• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Antinomian, Adversarial, Sinister"

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
These three words are very frequently used to describe the Left Hand Path, and I disagree with all three. I will try to keep this short!

Antinomian
Not sure how we adopted this word, it is literally a Christian license to sin, that in being saved by grace we do not need to follow moral law. I think it's rather obvious why this doesn't fit the LHP in any way, we are not Christian, saved by grace, etc. Generally when this word is misused and attributed to the LHP it is used as synonymous for "Adversarial" or "Sinister," so read on!

Adversarial
This really only applies to Satanism as Satan was "the adversary," on top of which he was the adversary against humans for god rather than against god. Therefore if you don't buy into Christian mythology, you must ask yourself "why adversity?" To define yourself in opposition to Abrahamic religion or the status quo is to bind yourself to those things, to define yourself by them. As I've written before, "A big problem I have with many modern groups which consider themselves part of the WLHP is that they are still bound to the culture they are trying to shock and invert… The key is they come to these on their own rather than because of what they are told to do or not do, they are apathetic to if culture agrees or disagrees, accepts or rejects them."

Sinister
What "sinister" equates to is "moral/metaphysical evil." I understand the appeal since we are what the RHP considers evil, but why would we let the RHP define us? Sinister is molesting kids and covering it up, taking away the autonomy of certain groups, leading crusades and inquisition, converting through violence and fear, teaching people they are born broken and need saving… it's the RHP that is Sinister. Why define yourself as evil when by any objective standard we are far more moral? The LHPer calling themselves Sinister is like our own self imposed original sin. Sure there's an edgy, adversarial appeal to describing yourself as evil but… see above. I think the LHP includes a focus on self definition rather than definition by others.

Plus academically speaking, "Sinister" describes a specific subset of the fascist, pseudo LHP which is blatantly immoral in the same ways as the RHP.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Do you think that this type of Antinomianism would tie one to the Nomos rather than free them from it? Would it be the same as adversarial above?

Thanks for your thoughts!
It's more like knowing it for what it is: a set of societal norms and assumptions about reality that mostly operates just below the level of most individuals' consciousnesses, to the point where most of those individuals assume that the nomos represents the self-evident underlying basis of reality, which is not always the case. Feminism calls the cultural nomos The Patriarchy, and works to bring it into consciousness so it can be rationally examined and critiqued. This is also how I treat the nomos.

You can run into problems when trying to bring the nomos into consciousness in that people will become resistant towards critique of the nomos because they consider it to be the self-evident basis of realty, and feel threatened when their basis for reality is questioned.