• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Almost Every Christian Going To Hell According To Bible

A Thousand Suns

Rationalist
In Western countries(Christian Majority)----Adultery is common

Now according to the Bible almost every Christian is going to Hell

New-Testament

Matthew 19:9 "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Mark 10:11 "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her."

Mark 10:12 "And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

Luke 16:18 "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery."

Old-Testament

Deuteronomy 22:22 "If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die."

Leviticus 20:10 "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."

Proverbs 6:32 "But a man who commits adultery lacks judgment; whoever does so destroys himself."

Also point to be noted according Jesus(pbuh) the laws of Old-Testament are still valid and are applicable upon Christians

Matthew 5:17-19 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Now My point ,Since adultery is clearly prohibited in the Bible, and since most Western Christians today are divorced and are either living with their boyfriends/girlfriends or married to other people, wouldn't that cause for them to be thrown in Hell? After all, most Western Christians according to the Bible are committing adultery ,and according to Ot "both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.":confused:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Now My point ,Since adultery is clearly prohibited in the Bible, and since most Western Christians today are divorced and are either living with their boyfriends/girlfriends or married to other people, wouldn't that cause for them to be thrown in Hell? After all, most Western Christians according to the Bible are committing adultery ,and according to Ot "both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.":confused:

having more then one wife was a sin according to Jesus

He promoted monogamy and faithfulness to one wife/husband. As he was a prophet of God, surely that puts many muslims at odds with Gods law too. I think most of mankind are guilty of this...even the 'prophet' Abraham had two wives.

A Thousand Suns

Rationalist
having more then one wife was a sin according to Jesus

He promoted monogamy and faithfulness to one wife/husband. As he was a prophet of God, surely that puts many muslims at odds with Gods law too.
The problem is not having One wife but after divorce marrying another wife

Mark 10:11 "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her."

And BTW There is no place in bible , where Jesus(pbuh) tells us to marry one wife----in fact the number of wives aren't restricted at all

And why Muslims say to Mary more than one wife is another debate replied here http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2170719-post1.html

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The problem is not having One wife but after divorce marrying another wife

And BTW There is no place in bible , where Jesus(pbuh) tells us to marry one wife----in fact the number of wives aren't restricted at all

And why Muslims say to Mary more than one wife is another debate replied here http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2170719-post1.html

In fact Jesus does state the Godly view and requirement of marriage.

He was perfectly clear that Gods standard of marriage is the one established by God himself at the beginning in Eden where he gave the perfect man only one living wife.

Matthew 19:3-7 ‘Did you not read that he who created them at the beginning made them male and female and said: “For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh”? So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together let no man put apart.’

If God thought polygamy was ok, he would have supplied Adam with many wives thus preventing Adam from marrying his daughters.
But no, he gave the man ONE wife and said the two were to become as 'one flesh' and no man was to 'put that apart'... in other words, no man on this earth has the right to change that standard.

A Thousand Suns

Rationalist
In fact Jesus does state the Godly view and requirement of marriage.

He was perfectly clear that Gods standard of marriage is the one established by God himself at the beginning in Eden where he gave the perfect man only one living wife.

Matthew 19:3-7 ‘Did you not read that he who created them at the beginning made them male and female and said: “For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh”? So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together let no man put apart.’
Hardly clear----In fact you totally mis-interpreted the verse---I will repeat again in complete Bible you wont find a single verse where Polygamy is prohibited---also the fact that In earlier times, Christian men were permitted as many wives as they wished. It was only a few centuries ago that the Church restricted the number of wives to one.

If God thought polygamy was ok, he would have supplied Adam with many wives thus preventing Adam from marrying his daughters.
But no, he gave the man ONE wife and said the two were to become as 'one flesh' and no man was to 'put that apart'... in other words, no man on this earth has the right to change that standard.

You ignored the history and limited yourself to Adam:facepalm:

looks like you didn't read the link I gave it to you at all

Polygamy is permitted in Judaism. According to Talmudic law, Abraham had three wives, and Solomon had hundreds of wives. The practice of polygyny continued till Rabbi Gershom ben Yehudah (960 C.E to 1030 C.E) issued an edict against it. The Jewish Sephardic communities living in Muslim countries continued the practice till as late as 1950, until an Act of the Chief Rabbinate of Israel extended the ban on marrying more than one wife.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Hardly clear----In fact you totally mis-interpreted the verse---I will repeat again in complete Bible you wont find a single verse where Polygamy is prohibited---also the fact that In earlier times, Christian men were permitted as many wives as they wished. It was only a few centuries ago that the Church restricted the number of wives to one.

If Jesus said that divorcing a wife and marrying another made one an 'adulterer'
How can it be possible to have more then one wife and NOT be an adulterer?

According to Jesus, having sex with more then one person is a sin and this would mean that a polygamist would be continually sinning against God by having sex with many women.

You ignored the history and limited yourself to Adam:facepalm:

Jesus came to teach Gods law correctly. What he said about marriage is the 'correct' Godly view of marriage. A man and woman are to become 'ONE'... not many as in polygamy.

looks like you didn't read the link I gave it to you at all

I did read the quote and i commented in that thread.

I'll state again, Jesus came as a Jew and taught them Gods standards CORRECTLY. Judaism had gone off track, but Jesus put them straight. He explained the marriage arrangement and said that it is rightly practiced when the Adam and Eve pattern is followed. One man for One woman.

So just because Judaism continued to practice it does not mean that it is acceptable to God. Jesus showed that it is not acceptable to God.

Wannabe Yogi

Now My point ,Since adultery is clearly prohibited in the Bible, and since most Western Christians today are divorced and are either living with their boyfriends/girlfriends or married to other people,

Sorry to break the bad news to you. Many Christians have happy marriages.

A Thousand Suns

Rationalist
If Jesus said that divorcing a wife and marrying another made one an 'adulterer'
How can it be possible to have more then one wife and NOT be an adulterer?

According to Jesus, having sex with more then one person is a sin and this would mean that a polygamist would be continually sinning against God by having sex with many women.
That was the Question ,either its been added to Bible recently or The early Christians who were marrying more than one wives were committing adultery

Jesus came to teach Gods law correctly. What he said about marriage is the 'correct' Godly view of marriage. A man and woman are to become 'ONE'... not many as in polygamy.

Thats being metaphorically told that Husband and Wife should love as if they are one being--------It doesn't says don't marry more than one wife

I'll state again, Jesus came as a Jew and taught them Gods standards CORRECTLY.

That means God wasn't teaching Jews correctly before...lol

The fact is Jesus(pbuh) clearly said that Christians should follow the laws of Previous Prophets

Matthew 5:17-19 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Judaism had gone off track, but Jesus put them straight. He explained the marriage arrangement and said that it is rightly practiced when the Adam and Eve pattern is followed. One man for One woman.
So you mean what Abraham(pbuh) did was wrong by marrying three wives

Also lets assume Jesus(pbuh) did taught that One women should marry one Man----that means the rest of Womens who remain unmarried become Public Property , as the women population is more then men ,and not every women can marry and have a man for herself

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Many but not all
Not all Muslims have happy marriages either. Not all Hindus, Sikhs, Mormons, Bahá'í have happy marriages. It doesn't impact the religious teaching, though, and has nothing to do with the discussion. :shrug:

Source for "almost every Christian" commits adultery by the defined part?

Now My point ,Since adultery is clearly prohibited in the Bible, and since most Western Christians today are divorced and are either living with their boyfriends/girlfriends or married to other people,
That's a very, very stupid statement, with not a lot to back it up.

wouldn't that cause for them to be thrown in Hell?
No, because the Christian belief is that Jesus died for the sins of people so they wouldn't "be thrown in Hell".

After all, most Western Christians according to the Bible are committing adultery ,and according to Ot "both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."
Once again I see "most Western Christians" but see no evidence to support it that view. No matter.

Still, no. Christianity is supposed to teach forgiveness and a fulfilment of the laws of the Old Testament (meaning they are no longer binding on people). I think this is claimed because of verse 18, "till all be fulfilled." but I am not sure if this is right.

Jesus stopping the adulteress from being stoned to death, for example, is one of the major messages of the Gospels.

:shrug:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
That was the Question ,either its been added to Bible recently or The early Christians who were marrying more than one wives were committing adultery

it hasnt been added to the bible recently. The oldest versions of the NT contains the same verse...the Bodmer Papyri is dated to the early 3rd century C.E and its in there

Where do you get your information about the bible???

Thats being metaphorically told that Husband and Wife should love as if they are one being--------It doesn't says don't marry more than one wife

Even if you are right, how can a man be 'one' with a wife if he has many wives? He cannot. He will be divided.

That means God wasn't teaching Jews correctly before...lol

do you know anything about the 'oral law'
By Jesus day the Jewish teachers were teaching the 'oral law' rather then the 'written law'. They were not teaching Gods law as written in the scriptures...they had deviated from it. Jesus always referred them back to the scriptures when he clarified teachings....hence why the verse i gave you started with "Did you not read..."

So you mean what Abraham(pbuh) did was wrong by marrying three wives
It wasnt wrong at the time but Jesus taught that Gods standards is for a man and woman to become one.....not two or three or four.
God tolerated polygamy, but it was never his purpose for it to continue which is why the christian congregation outlawed it.

Also lets assume Jesus(pbuh) did taught that One women should marry one Man----that means the rest of Womens who remain unmarried become Public Property , as the women population is more then men ,and not every women can marry and have a man for herself

This is besides the point. In a perfect world there would not be such a huge difference in the genders. And perhaps there would be even less of a difference now if men stopped warring with each other.

Last edited:

smokydot

In Western countries(Christian Majority)----Adultery is common

New-Testament
Matthew 19:9 "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."
Mark 10:12 "And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."
Luke 16:18 "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery."

Old-Testament
Deuteronomy 22:22 "If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die."
Leviticus 20:10 "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."
Proverbs 6:32 "But a man who commits adultery lacks judgment; whoever does so destroys himself."
Also point to be noted according Jesus(pbuh) the laws of Old-Testament are still valid and are applicable upon Christians

Those born again in Jesus Christ are saved from hell by faith in Jesus Christ and his redeeming sacrifice
(which faith is evidenced by keeping his commands, but keeping them does not save them from hell, only faith in him does that) .
They are not saved from hell by law keeping.

A

angellous_evangellous

... and all those smart-*** people that say we condescended from monkeys...

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Like Islam, which states that Shirk is unforgivable and you will remain in Hell forever, the only unforgivable sin in Christianity is rejection of God.
All other sins are forgiven, if one seeks forgiveness, through atonement in Islam and through askance in Christianity.
This is according to a majority of Christian theologies.

Obviously the writer of the OP knows little about Christian theology.

smokydot

Like Islam, which states that Shirk is unforgivable and you will remain in Hell forever, the only unforgivable sin in Christianity is rejection of God.
All other sins are forgiven, if one seeks forgiveness, through atonement in Islam and through askance in Christianity.
This is according to a majority of Christian theologies.

Obviously the writer of the OP knows little about Christian theology.
Not only the writer of the OP. Let's review what the NT says:

1) The only unforgiveable sin is unbelief in Jesus Christ (Jn 3:18,36)
and blasphemy of the Holy Spirit (Mt 12:32).

2) Atonement in Christianity is by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ to pay the debt of sin owed to the justice of God.
Forgiveness (salvation from God's just wrath) in Christianity is by faith alone in Jesus Christ alone.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
If Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are in fact one and the same as God, then would not rejection of Jesus Christ be the same as rejection of God? And blasphemy of the Holy Spirit a rejection of Jesus Christ as God?

And did not Jesus himself instruct Christians to ask forgiveness for their sins?

smokydot

If Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are in fact one and the same as God, then would not rejection of Jesus Christ be the same as rejection of God? And blasphemy of the Holy Spirit a rejection of Jesus Christ as God?
Not really.

Jesus said faith in him was necessary to be saved from the just wrath of God on one's sin (Jn 3:18, 36), therefore unbelief in him bars one's own door to salvation,
regardless of one's belief in God or the Holy Spirit.
And the Jews believed in the Spirit of God, yet they blasphemed him (Mt 12:24,33), thereby denying the only power that would bring them to faith in Jesus Christ, and again barring their own door to salvation.

So because one does not reject God, does not mean one has faith in Jesus Christ, or does not blaspheme the Holy Spirit.
And did not Jesus himself instruct Christians to ask forgiveness for their sins?
Yes, he did. . .in the Lord's Prayer.

But Christians still sin even after they are born again.
However, if we agree with (confess) God that we have sinned, turn from our sin and ask him to forgive us, he will, and our felt union with him will not be interupted.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
In Christianity, technically, yes.

But outside Christianity, it doesn't make clear that it is unbelief in Jesus Christ and blasphemy of the Holy Spirit that are unforgiveable.
Yes, he did. . .in the Lord's Prayer.

But Christians still sin even after they are born again.
However, if we agree with (confess) God that we have sinned, turn from our sin and ask him to forgive us, he will, and our felt union with him will not be interupted.
Thank you.
So although the OP suggests that because Christians sin, they are all going to Hell, the premise is incorrect since Christian theology holds that "all have sinned", but can be "justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus".