• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allah = God or maybe not?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

I've been thinking about this issue. It maybe al is a specifier and in short means in Quran, the God that Mohammad (s) is claiming to be sent from.

It's usually said that "al lah" which put together "Allah" means "the God", and that "the" is a qualifier suggesting that there is only one.

It maybe there is no equivalent to the term "God' in Arabic. So everywhere it's rather saying "the God (I claiming to be sent from) is... ".

What made me see this potentially as a plausibility, is that there is a usage of the term "he is the God in the heavens and in the earth", there "the" is needed, as it won't make sense to say "he is God in the heavens and in the earth" but rather there is an expression to say he is a God in the heavens in a god in the earth:

Of course, that God is the Creator and there is no God but God. At the end, it doesn't change anything really, just that there might be more eloquence to read Quran in a way that suggests it's a specifier.

Why? It links up to verses such as:

"...to who you command us?" (objection by disbelievers to Mohammad (s))
"Lord of Musa and Haroun"
"Lord of this House/Family"
"Worship the God (which is) your Lord and the Lord of your forefathers Ibrahim, Ismail, and Isaac, a God that is One.."

And in hadiths and Du'as,

"And the Lord of the great light and high seat"
"And the Lord of the Prophets and sent ones"

etc..

It's a small difference, really. But it might open up doors. I don't know at the end. Will have to see and think about it more.

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
There are many people who think that Arabic came from some Nabataen form of Aramaic. This supposes that Nabataens did not speak Arabic. Actually, Nabataens spoke Arabic, but they were influenced by Aramaic.

Just to correct you , God is ilah.

2ndpillar

The term "Alah" came from the generalized term for god, with respect to the Nabateans located in Petra, with respect to their keeping the gods of their worldwide traders, in their Kaaba, which was transported to Mecca approximately in the Islam year 70, because of the war between the leadership of Petra with those of Damascus, with respect to the later published narrative of Islam. As for the Koran, supposedly composed of only one version, which is supposedly kept in heaven. According to the supposed four initial leaders, it had either 111 chapters, or 116 chapters, or 114 chapters, and was supposedly put into writing, after the death of some supposedly guy named Muhammad, which means (praised one), with no specific name. Because of the supposedly different Koran variant versions repeated among the Arab warriors, a newly written approved version was supposedly sent to all the Arab centers of power, and all other writings were to be burned. None of those copies exist today. The term "Islam" didn't occur until around 100 years after the murder of this supposed prophet Muhammad. Islam's early verifiable artifact sources seem to indicate that Islam began around 690 A.D. thru the Arab Caliph of Jerusalem, who had built the first dome of the rock, an architectural image of a Byzantine church within eye view of the Dome of the Rock. The inner wall of the Dome of the Rock, sited Isa son of Mariam, who was Yeshua, and a statement against the trinity doctrine. Another artifact of the time was coinage, with the image of the Arab leader backgrounded with a cross, which is to say, that Arab leader had probably been initially a Byzantine Christian Arab, of the anti-Trinity persuasion, who possibly did not believe the gospel of the cross, whereas Yeshua was killed for his sins, because today, Muslims don't believe the crucifixion happened, but as a Byzantine, under the rule of Rome, may have kept the dogmas of Constantine in form, if not in belief. Constantine's god was Sol Invictus, by whom, Constantine was supposed to conquer the world under the sign of the cross. As for the later published narrative of Islam, it started around 100 years after the supposed death of this guy Muhammad, and written mostly by Persians, mostly in Baghdad and surrounding areas. The Islamic narrative was taken mostly from Christian, Persian, and Jewish writings. Islam was created to counter the book, and the man narratives of the Christians (Yeshua) and the Jews (Moses), to form a unified empire. It didn't work out too well, as the rift between Shia and Sunni exposes. As for the Arab Muslims being an offshoot of Ishmael, the Islamic writings disputes that by noting a 26-generation gap in the parentage. According to the prophets of the OT, they are probably of Esau parentage, as they live in the land of Edom/Esau, which is in the general area of southern Israel & Jordan.

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are many people who think that Arabic came from some Nabataen form of Aramaic. This supposes that Nabataens did not speak Arabic. Actually, Nabataens spoke Arabic, but they were influenced by Aramaic.

Just to correct you , God is ilah.
A god or god is Ilah, God is either Allah or the term doesn't exist in Arabic. The way people use it, they are equivalent now.

What I'm saying is perhaps Quran meant it more in a way "the God" and not as a formal title or name "Allah".

For example, when disbelievers say "the God" is who created heavens and earth, they are saying, yes we agree with you Mohammad (s) in your concept of Creator as God, except that we don't believe he sent you. Now that would be long to say, so it just says "they say Allah" which I'm claiming instead "they say God" it might be "they say the God (that..)"

I'm saying "the God" means what Quran describes as a god, is the one God, and it some contexts means that which Mohammad (s) is sent from and his God, and other contexts means what Mohammad (s) claims he is sent from. The latter is more when disbelievers say it in the Quran, they are agreeing with the overall structure of God per Mohammad (s), as Creator, ultimate being, perfect, etc, but then they still associate with him other gods, which is irrational.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe it is my understanding that it is commonly believed to be the word for God in the Qu'ran.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe it is my understanding that it is commonly believed to be the word for God in the Qu'ran.
Yes this is the case today. What I'm proposing is that the language originally didn't include the term, and Quran and Mohammad (s) meant it as two words "the God", not as a name or title nor equivalent to "God". I'm not sure though. Just that I know in one verse the word has to take that form or is grammatically wrong.

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
A god or god is Ilah, God is either Allah or the term doesn't exist in Arabic. The way people use it, they are equivalent now.
I disagree

Why do you say then 'Bismillah'(in the name of God) ?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
AFAIK Allah is a contraction of al ilah/elah. Elah and its plural form Elohim are both translated as "God".
Yes you are correct. I'm saying perhaps Quran does not mean "Allah" as a title, but as "the God", and "the" as a specification about the God revealed by Mohammad (s).

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I disagree

Why do you say then 'Bismillah'(in the name of God) ?
Language evolves. Right now 'Allah' means 'God', I'm saying in the Quran, perhaps, what is meant is not that, but "the God".

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
Language evolves. Right now 'Allah' means 'God', I'm saying in the Quran, perhaps, what is meant is not that, but "the God".
I accept that Allah right now is the term for Islamic God.

Does 'Allah' apear in pre-Islamic history?

And explain 'bi - ism - illah'

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I accept that Allah right now is the term for Islamic God.

Does 'Allah' apear in pre-Islamic history?

And explain 'bi - ism - illah'
Bro, I think you need to read the OP carefully and see what I'm saying.

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
Bro, I think you need to read the OP carefully and see what I'm saying.
Yes i understand the issue , but i don't think that you understand what i am saying.

To be more precise what is lah?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One name when God can create infinite titles for himself why would he choose on title over another? And which language should he choose his name.

Ebionite

One name when God can create infinite titles for himself why would he choose on title over another? And which language should he choose his name.
GD (God/Gad) is the name of a Semitic deity of fortune.

But ye [are] they that forsake YHWH, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for GD, and that furnish the drink offering unto MNY.
Isaiah 65:11

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes this is the case today. What I'm proposing is that the language originally didn't include the term, and Quran and Mohammad (s) meant it as two words "the God", not as a name or title nor equivalent to "God". I'm not sure though. Just that I know in one verse the word has to take that form or is grammatically wrong.
I believe "the God" and God would be synonymous. We simply put in a capital for the "the." So other gods that are not God get the lower case.