• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I Right About Humanism?

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
I was always under the impression of Humanism being the belief where what one believes is like their own separate reality.

I thought it meant that what you believed in afterlife and what not is what would follow. For example, an atheist would cease existance after death while a Christian would descend to heaven.

I used to believe this, but then changed my mind, but I never heard of the term humanism until recently and I have come to wonder if this is what it actually is.

If it isn't, please elaborate, if it is... please elaborate. :)

A

angellous_evangellous

I was always under the impression of Humanism being the belief where what one believes is like their own separate reality.

I thought it meant that what you believed in afterlife and what not is what would follow. For example, an atheist would cease existance after death while a Christian would descend to heaven.

I used to believe this, but then changed my mind, but I never heard of the term humanism until recently and I have come to wonder if this is what it actually is.

Humanism is usually characterized by the belief that humans are not inherently evil and have the power to change the world into something better by human effort. Humanisim will usually not be attracted to religion because religion has so often hindered and restricted all forms of human expression, but religion is useful where it is constructive.

You're thinking of an absolute existentialism when you think that someone creates their own reality.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
Ah thank you! That clarifies things pretty well, but now I need to think up some new questions.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
Second question:
What beliefs does Humanism hold about the creation of the world? Are humanists mostly agnostic when it comes to such a question, or does it really depend on what they believe as a person?

UnTheist

I assume you mean creation of the Universe?

I can guess most Humanists hold the Scientific view (Big Bang) of the Universe being created since they don't believe in the supernatural (I think).

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
Are there any texts associated with Humanism that most humanists follow? Like some sort of doctrine?

Or are there any other major things in Humanism past, such as humanist support during the Civil Rights Movement or whatever. Anything historical about Humanism really.

Zeno

Second question:
What beliefs does Humanism hold about the creation of the world? Are humanists mostly agnostic when it comes to such a question, or does it really depend on what they believe as a person?

It turns out that many do hold naturalist views on the origin of the universe and such, at least many of the modern day humanists. Its origin has numerous religious associations. Humanism itself doesn't declare a specific stance on the origin of the universe because some humanists believe God did it, while others follow more scientific reasons.

Secular humanism is "is a humanist philosophy that upholds reason, ethics, and justice, and specifically rejects the supernatural and the spiritual as warrants of moral reflection and decision-making. Like other types of humanism, secular humanism is a life stance or a praxis focusing on the way human beings can lead good and happy lives (eupraxsophy). The term was coined in the 20th century to make a clear distinction from religious humanism"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

jrbogie

perhaps this from the institute for humanist studies will help answer your questions:

Humanism in brief

Humanism is a philosophy of life inspired by humanity and guided by reason. It provides the basis for a fulfilling and ethical life without religion.
  • Humanists make sense of the world using reason, experience and shared human values.
  • Humanists see no convincing evidence for gods, the supernatural, or life after death.
  • Humanists believe that moral values are properly founded on human empathy and scientific understanding.
  • Humanists believe we must live this life on the basis that it is the only life we'll have -- that, therefore, we must make the most of it for ourselves, each other, and our world.
Humanist philosophies have arisen separately in many different cultures over many thousands of years. Whether or not they use the term humanism, tens of millions of Americans and hundreds of millions of people around the world agree with the humanist philosophy of living a happy and productive life based on reason and compassion.