• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amun, The Hidden One

Baladas

An Págánach
Does anyone here honor Amun? I am intrigued by him.

Do you think it is possible that "he was the original inscrutable and indivisible creator" as this article suggests?

While Aten (and the whole heresy surrounding him) was likely the first known case of monotheism, could Amun be the "invisible creator" that eventually evolved into the god of the Israel?

Gods of ancient Egypt: Amun

Faybull

I'm not sure what parts are authentic to Egypt...
For instance, Khonsu seems to be Cronos.
Now, did the Greeks receive Cronos from Egypt?

Baladas

An Págánach
I'm not sure what parts are authentic to Egypt...
For instance, Khonsu seems to be Cronos.
Now, did the Greeks receive Cronos from Egypt?

It's possible, I'm honestly not sure. Chronos has always been one of my favorite gods though, so I may have to read up on it when I have time...whenever that is. :D

GoodbyeDave

The name Amun was said to mean "invisible" by Manetho (quoted by Plutarch), but that may be no more reliable that the etymologies given for the names of Greek gods in antiquity.

He was the principal god in Hermopolis, but Atôm (Atum) had that role in Heliopolis. Other texts attribute creation to Ptah or Rê. Erik Hornung (Concepts of God in Ancient Egypt} argues that the Egyptians thought of the gods an immanent, not transcendent: they and the universe emerge from chaos. He also argues that any god worshiped at any one time (unless an obviously minor figure) can be called "chief of gods" or "lord to the end". For the worshiper, they represent divinity in all its aspects.

Rakovsky

Does anyone here honor Amun? I am intrigued by him.

Do you think it is possible that "he was the original inscrutable and indivisible creator" as this article suggests?

While Aten (and the whole heresy surrounding him) was likely the first known case of monotheism, could Amun be the "invisible creator" that eventually evolved into the god of the Israel?

Gods of ancient Egypt: Amun
I see no mention of Israel in the Article.
However I have read a theory that he is referred to indirectly in Genesis 1:1 when it talks about God's spirit, since spirit and wind are the same word in Hebrew. In order to accept this theory, you would probably have to think that Amun is connected with "wind". Some Egyptologists think Amun was a wind god at an early stage, but there is not much discussion about this.