• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aleister Crowley

Master Vigil

What do you all think of Aleister Crowley? Wasn't he named the most evil man alive? (when he was alive?) I personally find so much of me in him. I would never sacrifice animals and stuff, but his personalities and interests and such are like mine. What do you think??

Runt

I both like and dislike him. I dislike him because he exemplifies what my cousins and some other pagans call "fluffy-bunny mentality"-- practicing religion for show, to get a rise out of other people, for the shock effect, rather than in the hopes of attaining spiritual wellbeing. However, this is a product of what I like in him: his boldness. I understand why he was like this: he was a man who wanted to rock the boat, so to speak. He had the guts not only to chose a path completely different than the prevalent religion of his time, but to to take it so far that it actually sparked an entire movement. The problem is that in the attempt to achieve this, he did some terrible things: sacrificed cats, for example, supposedly to see if they truly had 9 lives.

Master Vigil

Yeah I love how through his boldness he became known and still is a great influence to thelemic and enochian practitioners today. No one remembers his teacher, or his students, they only remember him. I like that.

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
He had some good ideas and some bad. I agree that he did some "evil" things, and did indeed exemplify the "fluffy-bunny metality". But he made it accessable to the masses. He was the father of modern paganism.

Runt

Perhaps. I personally consider Gardner the father of modern paganism... but that's just me.