• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ahimsa is my Goal

AllMantra

In my walk, non-violence has been one of the most difficult ideals that I have worked towards attaining. When I first researched Mahavira's path of non-injury and non-attachment I looked to Gandhi as an embodiment, but looking closer, I cannot be certain that even this Great Soul, who far surpasses my level of spirituality, truly had that divine attribute. The resistance he used against the British certainly involved no physical violence, but burning passes and english made cloth did not exactly fit the description of benevolence. Am I saying he was corrupt? Not at all. Was Jesus corrupt for condeming the Scribes and Pharisees as hypocrites? No. I believe that many Great Men of God often have to use drastic measures to make positive social changes. How about the Prophet Muhammad having the rebels of the Jewish Tribe under his protection executed? Does that make him wrong or evil? Not in my belief. For me the question of non-violence is one of a mental state, regardless of the physical action, no matter how drastic it may appear. I don't know about anyone else, but for me it is a daily challenge to control my easily agitated and immature mind.

AllMantra

Thank you for your feedback, Feathers in Hair and CiscoKid, you both have valid beliefs. There are certain times in life that violence in unavoidable, which is why I made the point that ones mental state is the primary factor. If an individual is attacked, it is a natural response to defend, I believe it can be done without malice. What Jesus and Buddha taught in regards to Hatred fueling Hatred is universally unavoidable. I believe that cases such as Hitler's holocaust have gone so far that the only practical remedy is drastic offensive action, but the truth for me is that his actions were based in animosity that was focused on him prior to his rise to power. Hatred fuels hate, only love dispels hate.

ayani

Feathers in Hair said:
While I aspire to pursue non-violence, too, I worry that, if I were attacked, I might break it in defending myself.

this is true. also, raising one's voice can be understood as a violent action.

i try *not* to raise my voice, but still do at times. the Buddha and Mahavira were right- anger plants all kinds of nasty seeds.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I know we're talking about violence in general and not war, but I think this quote sums up my opinion about it nicely.

Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime. ~Ernest Hemingway