• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone here know about Santeria/Espiritismo/Caribbean Folk Catholicism?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Hey everyone. Long time no post. Hope you're all well.

Long shot, but does anyone here have any experience with Afro-Caribbean traditions (Santeria, Espiritismo, Santerismo, Vodou, etc.) and Catholicism? Or know anyone who is a part of it?

I know the Church doesn't support it, but millions of practitioners in the PR, Cuba, DR, and Haiti fully commit themselves to both the Catholic faith and their other traditions; and somehow make it work? Are they truly at odds with the Church, or is it more complicated than that?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hey everyone. Long time no post. Hope you're all well.

Long shot, but does anyone here have any experience with Afro-Caribbean traditions (Santeria, Espiritismo, Santerismo, Vodou, etc.) and Catholicism? Or know anyone who is a part of it?

I know the Church doesn't support it, but millions of practitioners in the PR, Cuba, DR, and Haiti fully commit themselves to both the Catholic faith and their other traditions; and somehow make it work? Are they truly at odds with the Church, or is it more complicated than that?

No. The closest I got to that was receiving a consultation to see if the orishas wanted me to start on that journey. I think I was gyped. I would have gotten a reading from another but they went out of business.

It's a Highly reserved religion. Nothing online unless a follower broke their vows and told their rituals. You can get basic info but if you're interested you need a god mother/father and you need a consultation. That. And lots of money.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In the Yoruba religion Santería, godparents must have completed their santo or their Ifá. A person gets his Madrina and Yubona (co-godmother) or his Padrino and Yubon (co-godfather). A santero, aside from his co-godparents, may have an oluo (babalawo, initiate of ifa) who consults him with an ekuele (divining chain). Godparent - Wikipedia. A person who has been through the initiation process and completed all the required rituals is called an Oloricha, more commonly known as a Santero (male) or Santera (female). Only Olorichas can become godparents to another person. Once Olorichas initiate or "crown" another person, they become Babalorichas (male) and Iyalorichas (female). Babaloricha means father of the Orichas, and Iyaloricha means mother of the Orichas. This honorific title reflects the belief that the Godfather or Godmother is giving.... Godparents

Little insight as to the cost: https://treehozz.com/how-do-i-get-i...,a santero could cost anywhere from $5,000 to

Also, Santeria has some catholic elements but I was told once you get into it, that all drops off. Not sure of espiritesmo and, per the name, more catholic oriented... a bit more flexible practice though from reading you'd need initiation to really get into it.

Not something you can jump into at all.