• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ancient Israel

+Xausted

As usual I only frequent here when I need some help nowadays:D
I have a 5000 word essay to do on something to do with ancient Israel. The guide book we are following is our lecturers one entitled :ANCIENT ISRAEL; How Do We Know and How do We Know it? (Lester Grabbe, T&T Clark, London , 2007).
We have to pick a subject/era in which to do it on and I am a bit lost on what would make an interesting and workable essay. Any ideas? (By ancient I am meaning from 2000 bce-about 500bce)

What do any of you know about ancient Israel any way, because I know little and it is always good to hear others knowledge

A

angellous_evangellous

In any case, an essay on the history of Israel in the Assyrian texts would be cool. The Hermenia commentary on Jeremiah should give you bibliographic information to help you find the texts - you can actually look at pictures of the tablets with transliterations and English translations... and read about how Israel was conquered, taken into captivity, and suffered/thrived in exile. You can read Jeremiah alongside this tradition.

Another idea is to do the same thing with Sumerian texts and Genesis/Exodus.

You could also use the Anchor Bible Dictionary to find bibliography on cities like Jericho and so forth.