• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Animals and God

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
In Hinduism, there are stories of animals being devout to Sri Rama or Sri Krishna. Nandi is Shiva's Vahana (mount) and is said to be an ardent devotee of Shiva.

What do you think? What does your faith teach? Do animals have the capability of knowing and loving God?

Discuss :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
From my reference frame, the jivatman/soul develops to full consciousness in the animal form as the soul takes different animal forms. Not being fully developed, human knowing of the divine is not possible but to me instinctive love is possible.

I'm reminded of a bit of Japanese history where a dog Hachikō - Wikipedia is celebrated for his loyalty and fidelity. The dog's human died at work but the dog went to the train station every day for 10 years to wait for the human.

Bird123

In Hinduism, there are stories of animals being devout to Sri Rama or Sri Krishna. Nandi is Shiva's Vahana (mount) and is said to be an ardent devotee of Shiva.

What do you think? What does your faith teach? Do animals have the capability of knowing and loving God?

Animals are children of God just as we are. Since we have been on our journeys longer, we have more capabilities. Everyone already knows and loves God whether they know they know or not. This will be realized many times. Yes, animals too.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

F1fan

Veteran Member

I don't think even humans know about a God. But animals do seem to be more in balance with their environment than humans. Animals touch the earth constantly while humans put on shoes and built artificial environments. Some suggest there is a grounding of our anxiety by touching the earth, and that this brings us balance. We humans have really cut ourselves off from this, which I suspect builds more anxiety, and creates an imbalance where we seek meaning in more abstract ways like religious belief. This belief might mask our dilemma and imbalance, but it doesn't replace it.

The divines are capable of reaching just about any living thing in a way they can understand. Whether or not they get it on a higher level is a separate question. A dog is capable of loving the divines just as well as a human though in a different way. The divines like talking to beings like us because we can make music and conversation but there is something desirous of the simple love that comes from a dog or a cat.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I don’t see why not, though we shouldn’t assume that they would have the same religious assumptions.