreds of deitys in the last 6000 years of written text, cuniform and stone writing.

Not one word has ever been written by beings so powerfull, some are said to have created everything, visited earth, sent there son down to die as a mortal man.

Are all gods and deitys illiterate.?

My take is that they all are illiterate. If there was a higher power it would not be hard to jot down a few sentences for the benifit mankind, unless they just didnt know how to read or write.

I understand hinduism may have ancient books authored by self proclaimed deitys but their divinity is up for debate and not part of this thread.

Mudcat

Galactic Hitchhiker
there have been hundreds of deitys in the last 6000 years of written text, cuniform and stone writing.

Not one word has ever been written by beings so powerfull, some are said to have created everything, visited earth, sent there son down to die as a mortal man.

My take is that they all are illiterate. If there was a higher power it would not be hard to jot down a few sentences for the benifit mankind, unless they just didnt know how to read or write.

I understand hinduism may have ancient books authored by self proclaimed deitys but their divinity is up for debate and not part of this thread.
Wasn't it claimed that the Hebrew God wrote the 10 commandments?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
If God wrote a book who would believe it was God who wrote it?

They say sometimes God writes on people's hearts, but most people don't have the nerve to look in there (lest they see all the other nasty stuff they don't want to believe exists).

outhouse

Atheistically
If God wrote a book who would believe it was God who wrote it?

They say sometimes God writes on people's hearts, but most people don't have the nerve to look in there (lest they see all the other nasty stuff they don't want to believe exists).

I honestly think if a a all powerfull deity wrote a book on how he wanted his people to live it would be obvious by words alone.

that and he would have a really sick glowing avatar lol :D

ellenjanuary

That's kinda funny. :)

outhouse

Atheistically
Wasn't it claimed that the Hebrew God wrote the 10 commandments?

claimed only and it has zero historicity.

fact is much of the ten commandments mirror the egyptian book of the dead, almost word for word. Funny exactly where moses is said to come from who also has zero historicity.

no magic lightning carving stone tablets with charlton heston holding them :) by historical standards

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The ancients were a lot nicer to the gods. Whens the last time you sacrificed a bull? ;)

“The gods, fostered by sacrifice,
Will give you desired enjoyments;
But he who enjoys the gods’ gifts
Without offering is a thief.”
-Bhagavad-Gita 3:12

:D

Then again, I don't think Lord Siva and his family would much appreciate the sacrifice of a bull. They're content with anything given in love.

ellenjanuary

its kind of a multi faceted question

quagmire touched on a good subject as well

I "commune" with the LC through imagery and temporal emotional synergy - we're talking bandwidth here - communion through Word is horribly inefficient. If someone's hearing the voice of god, they oughta have that checked. ;)

Mudcat

Galactic Hitchhiker
claimed only and it has zero historicity.
Outhouse,

The concept that my dog created the universe last Thursday and implanted all our memories into our heads is not implausible.

How can you assign a zero value to any potentiality? Especially in regards to ancient history. It is certainly not like all ancient historical facts are known.
<snip>
no magic lightning carving stone tablets with charlton heston holding them :) by historical standards
I missed that part in old testament. :p

waitasec

Veteran Member
i think if god wrote a book, no one would believe it, so instead of writing a book god would make itself empirically understood in a straight forward fashion (if god is omniscient) instead of being so ambiguous..therefore i think the idea of a god who wants to have a personal relationship with us is completely a man made concept to justify why people do the things they do...

orcel

Amature Theologian
Why should we expect God to commune with us on our terms, our standards and by our rules? Are we not being foolish when believe we can fault and belittle God for not obeying our wishes?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Why should we expect God to commune with us on our terms, our standards and by our rules?

...because it's by those standards and rules that we can be most effectively communicated and reasoned with, perhaps?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Why should we expect God to commune with us on our terms, our standards and by our rules? Are we not being foolish when believe we can fault and belittle God for not obeying our wishes?

because the playing field has to be leveled in order to have a personal relationship with the almighty...or anyone for that matter.
besides the bible is full of stories where god supposedly communes with his creation...
who's belittling god...i'm belittling mankind's flawed imagination...i'm allowed :D

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God

No there are plenty of books out there that have helped people look for God, become better people, and ultimately find God. So no, not all diety's are illiterate or fakes. Some are actually God Realized and serve as a pure channel to spread God's true message. Yogananda my Guru is one of many. Read his books and wonder no longer of the lack of literacy and understanding in some dieties.

outhouse

Atheistically
i think if god wrote a book, no one would believe it

I disagree

it would be obvious because it would be perfect literature

infalible so to speak.

maybe a sick glowing cross avatar :) on the cover or transparent paper