• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any without Hell?

willy1590

Please,if your religion has temporary hell it still means you have Hell,I just don't think there are any with no punishment whatsoever.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Please,if your religion has temporary hell it still means you have Hell,I just don't think there are any with no punishment whatsoever.
Cheondoism has no afterlife, AFAIK, so there is one.
Universalism, too.
Judaism, too, often does not have Hell.

Deism.
JWs.
Mormonism, maybe?
Seventh Day Adventists.
Some interpretations of Taoism?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Yeah, well, the specific vision of a Hell you mention in your OP is pretty specific to certain specific traditions in certain specific religions, so... are you changing your criteria mid-thread? :shrug:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You started out saying...
Do any faiths or denominations of faiths believe in an afterlife that has no Hell?
In Hell I mean limbs ripped apart,boiling water on skin etc.

And now you're saying...

So, I'm confused, as are a lot of other posters as well.

willy1590

Yes well the temporary hell's still have punishment,I asked that no one say there faith has no Hell because it is only temporary.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hellish states of mind on this plane, let alone any other plane, would be temporary hells then. If a loved one dies, grieving is hell for a few days. Going to the dentist is hell. Is this what you mean? In that case we all face hells at one time or another, and no-one is immune.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Yes well the temporary hell's still have punishment,I asked that no one say there faith has no Hell because it is only temporary.

In many traditions, whether eternal or temporary, it's not a punishment but your reward/results/effects for a poor life in a "reap what you sow" sort of way. Not similar to a divine mind/entity sticking you in a dungeon to torture you...even for a bit.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
But what if the temporary hell has none of the physical torture you described? What if the only thing that makes it hell is the person's own conscience? I'm curious as to whether or not you believe there should be no consequences for anything wrong a person does. It kind of sounds like that's what you're saying, but I could be mistaken.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Are you feeling guilty about something, Sunshine? :)
:D Nope! Just looking for clarification. Mormonism does teach that after death, the wicked wil find themselves in a state of captivity, brought about by their disobedience. But this prison they are in is not one where they will be punished physically in any manner, and repentance and faith in Jesus Christ can immediately release them into a state of paradise.

willy1590

I don't believe in punishment for anyone,no matter how bad they were,isn't it that however an afterlife works,people get the bad parts taken away from them?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't believe in punishment for anyone,no matter how bad they were,isn't it that however an afterlife works,people get the bad parts taken away from them?
That's a really interesting perspective. I'm not quite sure what you're basing your beliefs on, but to each his own. I'm curious, though... Do you believe God has given mankind commandments by which we are to live? A moral code? An understanding of what's right and what's wrong? Or does He not care how we live our lives?