• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Interview with JEWSCOUT (Judaism)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott1

** MOD POST **
jewscout was kind enough to volunteer to be my first interview on our new forum!

I will try to stick to non-Moderators in the future, but I just wanted to post this so you could get an idea of what is to come.

I hope you enjoy this new feature!:jiggy:

An interview with jewscout (Judaism)

Member # 1011
View jewscout's Member Page

Thanks for being our "guinea pig" jewscout!

Ok, first things first, please give me a basic overview of your faith including how long you have held your current beliefs.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
perhaps i should be the "test chicken" at least chicken is kosher;)

hmmm lets see
well Judaism is about 3500 years old (give or take)
My Rabbi refers to it as "Ethical Monotheism"
It is the belief in the one eternal G-d, "Shema Yisrael, Adonoi, Elohaynu, Adonoi Echad" Hear Israel, HaShem is Lord, HaShem is One
there are 613 mitzvot that Torah Observant Jews follow (though some require the presense of the Temple which, if anyone hasn't noticed, isn't where it's supposed to be)
ummm let see
The Torah, the first five books of the Tanach (or "OT" for my Christians out there) is traditionally believed to revealed to the Nation of Israel by HaShem (G-d) at Mt. Sinai as well as the Talmud (the Oral Torah).
there are several movements w/in Judaism all with varying degrees of observance. They are, Orthodoxy, Modern Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Reconstruction, Hasidic.

I have been following the Jewish faith for a little more than a year now...

jewscout

Religious Zionist
hmmm well aside from no more bacon cheese burgers or the classic "H-Diddy Special" (a pizza w/ ham, bacon, sausage, ground beef and pepperoni)

i have to be mindful of all of my actions. I'm trying to lead an observant lifestyle the best i can. i keep a kosher diet, i don't work on Saturdays or Friday nights. I avoid driving on Shabbat as much as possible. me and rachel abstain from ...ummm... things...2 weeks out of every month...
i mean every day i have to think, is this what HaShem has instructed for me to do or not.

Scott1

How would you describe your basic "outlook" of the world? (Do we live an "evil" place? Are people inherently "good"?)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
The world is imperfect...but then it was made that way for our benefit.
we are given this world so that we may be interactive with it...i mean if it were perfect what the deuce are we supposed to do?
man is born w/ a duel nature, yetzer tov (the good inclination) and the yetzer ra (the evil inclination)
the evil inclination isn't necessarily bad, it is only bad when we allow it to rule our lives...they are impulses we need...lust, hunger, greed...but to let them get out of hand can be a destructive force and can create more evil in the world
i believe evil exists, but it is something we can choose to create or not create
it all comes down to choice...

Scott1

Please describe your experience here at Religious Forums.

Why do you (assuming that you do hehe) enjoy being a member here?

Has your time here on the forum changed you in any way?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I spent some time on a few other "religious" forums but found them to be lacking in diversity and real knowledgable discussions. I came to RF not really knowing what to expect but it appeared to be a good place and i haven't been sorry since. I think the best thing about RF is that i am pretty much gauranteed to get my Torah study in everyday, being basically the only active practicioner of judaism i find i have to answer alot of questions on here. Of course Standing_on_one_foot is always good to have around since, well, he's actually jewish:D . I also find that even when presented w/ people critical of Judaism my faith always seems to be strengthened after confronting them.

i will say this i have found that some atheists are bigger and more hardcore proselytizers than most christians or muslims.

Scott1

jewscout said:
i will say this i have found that some atheists are bigger and more hardcore proselytizers than most christians or muslims.
It this something that your faith (or you personaly) promote?

Do you think people would be "better off" if they became Jewish? Please explain your answer.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
SOGFPP said:
It this something that your faith (or you personaly) promote?

Do you think people would be "better off" if they became Jewish? Please explain your answer.
Proselytizing?? no Judaism doesn't promote that, nor do i personally.

I don't think people would be better off being jewish, it's a very difficult path and not for everyone and Judaism allows for that. I know right now i'm having a very hard time with it logisitically speaking. I'm trying to get a new job, G-d willing as a teacher, so that i'll make enough money to be observant and live in the jewish community. But i'm having a very very difficult time with it and it's very disconcerting.

Scott1

Who on this forum would you most like to see interviewed, and what one question would you ask them?

Status
Not open for further replies.