• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Quakers in here?

Are you a Quaker?

• Yes

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 70.0%

• Total voters

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I think, if memory serves, that 1 or 2 Quakers have stopped by, but I'm not sure if they're still around. I'm interesting in learning more about them as well.

Melody

I went to a Quaker college for a few semesters and to a Quaker church for several years.

Kiwimac...you were an elder? Were you raised as a Quaker from childhood?

Are there any Quakers in here?

Yes, yes; let me out, let me out!!

No, not really, but I'm a generic Anabaptist, and I love the Old Quaker style of waiting upon the Lord in a service, for Him to move upon whomever He is wanting to next speak through--that is Quaker, correct? Do you guys/gals still meet in this manner?

(Btw, about 13 or 14 years ago now, I was in a Christian coffeehouse praying in a circle with 4 or 5 others, two of whom were Mennonite "ministers" from France, and as I had my hands raised to God in prayer, one actually quaked, and continued to do so for 5 or 10 minutes or more--it was all very holy. So perhaps I am a Quaker after all, huh?)

jim

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
Yup,

Quakers still meet in the silent style. Especially among the "Unprogrammed friends"

Kiwimac

Well, the "silent style" is experiencing a comeback, of sorts. I attended a week-long retreat sponsored by an independent char. church from Phila., PA. They met together twice daily, in the morning and then late afternoon just before dinner, that meal being their only one of the day. Upon gathering, the first hour was spent in silence, many on their knees, all praying silently or otherwise meditating, etc. When the hour was up and someone started to pray or praise or whatever out loud, oh my. What opportunity such gives God and His glory to fall.

Then, too, the TACF church in Toronto, the renowned 90's revival place, a couple years ago began agressively setting up "basking centers" around the globe. These are locations in churches, homes, rented meeting rooms, or whatever, where people from various denoms./congs. would meet and just sit in silence and, hopefully, experience the Presence of God wherein they basked, and little-to-nothing beyond that, it being enough.

A

angellous_evangellous

I am a cousin to the Quakers - I LOVE Richard Foster!!

jturpin4

Are there any Quakers in here that attends Programmed Quaker Meetings? Are there any Programmed Quaker Meetings in Kentucky? I'm interested in attending one. Thanks :D

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Hello. I'm a Unitarian Universalist who has recently discovered Liberal Quakerism. I came upon the movement whilst seeking out information on the Amish and Anabaptism. Ultimately, I feel blessed to have found the Quaker movement.

Are there any plain-dressing Quakers here?

Wicked Witch

I'm not a Quaker, but I probably respect it the most out of all the Christian denominations. My grandfather's family was Quaker, and that's basically the only connection I have to the religion.

Quakers really interest me because of the role they played in early American history, but I've never been able to find one in person to discuss their religion with.

Straw Dog

I've started attending unprogrammed universalist Quaker meetings for the past several months. I dig the non-dogmatic style as well as the freedom to express a diversity of views. I find that meditation and/or contemplative prayer is much more effective in a communal setting than it is individually and, so far, it's been more efficient in these meetings than what I've even had in Zen-dos. Perhaps it has to do with my cultural upbringing. I don't know.

I would refer to the Quakers' particular spiritual style as bottom-up rather than top-down. This means that it focuses on experience first and then allows individuals to develop any necessary doctrines around their experience. This is in contrast with the top-down approach which dictates a specific doctrine and then demands that followers conform their experiences to it, even if it requires some mental gymnastics.

I realize that liberal Quakers are considered heretics by most Christians, but what else is new? In my opinion, many of them embody the genuine teachings of Jesus better than many other "Christian" denominations. No joke.

Last edited: