• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arabic 11 words for love

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There was no really good place for this thread, but I thought there was psychological truth so it's here. It naturally ties in with the thread about translation: How can it be? And it ties in with a note about the poverty of English when it comes to the word "love". After all, those of us who speak English never think of love as spreading tar on a camel to soothe it o_O:eek::confused::)

I'm curious to get feedback from Arabic speakers such as @firedragon and @Debater Slayer to mention a couple of people.

Greek has at least 4 words for love. Arabic has 11. Here's what they have in common which leads to The 11 levels of love in Arabic In the 2nd reference, the creator of that page said "In Arabic, love has many degrees but I will only be listing 11." I wonder at the selection of 11 and the evocative order they're listed in:
  1. Al- Hawa, الْهَوَى“ Sweet sweet is the greeting of the eyes,” (Keats). Al- haha translates to attraction, and the root verb is هَوَى, meaning ‘to blow.’ The first degree of love is like the wind, it is unavoidable, it is felt, and it can rise or fall.
2. Alaqah, الْعَلاقَةُ The word الْعَلاقَةُ, translates to the attachment. After the initial attraction comes the schoolboy innocence of attachment. The root of alaqah is عَلِقَ (alaq), which means ‘to cling.’ To this degree, love clings to the heart as a tick clings to the skin.

5. Sha’af, Law’ah, Li’aj (الشّعَفُ / اللَّوْعَةُ / اللعَاج) Sha’af translates to passion. After desire is the intense flame of passion. To this degree, love is intense, steamy, and also pleasurable. The root word of sha’af is شَعَفَ, which translates to “to spread tar on a camel.” Tar is placed on a camel to soothe it from its ailments, it is a remedy for managing. Passion is the tar that soothes the ailment of loneliness, lovelessness, and depression. Passion is often what heals love and it keeps it alive. Passion is a flame that has two end results, one that is easily ignited and easily put out, and the other which leads to affliction.

9. Tabl, التَّبْل This degree of love tabl, التَّبْل, translates to malady. At this stage, enslaved love becomes an incurable sickness. The verb تَبَلَ means to destroy and love becomes self-destructive, as it begins its descent towards madness. The heart begins to rot on the inside out, and your love, once a beacon of light, is now your enemy. Love that was once pleasurable is now diluted, deafening, and confounded. It becomes umbrage, as your mind loses its validity. The spiral downfall into insanity is your inevitable future unless you have the strength to abandon this love before it fully destroys you. You must destroy it before it destroys you.

11. Huyum, الْهُيُوْمُ The last and most severe degree of love is الْهُيُوْمُ, which translates to insanity. At this stage, love embodies the complete loss of reason. The lover loses his sense and cannot fathom a life without their love so they reside in the refugee of lunacy. Insanity is the eventual fate of excessive love which usually occurs when the lovers are separated or when one of them moves on. The lover becomes destitute, he officially abandons his home, and wonders from place to place until death overtakes him.

firedragon

Veteran Member
There was no really good place for this thread, but I thought there was psychological truth so it's here. It naturally ties in with the thread about translation: How can it be? And it ties in with a note about the poverty of English when it comes to the word "love". After all, those of us who speak English never think of love as spreading tar on a camel to soothe it o_O:eek::confused::)

I'm curious to get feedback from Arabic speakers such as @firedragon and @Debater Slayer to mention a couple of people.

Greek has at least 4 words for love. Arabic has 11. Here's what they have in common which leads to The 11 levels of love in Arabic In the 2nd reference, the creator of that page said "In Arabic, love has many degrees but I will only be listing 11." I wonder at the selection of 11 and the evocative order they're listed in:
  1. Al- Hawa, الْهَوَى“ Sweet sweet is the greeting of the eyes,” (Keats). Al- haha translates to attraction, and the root verb is هَوَى, meaning ‘to blow.’ The first degree of love is like the wind, it is unavoidable, it is felt, and it can rise or fall.
2. Alaqah, الْعَلاقَةُ The word الْعَلاقَةُ, translates to the attachment. After the initial attraction comes the schoolboy innocence of attachment. The root of alaqah is عَلِقَ (alaq), which means ‘to cling.’ To this degree, love clings to the heart as a tick clings to the skin.

5. Sha’af, Law’ah, Li’aj (الشّعَفُ / اللَّوْعَةُ / اللعَاج) Sha’af translates to passion. After desire is the intense flame of passion. To this degree, love is intense, steamy, and also pleasurable. The root word of sha’af is شَعَفَ, which translates to “to spread tar on a camel.” Tar is placed on a camel to soothe it from its ailments, it is a remedy for managing. Passion is the tar that soothes the ailment of loneliness, lovelessness, and depression. Passion is often what heals love and it keeps it alive. Passion is a flame that has two end results, one that is easily ignited and easily put out, and the other which leads to affliction.

9. Tabl, التَّبْل This degree of love tabl, التَّبْل, translates to malady. At this stage, enslaved love becomes an incurable sickness. The verb تَبَلَ means to destroy and love becomes self-destructive, as it begins its descent towards madness. The heart begins to rot on the inside out, and your love, once a beacon of light, is now your enemy. Love that was once pleasurable is now diluted, deafening, and confounded. It becomes umbrage, as your mind loses its validity. The spiral downfall into insanity is your inevitable future unless you have the strength to abandon this love before it fully destroys you. You must destroy it before it destroys you.

11. Huyum, الْهُيُوْمُ The last and most severe degree of love is الْهُيُوْمُ, which translates to insanity. At this stage, love embodies the complete loss of reason. The lover loses his sense and cannot fathom a life without their love so they reside in the refugee of lunacy. Insanity is the eventual fate of excessive love which usually occurs when the lovers are separated or when one of them moves on. The lover becomes destitute, he officially abandons his home, and wonders from place to place until death overtakes him.

Eesar or eethar as some spell it in English. Then there is Ullaaf which is slightly different meaning. Then you get Thaym which is like when you become so devoted due to love. Like enslaved. Many more really. Interesting topic. I have never thought of this. The thing is we will not really think of this being some kind of step by step or levels of love or/and infatuation etc. It is used as and when situation arises. For example, lets say you are petting someone or something, that's a different word and that means love as well. Then let's say you have some kind of confidence in someone. An affection that has confidence deeply rooted in it, that could carry a different word for love. A word like Hub will mean a completely different thing. But I suppose in English it would translated as love. But it actually means a likeable nature. You know something edible to you. A person so likeable.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
This is really interesting but I thought Greek had more words for love then 4.

Philia
Philautia
Eros
Ludus
Agape
Storge
Pragma

To name a few.