• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All religions unified

person

I've been thinking lately, and one of the things I've been thinking about is that having separate religions is stupid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all religions have the two basic beliefs of a life after this one, and in being kind to one another? Why do we have so many different variations on the same basic faith?

hanessah

*** in? I find most believe in God whatever they use as the name of God DO believe in the same God there is only one God

person

Oh, right sorry. Misunderstood you. Yeah, I kind of believe that "god" is a collective term for all higher powers worshipped by all religions. It's the same being in different forms.

hanessah

hanessah said:
as in what other god do they believe. It would not be the God but an idol. I find most believe in God whatever they use as the name of God, DO believe in the same God there is only one God

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Ok, when I was asked, should Christianity be unified, I said yes. When I was asked should Roman and Orthodox Catholics become unified, again, I say yes.

But should all religions become one. This is a big fat NO!!!!!

I'm sorry, was that too loud. I believe whole heartedly that we all should be acknowledging that we all serve the same (*NAME OF HIGHER POWER HERE*).

But to say that we should choose one religion over another, and somehow force all of world to adopt the same individual ways of worship, would be like telling all the cells of the body that they had to choose which organ was the most important, then all become that same thing. It would not work in the human body and it would not work in the Kingdom of God.

hanessah

My fingers slipped on that reply and it bleeped me. To me it's not that confusing believing in God it's the rest of religion that makes it confusing.

person

But should all religions become one. This is a big fat NO!!!!!
well, my point was more that all religions have the same basic values and beliefs, not that every person of every religion should be forced to join with all other religions.

I personally just don't like the way that some people who are so intent that they're religion is right that they are hostile towards other religions. I was just pointing out that since all religions have the same basic beliefs, that this hostility is stupid.

hanessah

There is a matter of culture here too, and I agree with you there couldn't be a universal religion . of course as a christian point of view until the return of Christ . by the way I enjoy your profile:)
My children often catch me"are you arguing with yourself again"

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
person said:
well, my point was more that all religions have the same basic values and beliefs, not that every person of every religion should be forced to join with all other religions.

I personally just don't like the way that some people who are so intent that they're religion is right that they are hostile towards other religions. I was just pointing out that since all religions have the same basic beliefs, that this hostility is stupid.
I didn't mean to be so agressive. This is only because I believe you are right, sort of, beneath the dogmas of every religion lies a basic truth. Like the DNA of our soul so to speak. And all Religions should unite in the sense that we should all be comparing notes to see the whole of God's Kingdom, instead of tearing it into pieces each Religion claiming to having the better piece.

But all religions can not become one religion, there has to be diversity, as nature has so beautifully shown us.

hanessah

I have found that a person who loves GOD will accept anyone of any faith as that is what God teaches them, to love one another . Yet there is the trivial denomination game and set man made rules that make one feel they are right and the other wrong. This is where my troubles come in.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
hanessah said:
Not only that but a belief in GOD as creator and the almighty
Hanessah -

You just dropped Buddhism out of your list. Buddhists do not believe in god the way Christians do. Some schools and traditions recognize gods, but they are unenlightened beings just as humans are.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
person said:
I've been thinking lately, and one of the things I've been thinking about is that having separate religions is stupid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all religions have the two basic beliefs of a life after this one, and in being kind to one another? Why do we have so many different variations on the same basic faith?
In the first place, I think there's more diversity in religions than you might be aware of. Taoism, for instance, is quite different than Christianity in many essential ways.

Second place, I think that one reason for the diversity of human religions is the diversity of humans. We don't all think alike, why should we worship alike?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
It would be ideal for all religions to become one - unfortunately, there are people who belkieve so strongly in their own faith, whom, as far as I can see would never 'go along' with the idea. Such is life.:(

Lintu

Not all religions believe in a life after this one. Judaism does not claim to know what happens after death.

cardero

Citizen Mod
person said:

One of the reasons that there are many religions is because there are many organizations who believe that they are correct in their doctrines and traditions that they have discovered and practiced for so many years that many religions sometimes do not want to give up these faiths and rituals because they know no other way to express their organization or admiration to God. To give up this domination over scripture or God's word would be an admittance to being wrong and well, who is going to accept an organization seriously after they have been proved wrong.

Another reason there are so many religions are the "promises" and death benefits that their religion promotes. This salesman mentality of religion is needed if the denomination is to thrive and survive against all the other religion's promises of the present and the afterlife. Also there are many people who need the convenience of an alternative. If you do not like one religion because it does not agree with your spirit, it is comforting to some people to know there is a choice or a selection to change and still feel as if they belong to a movement that still supports God's cause

ayani

there have been so many philosophic and religious movements that have sought to cater to everyone's spiritual needs and unite humanity under one teaching. or have claimed that their teachings are "the path of the future which one day all people will embrace".

it's just not going to work... i don't think any one system of belief can satisfy everyone's questions and requirements. even if we did have "one big religion" it would splinter off soon enough (very soon) due to differences in interpretation.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
person said:
Not necessarily, but for the most part, you're right. We all need to eat food to live, but we enjoy a great variety in that food, but it all works the same in our bodies. Why should religious and spiritual expression be any different? Quite frankly, I'd get very bored eating the same food all the time.