• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

any advice for going to a temple

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not men. In Sikhism men do though.
Hindus also do that. You might have noticed that when the priest is applying 'tilaka' some people cover their head with their hand. The idea is same, respect for whatever is happening. Don't know about South Indian Hindu traditions. Vinayaka will take you there. :)

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hindus also do that. You might have noticed that when the priest is applying 'tilaka' some people cover their head with their hand. The idea is same, respect for whatever is happening. Don't know about South Indian Hindu traditions. Vinayaka will take you there. :)

I was referring to head covering, and yes I've seen Hindu men cover their heads.

In the South, if the priest is applying tilak, people cover their mouths with their right hand, and bend forward slightly. He uses his thumb. But mostly the tilak ingredients, which vary, are received into the right hand the same way as teertham, and then the devotee applies it to themselves.

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
I was referring to head covering, and yes I've seen Hindu men cover their heads.

In the South, if the priest is applying tilak, people cover their mouths with their right hand, and bend forward slightly. He uses his thumb. But mostly the tilak ingredients, which vary, are received into the right hand the same way as teertham, and then the devotee applies it to themselves.[/QUOTE]
This happened to me and I was confused so the pundit just put it on for me :(

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
At our temple, the priests do it both ways. If you hold out your hand to recieve it, he puts it there. But if you cover your mouth and bend slightly forward, he'll put it on your forehead. The first way is his tradition, but since we're open to all, and we get people more familiar with the second way, we felt it easier to just do it the way the devotee's want. Otherwise it would become an endless round of explanation.

For me personally, I'm bound by tradition to only allow my Guru to place tilak 9just vibhuthi) on my forehead.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do you know the reason from covering the mouth? Does it have to do with the impurity of one's breath? Just curious. :)

:camp:

Yes, that's it. Priests are very careful around deities, around flames, too. It's also the reason Hindus never blow flames out, but do it by the well coordinated hand swish.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
And in other news... :)

I've seen the priests take a scissors and snip the wick, so that's what I do at home. Or I let the oil in the lamp just finish up and go out on its own. Passing around vibhuthi is done by a designated person while the priest is finishing up the puja, usually an abhishekam. Then we'd apply it ourselves. The priest, however, sprinkles the devotees with water using a flower.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Yes, that's it. Priests are very careful around deities, around flames, too. It's also the reason Hindus never blow flames out, but do it by the well coordinated hand swish.

Thank you for clarifying.

I don't seem to have the knack for blowing out the lamp with my palm, so I use a piece of paper with a prayer on it or just let it burn out.

:camp: