• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alcohol question

dragoniatiegre

Seeker of Truth & Wisdom
I absolutely hate anything mocha-flavored, which is really nice. I know a lot of Latter-day Saints who wouldn't think of drinking a cup of coffee, but who really love the smell. I can't even stand the smell. On the other hand, if it weren't for the Word of Wisdom, I would probably occasionally have a glass of wine with my dinner.

So, neener neener neener! My dark side's darker than yours! :D

I think I got you beat; I occasionally drink a glass of Moscato D'Asti (a sweet white wine) with my dinner. I've also been known to imbibe quite a bit (obviously something to be worked on)

As I understand it, Prophets after Joseph Smith clarified the WoW to say that hot drinks refers to coffee and tea, in any form. Coffee and Tea were the only known "hot drinks" of the time, and no one had heard of iced coffee or tea.

Though, I admit to loving the smell of coffee, but not it's taste.

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
I've been speaking to a friend of mine who lived for a while in Salt Lake City. While in a particular restaurant she noticed that the liquor was not stored at the bar, but in a room closed off behind the bar. Her husband asked why it was not at the bar and the server told them because that way if someone were to ask for a "coke on the rocks" (rum & coke) they can make it up out of sight. If a Mormon doesn't mention the alcohol and they don't see the alcohol put in the drink...then "it doesn't have alcohol in it".

I guess I was just wanting to know the reaction to this. If it was something admitted to, or adamently denied, or acknowledged that it may happen with some. I know alcohol is suppose to be a no-no...so this kind of surprised me a bit.
That seems rather odd to me, but I've never been to Salt Lake City.

I'm not a tee-totaler, but I'm not LDS either.

Francine

I'm not a tee-totaler, but I'm not LDS either.

I am a tee-totaller, without being LDS, despite being twenty-something. Don't drink don't smoke, what do I do?

HoodJuneW05.jpg

Smoke

Done here.
No kidding. My Dad used to steadily drink Coke over many years until the doctor said about five years ago to give it up almost completely as it was getting rather bad for him.
My dentist told me that all carbonated drinks, even if they're sugarless and free of citric acid, are bad for your teeth. Bad news for me, since that's mostly what I drink.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
No coq au vin? Even with all the alcohol cooked out?
I cook with alcohol without giving a second thought. I think we can get so carried away by the letter of the law that we can forget the spirit of the law. I have a wonderful recipe for Grasshopper Pie, which contains both Creme de Menthe and Creme de Cocao. Yum!

Smoke

Done here.
I cook with alcohol without giving a second thought. I think we can get so carried away by the letter of the law that we can forget the spirit of the law. I have a wonderful recipe for Grasshopper Pie, which contains both Creme de Menthe and Creme de Cocao. Yum!
:D I'm glad to hear it. I don't see the point of denying yourself foods that used to have alcohol in them.

But then, John is strictly forbidden to drink milk out of my wine glasses, and he doesn't understand that, either.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
My dentist told me that all carbonated drinks, even if they're sugarless and free of citric acid, are bad for your teeth. Bad news for me, since that's mostly what I drink.
CO2 when dissolved in water produces carbonic acid. Its worse than citric acid.

nutshell

Here! Here!

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
No coq au vin? Even with all the alcohol cooked out?

Nah. I don't eat stuff with alcohol 'cooked out.' Partially because I don't believe the alcohol gets cooked out. Also I was raised never eating things cooked in alcohol. I have eaten onion rings cooked with alcohol when I was with my buddies. But I didn't eat very many. It was weird seeing beer go in and expecting beer not to be in there when it was consumed. It was also odd going with my friends to buy the beer.

But Katzpur you make an excellent point about the letter of the law. I don't thinks it's that I'm trying to avoid ANYYTHING that has a SPECK of alcohol in it. I just don't feel comfortable consuming something that has beer dumped in it.

I don't have a problem with cough drops or mouthsprays with alcohol.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I am grateful that we have the Word of Wisdom. I've never been around a drunk. It's not in my family, nor any of my social life. We don't need alcohol to have fun--and we have lots of fun! Our restaurant bill is MUCH cheaper. The drunk drivers we worry about are in other cars, never ours. Entertaining is cheaper. The genetic weakness towards alcoholism may be in my family, but we'll never know. Life is good without it.