• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AOL not promoting freedom of expression?

Rex

Founder
A post I found on another forum:

----------------------
I sent an email message to my friends and family alerting them to twin bills quietly moving through Congress to reinstate the military draft. I inserted the link to the congressional bills in my email: http://www.congress.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:HR00163:mad:@@L&summ2=m&

Every one of the emails I sent to those who were @aol bounced back because "...the link in your message is too controversial..." I was floored! I can see if this was a spam message but it wasn't. (it even bounced my in-laws' and my sister's message.)

Some nerve - huh?
--------------------

WOW!!

:eek:

mersault

It is sad to think that the internet, once such a wild frontier with few laws or restrictions, is now being regulated at such a close level. But, I suppose that is to be expected when huge corporations (AOL Time Warner) are put in charge of millions of people's e-mail correspondance. Especially when I am still getting offers to enhance my manhood in my inbox every day. I guess that stuff's just not controversial; everyone hates it.

Runt

Except the bill has nothing to do with religious expression... it is the bill that has been brought up on this site, the one that wants to draft men and women for military and civilian service. I don't know what that has to do with religious expression. It would be religious expression if, I don't know, it involved RELIGION, but because it doesn't, it is not associated with religious expression.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Rex_Admin said:
It's both, an automated system reading emails.

Ah, and what in that email could have triggered the response it got? Surely emails with profanity or junk mail are not banned. So why was this? Very puzzling and concerning.... :confused:

Rex

Founder
Maize said:
Ah, and what in that email could have triggered the response it got? Surely emails with profanity or junk mail are not banned. So why was this? Very puzzling and concerning.... :confused:
That's the question.

I sent the following email via AOL and did not receive a notice saying the message was too controversial.

I AM WRITING YOU THIS EMAIL TO ALERT YOU to twin bills quietly moving through Congress to reinstate the military draft. I inserted the link to the congressional bills in my email: http://www.congress.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:HR00163:@@@L&summ2=m&

A VOTE FOR BUSH IS A VOTE FOR THE DRAFT!! IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR CHILDREN TO DIE IN A POINTLESS WAR FOR OIL, DON'T VOTE FOR BUSH!!!

The Republicans want to keep this bill hidden, but everyone should know about it! The draft could take place as soon as THREE MONTHS AFTER THE ELECTION!!!

PLEASE send this on to all your friends!!!

I tried to make my email pretty controversial....something other than the politics in the message must have been controversial I'm guessing.