• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Gimp users in here?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am using Gimp 2 for years (not for any professional work). Never had any problem on XP or Win 7. I too love open-source and want to use Puppy Linux for two older machines, one being sort of historical now (600 revved up to 900 Mz.), but do not have R&W disk, market being some 2 kms. away. Yes, very lazy. Will someone send me one?

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I quite like gimp, it gets some getting used to though. I am still figuring it out after years of using it.
Any experience with GIMPShop? It is supposed to be an easier transition from PhotoShop. I don't know enough to tell it one way or the other, though.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I am using Gimp for years (I do not do any professional work). Never had any problem on XP or Win 7. I suggest just uninstall and re-install..

I think you're right. I suspect I'd be saving myself a lot of headaches. :p

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I will probably install Gimpshop, as the description says 'does not open multiple windows' (which is a nuisance). However, it is new and I am doubtful about how well it will be supported by the community. Gimp on the other hand, is very well supported.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Just looked up how much photoshop costs in australia and it costs about 700 USD. Apparently we get charged 41% more than the US.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Any experience with GIMPShop? It is supposed to be an easier transition from PhotoShop. I don't know enough to tell it one way or the other, though.

I think gimpshop is different to gimp? Will have to have a look when I get home to compare. Reinstalled gimp yesterday.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think gimpshop is different to gimp? Will have to have a look when I get home to compare. Reinstalled gimp yesterday.
It is supposedly the same basic program with a very different interface. But I can't say I have truly tried it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Just looked up how much photoshop costs in australia and it costs about 700 USD.
I do not think any Indian (except the very rich) will buy it at that cost, or Corporations and Government organizations. There used to be a Photoshop edition which could be used illegally. It was nice. But after Gimp, I never felt the need for it. Please note GIMPShop has only a beta version at present for Windows.

Last edited:

Jumi

I am using Gimp 2 for years (not for any professional work). Never had any problem on XP or Win 7. I too love open-source and want to use Puppy Linux for two older machines, one being sort of historical now (600 revved up to 900 Mz.), but do not have R&W disk, market being some 2 kms. away. Yes, very lazy. Will someone send me one?
Don't think you need a R/W CD if you have a harddisk with enough free space. Bootable USB is good, if your old computers support that.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey all...
Coming a little late to this, but I've used both GIMP and GIMPshop.
If you remember those MtG cards I was playing around with on here, part of my method for creating them involved GIMPshop.
GIMP I was using to create some little custom sprites for a game I was modding. Which gives me a frigging AWESOME idea....

*ponders*

Anyway, besides the point. I'm very much a hack, but feel free to PM me or link me to any questions, @Quagmire .

GoodbyeDave

I bought a copy of "Beginning GIMP" by Akkana Peck. Since the program was free, a book that costs less than most commercial software seemed a good buy, especially one full of colour pictures of projects.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I use Gimp on occasion:
I manipulated this picture of George Harrison.

Attachments

• Red George.jpg
    Red George.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 126

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I closed the layers dock and couldn't get it to come back up again. I managed to bring back the upper half (layers), but I'm still working on finding the lower half (Patterns).
Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management -> Reset Saved Windows Positions To default Values.

Then set everything as one window with Windows -> Single-Window Mode. ;)

GIMP is a great program, one of the best free graphics editing software available; that works very similarly to Photoshop.

Would definitely advice getting the G'MIC plugin, as it has a host of amazing filters and effects.... An easier way than finding how to install it, is to get a whole version with lots of plugins already installed from here :innocent:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I use photoshop CC, only about £8 a month including Lightroom, and always the latest version with updates.
I have tried Gimp but it does not support "Adjustment" layers which is a killer for me.
Have used photoshop since the first issue.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Just looked up how much photoshop costs in australia and it costs about 700 USD. Apparently we get charged 41% more than the US.
You can only buy it from anyone who still has a copy of the CS versions. Now, Adobe only sell their software through web-subscription. CC (Creative Cloud), starting from $19.99/month (used to be $49 I think, or $99/month when they started it), and you get access to more tools than photoshop. The problem though is that people have had bad experience canceling the subscription.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management -> Reset Saved Windows Positions To default Values.

Then set everything as one window with Windows -> Single-Window Mode. ;)

GIMP is a great program, one of the best free graphics editing software available; that works very similarly to Photoshop.

Would definitely advice getting the G'MIC plugin, as it has a host of amazing filters and effects.... An easier way than finding how to install it, is to get a whole version with lots of plugins already installed from here :innocent:

Wow! Thanks Wizanda. :)