• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Cops & Pursuits

nPeace

Veteran Member
Overall, I think they do a good job, but so many times these cops have a rat cornered, and they let him out.

This pursuit could have been over in 5 minutes.

I wonder at times, if American cops love the chase, or, usually get too nervous to think straight, at times.
I guess it's not easy being a cop, but when they mess up, it becomes more dangerous for innocent civilians.

Why do American cops tend to mess up so often?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Overall, I think they do a good job, but so many times these cops have a rat cornered, and they let him out.

This pursuit could have been over in 5 minutes.

I wonder at times, if American cops love the chase, or, usually get too nervous to think straight, at times.
I guess it's not easy being a cop, but when they mess up, it becomes more dangerous for innocent civilians.

Why do American cops tend to mess up so often?
This varies by state. If you want to see pursuits that usually end rather quickly and in a satisfying way then you should watch the chases of the Arkansas state patrol. They do not mess around. Doing PIT maneuvers at over 100 mph are common. But for every ten or twenty satisfactory chase there are chases that do not have a happy ending.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Here is a mild one. The video is only a bit over 4 minutes long and the chase is two minutes twenty seconds:

EDIT: Language warning.

It was just a one hundred mile an hour PIT.

Oh, someone will have to tell @nPeace . I think that I am invisible to him. Quoting me will do no good since he will not see the quote either.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There has been some controversy about the Arkansas state patrol and their use of pit maneuvers. being released and showing up on YouTube. When asked about that:

'Col. Mike Hager, Director of ASP and Secretary of the Department of Public Safety, said recently about these pursuit videos: "The only good thing I hope that comes from that is people know to not run from the state police." '

That was from this rather boring chase video. When the state patrol showed up a person that was running from the local cops quickly pulled over.

So boring that I forgot to post it at first.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yeah, that's not insanely dangerous doing that around other motorists or anything.:rolleyes:
They seem to be very good at it. Here is a surgical 100 mph pit:

They have to practice this a lot, which means that they are probably going through a good number of cars in the process. A car can usually take only one 100 mph PIT.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They seem to be very good at it. Here is a surgical 100 mph pit:

They have to practice this a lot, which means that they are probably going through a good number of cars in the process. A car can usually take only one 100 mph PIT.
It's still incredibly and stupidly dangerous.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Is it? It might be working. That could save lives in the long run.
Not if it's needlessly jeopardizing them. Like how the one video you showed show a highspeed PIT with oncoming traffic in the opposite lane. Had the driver made the car go the other way it could have been very ugly.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Just letting you know, SZ, I saw your posts.
I understand that policies differ from State to State, but these cops wreck their cars even after the chase ends, so there is no reason why the cruiser wasn't pinned against the van to prevent the guy from moving.
I've seen them repeatedly leave "doors" opened, as if they deliberately allow the suspect to flee.

As regard, the high speed Pitts, I agree with @Shadow Wolf. They are not only reckless, but show blatant disregard for life - the suspects, and commuters.
I hate to see cops driving at those speeds too. I think they are putting their life, and the lives of road users, in grave danger, and unnecessary at that, when they have the "eyes in the sky", and know where the suspect is, and where he will likely be.

The Pitt maneuver is a super creative mechanism, at reasonable speeds, and with discretion, in reasonably light traffic... even if the suspect's vehicle flips, or is wrecked. So long as they make sure no children are on board. ;)

I think the stop sticks aren't used sufficiently.
They could easily come up with a way to deploy those from vehicles, rather than by hand, and since they are often waiting at intersections, for the suspect to arrive, they would have opportunities to sink those tires, which will not only slow him down, but make the catch easier.
It's just a matter of improving on their equipment, and using their heads. They now have the grappling hook, which works in situations where the suspect isn't as suicidal as this maniac.