• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alan Watts - What Buddhism's About

godnotgod

Thou art That
See if you can understand what the following little story has to do with the previous video in regards to 'higher and lower' selves:

A man dies and goes to heaven. Knocking on the Pearly Gates, he hears a voice from within:

"Yes? Who is it?"

"Me. It is ME, Oh Lord.", replies the man.

"Sorry", says the voice. "There are no 'ME's' here. Begone!"

Now the man, totally perplexed, goes away and ponders the question for a week. Returning to the Gates, he once again knocks loudly.

"Who goes there?", asks a voice from within.

"Yes, it is ME, Lord! You know! ME! ME! ME!" the man screams.

"Nope! Sorry! I see no such 'ME's' on our roster. Please go away.", says the voice.

Completely disappointed, the man skulks and slowly trods away, this time remaining away for an entire year. Then one day, it hits him, and he excitedly returns to the Gates, pounding ecstatically away.

"Yes? Who is it this time?" asks the voice from within.

"Why, it is none other than YOU, Oh Lord!", at which the Gates swing wide open.
:D:D:D

apophenia

A man dies and finds himself at the Pearly Gates.

St Peter greets him and asks "What have you done in youe earthly life which would earn you entrance into Paradise ?"

The man replies, "Hold on a minute ! How do I know that this experience is not a hallucination of my disordered mind undergoing death ?"

A voice from behing the gate shouts "Let him in ! He's one of us ! "

godnotgod

Thou art That
A man dies and finds himself at the Pearly Gates.

St Peter greets him and asks "What have you done in youe earthly life which would earn you entrance into Paradise ?"

The man replies, "Hold on a minute ! How do I know that this experience is not a hallucination of my disordered mind undergoing death ?"

A voice from behing the gate shouts "Let him in ! He's one of us ! "

In Zen, the idea of 'another realm' outside of the one we find ourselves in now, has been called 'a sustantial, delusive idea'.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Alan Watts was an incredible philosopher with a keen and clear insight coupled with a beautiful sense of humor. So much of his material has been invaluble to me personally esp. "A Conversation With Myself" made in the latter years before his death.

Tributes made in his honor cant ever express the gratitude so many people feel as a result of his talks and conversations. Like this one which resonated so well, the beauty of which words cannot justify. I would have much loved to have met him.

[youtube]mXmz605GAnc[/youtube]
Alan Watts - The Real You - YouTube

RIP Alan.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Much like the realm we find ourselves in now.

Heh heh heh....well, what 'other' realm is there that you could possibly find yourself in other than the one you are in right now?:D

Any 'other' realm you find yourself in is always this one, is it not?

In the world of Buddhism, it is said that Nirvana (Enlightenment) and Samsara (Delusion/Suffering) are One. They both exist simultaneously right here, right now, in this One world. There is no 'other' realm. You can be awake or asleep both in the same room. The dream (Waking Sleep) is the delusive state, in which one firmly believes oneself to be awake, and that the character one sees oneself as is 'real', when neither is actually the case. Waking Sleep is also known as the Third Level of Consciousness, or Identification. The idea is to awaken and transcend within the dream, here, now, and not wait until you die to enter some 'other' realm, which is only a concept.

Last edited: