• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antisemitism and free speech on college campus

Regarding these university presidents, was/is the call to resign warranted?

• Yes

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rosends

Give an example of context where calling for such genocide is acceptable speech in your view.
It isn't about "calling for genocide" it is about the use of the phrase. If I am at a conference and we are discussing political slogans, and I show a video in which people are demonstrating, using that phrase, the context, as an academic discussion, makes the iteration of the words less problematic. All meaning is determined by context. My point was that the answer was therefore useless.

Kfox

I have not seen the evidence, personally.
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Evidently the Senator did have such evidence; otherwise she would not have been able to put the Presidents on the spot the way she did
Requiring the students to NOT use such hate speech, yes. I can agree. But they cannot be responsible for the general public acts nor require affirmations to denounce what others are representing.
the Presidents were not asked to denounce general public acts, they were asked if calling for Genocide of the Jews constitutes hate speech, and they refused to say it was. IMO they all should be fired and never allowed in a position of power again

Kfox

Perhaps they are like me, unwilling to dance the game of affirmations.
That's not dancing, that's speaking the obvious truth! These presidents did not want to speak this truth because they didn't want to offend the bigots that were allowed to fester under their leadership. This is totally unacceptable

Kfox

It isn't about "calling for genocide" it is about the use of the phrase.
No, the question was NOT about the use of the phrase, it was about calling for genocide. Again; give an example of context where calling for genocide is acceptable speech in your view

rosends

No, the question was NOT about the use of the phrase, it was about calling for genocide. Again; give an example of context where calling for genocide is acceptable speech in your view
I really wish you had read the rest of what I posted (to wit, "So saying "depends on context" is fine, but deciding that that context can allow sincere mass calls for violence is wrong. "). The problem I was commenting on was that "depends on context" is a valueless answer because it is inherently obvious and a trait of all communication.

Kfox

I really wish you had read the rest of what I posted (to wit, "So saying "depends on context" is fine, but deciding that that context can allow sincere mass calls for violence is wrong. "). The problem I was commenting on was that "depends on context" is a valueless answer because it is inherently obvious and a trait of all communication.
I remember a few years ago A bunch of nut jobs began the “defund the police” absurdity, and a lot of the more reasonable people attempted to legitimize these nut jobs by saying “they really don’t mean getting rid of police, what they want is to allocate funds and jobs previously done by police and use other resources for those jobs”. But the cry was not to reallocate police funds, it was DEFUND the police. Defund means to stop funding IOW get rid of all police.

If I am understanding you correctly, you seem to be saying those calling for genocide didn’t really mean genocide, they mean something else. I disagree; I believe there are evil people who would really like to see such genocide, and the only thing preventing them from saying it, the only thing preventing them from voicing their true feelings is public scorn. I believe under the leadership of these presidents, an environment has been allowed to fester where such evil people feel comfortable saying what is really on their minds; genocide of the Jews. IMO these presidents should be removed for allowing such evil to rear it’s ugly head on their watch.

rosends

If I am understanding you correctly, you seem to be saying those calling for genocide didn’t really mean genocide, they mean something else.
No, I'm saying that an answer of "it depends on context" is useless because that's a truth about all communication. In this case, the context that the presidents indicated might exist is that calling for genocide could be acceptable. While the words might be context dependent, there are limits to what context is an acceptable excuse and they were alluding to a potential where calling for genocide is excusable. So their answers were useless in that they were obvious, but they were implying that such a context is possible, which is wrong, so their answers were both useless in terms of understanding and harmful in terms of the underlying logic.

Bthoth

*banned*
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Evidently the Senator did have such evidence; otherwise she would not have been able to put the Presidents on the spot the way she did
Was someone holding a sign? Was the person even a student?

Ensuring we don't suffer the fate of US Jewry – The Australian Jewish News
Ahead of Obama Webcast, Iran Deal Exposes Jewish Divide

Who are the Palestinian and Jewish-led groups leading the protests against  Israel's action in Gaza? | PBS NewsHour

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...hUKEwj0h_fj74-DAxWWOEQIHfVFB_8QMygpegUIARCLAQ
Lots of people hold signs
the Presidents were not asked to denounce general public acts, they were asked if calling for Genocide of the Jews constitutes hate speech, and they refused to say it was.
That is begging for affirmations. When will israel denounce representing Jews so the Jewish students will not become targets of hatred.?
IMO they all should be fired and never allowed in a position of power again
Thank you for your opinion.

I will apply theirs

Jewish anti-Israel conference sparks controversy in Canada - The Jerusalem  Post

Bthoth

*banned*
That's not dancing, that's speaking the obvious truth!
People that require an affirmation are playing the dance. Will that big bibi affirm that illegal occupation is wrong?

Will you?
These presidents did not want to speak this truth because they didn't want to offend the bigots that were allowed to fester under their leadership. This is totally unacceptable
Again, you have zero evidence, except what a politician said and then you have NO idea if even one person was a student.

Wow...... do you even check your sources before imposing your opinion as grounded?

Kfox

People that require an affirmation are playing the dance. Will that big bibi affirm that illegal occupation is wrong?

Will you?

Again, you have zero evidence, except what a politician said and then you have NO idea if even one person was a student.

Wow...... do you even check your sources before imposing your opinion as grounded?
Do you suppose those Presidents would have reacted differently had the people call for the lynching of black people; or the killing of Trans people?

Bthoth

*banned*
Do you suppose those Presidents would have reacted differently had the people call for the lynching of black people; or the killing of Trans people?
Why point to other issues? Address the questions directly.

Is that how your mind works, point at something else when having conversations that require an honest answer?

Kfox

Why point to other issues? Address the questions directly.

Is that how your mind works, point at something else when having conversations that require an honest answer?
This is NOT another issue, because we both know had the bigotry been directed at black people, trans people or some other group the left is not allowed to hate, their reaction would have been a heck of a lot different.