• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Waters Parted Five Times

Ben Avraham

And the Waters Parted Five Times

1 - The first time was in Egypt (Exodus 14:21-25) when the waters of the Sea of Reeds split and the Israelites crossed it on dry ground. When I think of this and 430 years in Egypt building dams up and down the Nile River, the Israelites had become real experts at building dams. Why do I think of this thus? Because, trying to prophetically persuade the Jews to return from Babylon and back to Israel, Isaiah was having a hard time. The majority had taken the advise of Jeremiah in the beginning of the exile and had prospered to the utmost to become rich Jews. (Jeremiah 29:7) They didn't want to face the hard time to return and start all over again. So Isaiah in his vision, as if running out of options, had to release a secret that the Israelites had been the ones who had dried up the sea. So, they should recover their hope again and return. (Isaiah 51:10)

2 - The second time is recorded in Joshua 3:17 and the waters were of the Jordan River when the priests who bore the Ark of the Lord's Covenant stood on dry land exactly on the middle of the Jordan while all Israel crossed over on dry land until the entire nation had finished crossing the Jordan. The Israelites, although a new generation, had not lost their expertise at building dams was concerned.

3 - The third time is recorded in II Kings 2:8 and also in the Jordan River when Elijah took his mantle and rolled it up and struck the water; it divided to the right and left so that the two of them, Elijah and Elisha, crossed over on dry land.

4 - The fourth time is recorded in II Kings 2:14 when Elisha, back from the passing away of Elijah, took the mantle which had dropped from Elijah, he struck the water and said, "Where is the Lord, the God of Elijah? As he struck the water, it parted to the right and to the left and Elisha crossed over.

5 - The fifth time happened in 1967 in a more technical manner, no doubt, if you talked to some Arabs who partook of that War. That's when the Israeli, Infantry and tank forces commanded by General Sharon crossed the Suez Canal on balsas; soldiers and tanks over to the Egyptian side and all the way to Cairo. I asked an Egyptian soldier in the hospital I was working, "Why didn't you guys attack while they were crossing? You don't have to believe because I still can't, but the answer was that they couldn't for they saw angels doing the crossing themselves as they walked on the water. I still think it was a joke but, the truth is that Israeli troops and tanks were over the other side speeding up towards Cairo.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
That's amazing. They must be really good at tearing down dams too, to trap and drown Pharohs army. But I wonder, if they were smart enough to build dams, wouldn't they have been smart enough to build a barge instead?

Ben Avraham

That's amazing. They must be really good at tearing down dams too, to trap and drown Pharohs army. But I wonder, if they were smart enough to build dams, wouldn't they have been smart enough to build a barge instead?

Building up and tearing down, 430 years of captivity were not 430 days. Their expertise was worth at the moment of the call to make Aliyah back to the Promised Land.

djhwoodwerks

1 - The first time was in Egypt (Exodus 14:21-25) when the waters of the Sea of Reeds split and the Israelites crossed it on dry ground. When I think of this and 430 years in Egypt building dams up and down the Nile River, the Israelites had become real experts at building dams. Why do I think of this thus? Because, trying to prophetically persuade the Jews to return from Babylon and back to Israel, Isaiah was having a hard time. The majority had taken the advise of Jeremiah in the beginning of the exile and had prospered to the utmost to become rich Jews. (Jeremiah 29:7) They didn't want to face the hard time to return and start all over again. So Isaiah in his vision, as if running out of options, had to release a secret that the Israelites had been the ones who had dried up the sea. So, they should recover their hope again and return. (Isaiah 51:10)

Yep, and they built that great dam in one night, or did Pharaoh let them hang out at the shore for maybe years until they got the dam built, and then chased them thru the sea? They must have put a self-destruct button at the other end so when they all got thru, they could destroy the dam.

Exodus 14:21 (ESV Strong's) 21 Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and the Lord drove the sea back by a strong east wind all night and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided.

The Israelite's dried up the sea? Isa 51:10?

Isaiah 51:9-10 (ESV Strong's) Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the Lord; awake, as in days of old, the generations of long ago. Was it not you who cut Rahab in pieces, who pierced the dragon? 10 Was it not you who dried up the sea, the waters of the great deep, who made the depths of the sea a way for the redeemed to pass over?

I guess Isaiah was 'lying' to keep his secret,

Isaiah 43:16 (ESV Strong's) 16 Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea, a path in the mighty waters,

What about David, did he keep the secret too?

Psalms 106:9-11 (ESV Strong's) 9 He rebuked the Red Sea, and it became dry, and he led them through the deep as through a desert.10 So he saved them from the hand of the foe and redeemed them from the power of the enemy. 11 And the waters covered their adversaries; not one of them was left.

djhwoodwerks

I know a lot of people that deny Jesus, but you're the first one I've ever seen that takes the credit and glory from God and puts it on the Jews.

Ben Avraham

I know a lot of people that deny Jesus, but you're the first one I've ever seen that takes the credit and glory from God and puts it on the Jews.

It may seem to you that I do that but, if you take a habit at checking the quotes I use, you will see that, somehow, you guys are not studying the Scriptures as you should. For instance, literally, I deny taking the glory of HaShem and placing it on Jesus. That would be no different from Replacement Theology.

djhwoodwerks

It may seem to you that I do that but, if you take a habit at checking the quotes I use, you will see that, somehow, you guys are not studying the Scriptures as you should. For instance, literally, I deny taking the glory of HaShem and placing it on Jesus. That would be no different from Replacement Theology.

No, you take the Glory of HaShem and place it on humans

So Isaiah in his vision, as if running out of options, had to release a secret that the Israelites had been the ones who had dried up the sea. So, they should recover their hope again and return. (Isaiah 51:10)

Ben Avraham

1 - Yep, and they built that great dam in one night, or did Pharaoh let them hang out at the shore for maybe years until they got the dam built, and then chased them thru the sea? They must have put a self-destruct button at the other end so when they all got thru, they could destroy the dam.

2 - Exodus 14:21 (ESV Strong's) 21 Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and the Lord drove the sea back by a strong east wind all night and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided.

3 - The Israelite's dried up the sea? Isa 51:10?

4 - Isaiah 51:9-10 (ESV Strong's) Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the Lord; awake, as in days of old, the generations of long ago. Was it not you who cut Rahab in pieces, who pierced the dragon? 10 Was it not you who dried up the sea, the waters of the great deep, who made the depths of the sea a way for the redeemed to pass over?

5 - I guess Isaiah was 'lying' to keep his secret, Isaiah 43:16 (ESV Strong's) 16 Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea, a path in the mighty waters,

6 - What about David, did he keep the secret too? Psalms 106:9-11 (ESV Strong's) 9 He rebuked the Red Sea, and it became dry, and he led them through the deep as through a desert.10 So he saved them from the hand of the foe and redeemed them from the power of the enemy. 11 And the waters covered their adversaries; not one of them was left.

1 - If you read the great book "Tratactus Philosophic-Politico" by Baruch de Spinoza, it is better that the miracle remain with man than to discredit the power of the Creator of the Universe with a miracle to part the waters of the sea. That's based on the definition of a miracle which is beyond the power of man. Yes, of man but not of God!

2 - It means that when every thing was ready, Moses stretched out his arm to give the okay to start the going through.

3 - Well, that's what Isaiah 51:10 says. Did you read it?

4 - "Awake, awake, or arm of the Lord." Israel is the arm of the Lord if you read Isaiah 53:1-3 as this chapter is about the Suffering Servant Israel aka Messiah ben Joseph. Then, Isaiah used the expression "Awake, awake or arm of the Lord", wake up, the 70 years are passed and you must return to the Land of your fathers so to speak.

5 - The point is how the Lord made a way in the sea at that moment. What were God's instruments to make that way in the sea? Were not the Israelites His instruments? HaShem was much happier to see how purposeful were His children.

6 - Well, there is nothing about David being the active force in Psalm 106:9-11. David was only singing a Psalm about the works of God in the occasion of the first parting of the waters. How could he know any thing about the revelation of Prophet Isaiah?

Ben Avraham

No, you take the Glory of HaShem and place it on humans

Can I glorify the Glorified? Of course not! Who am I to glorify the Glorified? Now, if I pay homage to a fellow person as if I glorify whatever he or she does, I have much more to my credit before the Lord for long life on earth ad 120 bzrat HaShem.

djhwoodwerks

5 - The point is how the Lord made a way in the sea at that moment. What were God's instruments to make that way in the sea? Were not the Israelites His instruments? HaShem was much happier to see how purposeful were His children.

Really!!?? My Bible says,

Exodus 14:21 (ESV Strong's) 21 Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and the Lord drove the sea back by a strong east wind all night and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided.

Are you suggesting that all the Jews got together and 'blew' on the sea from the East?

djhwoodwerks

Can I glorify the Glorified? Of course not! Who am I to glorify the Glorified? Now, if I pay homage to a fellow person as if I glorify whatever he or she does, I have much more to my credit before the Lord for long life on earth ad 120 bzrat HaShem.

Yes, you can glorify God! When you speak of how God delivered His people out of bondage, that's glorifying Him.

When you speak of how awesome God is and the love with which He loves us, that's glorifying Him.

When you speak of how He came to earth to break the bondage of sin and save us from death, that's glorifying Him.

But when you say that the Jews built a dam and parted the sea themselves, that's taking the glory from God and putting it on man.

Ben Avraham

1 - Yes, you can glorify God! When you speak of how God delivered His people out of bondage, that's glorifying Him.

2 - When you speak of how awesome God is and the love with which He loves us, that's glorifying Him.

3 - When you speak of how He came to earth to break the bondage of sin and save us from death, that's glorifying Him.

4 - But when you say that the Jews built a dam and parted the sea themselves, that's taking the glory from God and putting it on man.

1 - What is to deliver a people out of the bondage of another to the Creator of the Universe? I rather glorify the Primal Cause of the Universe.

2 - I glorify HaShem for having caused the Universe to exist.

3 - Since you are referring to Jesus, how did he save us from death if every day people die, including Jesus himself? How did he break the bondage of sin if there are more sinners after he died than before he was born?

4 - Man was the opus prima of God's Creation. So, in my opinion, God is more glorified for how much the work of His hand has evolved.

Ben Avraham

Are you suggesting that all the Jews got together and 'blew' on the sea from the East?

How do you think that the Creator of the Universe is more honored, that He did something so irrelevant or that He created the hands that caused the parting of the sea?

djhwoodwerks

How do you think that the Creator of the Universe is more honored, that He did something so irrelevant or that He created the hands that caused the parting of the sea?

Making a way of escape on dry ground in the middle of an ocean is "irrelevant"?

I can hear them now, "thank you God for creating them guys over there, and over there, and over there, because without them, we would all be killed by pharaoh, because it would be so insignificant for you to make a way for us to escape!"

And, "thank you God for making pharaoh wait for the years that it took for us to build this dam."

Pharaoh said: "they're trapped between us and the sea, let's wait until they build that dam and get across to the other side, then we will chase them and kill them."

djhwoodwerks

What is your 'logic' about "the LORD drove back the sea by a strong east wind."?

Did the Jews all get together and blow on the sea?

Ben Avraham

What is your 'logic' about "the LORD drove back the sea by a strong east wind."? Did the Jews all get together and blow on the sea?

My Logic on that is that the Lord created evil for having created man. If God had not chosen Israel for His peculiar People, He would not have to deal with the sea of reeds. So, every thing that happens after Creation is attributed to God. We are only forgetting that after HaShem caused man to exist, He said to him: Now, grow and multiply. In other words, develop your intellect. (Genesis 1:28) The Lord did not want man to stagnate in his ignorance and stay there as a robot without Freewill.

Ben Avraham

1 - Making a way of escape on dry ground in the middle of an ocean is "irrelevant"?

2 - I can hear them now, "thank you God for creating them guys over there, and over there, and over there, because without them, we would all be killed by pharaoh, because it would be so insignificant for you to make a way for us to escape!"

3 - And, "thank you God for making pharaoh wait for the years that it took for us to build this dam."

4 - Pharaoh said: "they're trapped between us and the sea, let's wait until they build that dam and get across to the other side, then we will chase them and kill them."

1 - Yes! For the One Who caused the whole of the Universe to exist, it was like a child play and a petty thing to do.

2 - That's not how it happened. For the Egyptians to watch the Israelites moving around the sea of reed, was a funny spectacle to enjoy. So, they just stood there without realizing what was really going on. I bet you they were laughing their teeth out.

3 - He didn't. He was aware of how intelligent the Israelites were. They would build dams almost every season throughout the Nile River. That's wherefrom most of Pharaoh's wealth was accumulated.

4 - That's all they could think of, that Israelites were trapped between them and the sea. After the dam was ready and the Jews had crossed, they awakened from their fun and thought they could catch up with them by crossing on horseback and merkavot, and it was the end of them.

# - Hey! I have Prophet Isaiah to back up what I said if you read Isaiah 51:10. So, don't think I am the genius one here.

Last edited:

djhwoodwerks

My Logic on that is that the Lord created evil for having created man. If God had not chosen Israel for His peculiar People, He would not have to deal with the sea of reeds. So, every thing that happens after Creation is attributed to God. We are only forgetting that after HaShem caused man to exist, He said to him: Now, grow and multiply. In other words, develop your intellect. (Genesis 1:28) The Lord did not want man to stagnate in his ignorance and stay there as a robot without Freewill.

God created evil long before He created man, He created the angel that rebelled and deceived Eve.

djhwoodwerks

2 - That's not how it happened. For the Egyptians to watch the Israelites moving around the sea of reed, was a funny spectacle to enjoy. So, they just stood there without realizing what was really going on. I bet you they were laughing their teeth out.

Kind of like I'm doing after reading this post!

3 - He didn't. He was aware of how intelligent the Israelites were. They would build dams almost every season throughout the Nile River. That's wherefrom most of Pharaoh's wealth was accumulated.

#2 and #3 contradict each other!

#2 - Pharaoh didn't realize what the Jews were doing, #3 pharaoh was aware of how intelligent the Jews were because they built dams every season throughout the Nile. How could pharaoh not realize what was going on? And he didn't realize what was going on when they were cutting trees to build their cranes or whatever they used to move 'large' boulders or bricks to make the dam?

How deep you figure the gulf was where they crossed?