• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An under-rated job: the receptionist.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Boss just switched dentists, in large part due to the receptionist. She doesn't treat us as well as other folks, and it shows.
When I was a courier, I met a ton of receptionists. One older woman in some office building downtown on the 18th floor, or something like that, was an absolute delight. In a competitive business like insurance, all other things being equal, I'd be going to that company, just to have that 5 minutes of joy waiting in the waiting room, in her presence.
At another place where I had to do pickups, the woman was an absolute b______ , sorry to say.

Other under-rated jobs?
Best receptionist experience?
Worst receptionist experience?

I think companies would be wise to take a very hard look at who they hire as the receptionist.

Last edited:

Justanatheist

Never had much time for Doctors receptionists, BUT,

Few weeks a go I went to doctors to pick up a prescription just after I had a bad fall, receptionist spotted I was in pain, got me a chair, glass of water and toodled off to see a doctor, came back with her and she did an examination before getting me an ambulance to A&E. Phoned my lady to tell her what was going on and get the car picked up. Top woman.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Receptionists, stay-at-home parents and other non-exciting jobs are underrated, to be sure.

As far as receptionists go, recently I need more than the usual dental work. One receptionist refused to tell me their vaccination status claiming HIPPA (false - HIPPA is about patients). She refused my request to check with the dentist. They'll be off my list in a little while.

I try to cut them slack when things go wrong and they're obviously stressed about it. I assume they're doing their best and will say things like "these things happen", "I used to work with computers before I retired and I know how things can fall apart" or whatever comes to me.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
The most under-rated job is the one I am doing, currently: homemaker.

I am a homemaker, too. You're right, we don't always get a lot of appreciation.

Truckers, fast food workers, customer service... these are all others that, despite many people utilizing the services of, are not often appreciated.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Other under-rated jobs?

My new job... retail sales associate (more on that to come :)), bank tellers (especially drive through) and store cashiers.

I did retail sales a few times over the years. Retail sales associates are treated like absolute crap by a lot of customers. Not all, mind you, but a lot. Back in the day we got it from both sides... customers and managers. Managers would throw us under the bus in front of the customer. I was a bank teller, mostly drive through but I loved it. Most of our customers were regulars who were a pleasure to work with.