• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple's iPad M2

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The iPad Pro 2022, which has a M2 chip, enjoyed a quiet release some weeks ago. The retail price on one is a rather hefty $800 or so, starting out.

So to make a long story short, there's a program or two I use, which I know can be used on iPad, and without cut back features, etc. And these programs, which can require horsepower, have the potential to run pretty fast on the iPad, in theory, since the M2 chip has i7-i9 level CPU performance and about GTX 1650 (laptop), to GTX 1650 Ti (laptop), GPU performance.

The problem? For the price of one, I could instead actually get a laptop with a whopping RTX 3060, as an example. Which would deliver at least twice the GPU performance as the iPad.

On the other hand, I don't like the idea of getting a RTX 3060 laptop. Thing will probably be as loud as my hair dryer, and be as hot as it, too. And be bulky.

Well, anyway, the iPad Pro M2 had a quiet release. Apple also released a new regular iPad, but it's sometimes a worse deal than the ones to choose from from the existing line - I won't get into explaining that much because with the new releases, some parts of their new & old lines of iPads to choose from, now don't make sense.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you need the portability of a laptop? For $800, you should be able to get a desktop that outperforms the laptop you mentioned.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Do you need the portability of a laptop? For $800, you should be able to get a desktop that outperforms the laptop you mentioned.

I mean, it is something to think about, yeah. I often feel that desktops offer better bang for the buck. I've also been known to tinker with them a lot when I have one, for better or worse.

But to answer the question, the question is "I'm not sure", since I might have some plans in the future to travel.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I mean, it is something to think about, yeah. I often feel that desktops offer better bang for the buck. I've also been known to tinker with them a lot when I have one, for better or worse.

But to answer the question, the question is "I'm not sure", since I might have some plans in the future to travel.

Yeah, now that the GPU crisis has eased up, a desktop is a far better option unless you need portability. You'd need a good monitor to maximize its potential, though. I've seen people consider 60 Hz monitors with a 3060 Ti-3070 and just cringed at the wasted performance.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
One thing I would like to add if people read my OP and are impressed by how far the iPad has kind of come... keep in mind that the OS/software still isn't as full-featured as a desktop experience in general. However, I have some niche uses where it could be about the same for me.