• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agnostic and Religious

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
So, here is something I always get caught up on. I am both religious and agnostic. I've never really understood the whole faith thing. Is there room for agnosticism in religion? Do we really need faith?

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Radio Frequency X said:
...Is there room for agnosticism in religion? ...
I would say 'yes' because I've encountered many people who feel there is a greater power but are uncomfortable with the Christian God. Some prefer to describe themselves as agnostic and spiritual.

I've even met people in my own faith who believe that Jesus set a wonderful example for Christians but are not 100% convinced that he was the 'Messiah'.:eek:

I realize many people have this image of 'religion' an a monolithic set of inflexible rules, but I think if you do some research you will find that some faiths are longer on personal growth and shorter on dogma that others.:)

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
I don't know anything about gods. I don't know any divine wisdom. I don't know any divine truths. I'm just a guy that loves religion, loves myths, loves people, loves imagining worlds greater and deeper than the seen. Yet, despite the imagined, I still love the material world, the real world, the stuff that exists.

Aristotle painted a picture of a single God whose function was the universe. I think of all the gods as the function of the things they correspond to. Though, I think people see that as pretty strange. I don't know if my views are 2,000 years early or 2,000 years late. But my agnosticism is just honesty. I don't know that the gods exist.

A

angellous_evangellous

Radio Frequency X said:
I don't know anything about gods. I don't know any divine wisdom. I don't know any divine truths. I'm just a guy that loves religion, loves myths, loves people, loves imagining worlds greater and deeper than the seen. Yet, despite the imagined, I still love the material world, the real world, the stuff that exists.

Aristotle painted a picture of a single God whose function was the universe. I think of all the gods as the function of the things they correspond to. Though, I think people see that as pretty strange. I don't know if my views are 2,000 years early or 2,000 years late. But my agnosticism is just honesty. I don't know that the gods exist.

There's plenty of room for agnostics in religion.

However, there is no way to participate in the myth without faith. By faith myth interacts with history. It's by faith that we interact with the myths.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
angellous_evangellous said:
There's plenty of room for agnostics in religion.

However, there is no way to participate in the myth without faith. By faith myth interacts with history. It's by faith that we interact with the myths.

I interact with the myths the same way I interact with Aristotle, David Hume, Adam Smith, the music of The Who, and the paintings of Leonardo. My faith is determined by my experience. The more I experience something to be true, the more faith I have in it. But I think you are talking about blind faith, which is something I don't really understand.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
I am of the view that the only really intellectually sound view to have with respect to God is to be agnostic. I simply cannot make an intellectual judgement that God, for certain, exists or does not. I do however, believe that God exists and that Jesus was his son. Intellectually, the evidence is far from conclusive, spiritually however I am compelled to believe.

A

angellous_evangellous

Radio Frequency X said:
I interact with the myths the same way I interact with Aristotle, David Hume, Adam Smith, the music of The Who, and the paintings of Leonardo. My faith is determined by my experience. The more I experience something to be true, the more faith I have in it. But I think you are talking about blind faith, which is something I don't really understand.

Then you have all the faith needed to believe in God.

Enjoy.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Radio Frequency X said:
The gods you describe, that are "the function of the things they correspond to", you don't know for sure that that is what 'god' is, right?

How is that any less 'blind' than what other people believe?

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Willamena said:
The gods you describe, that are "the function of the things they correspond to", you don't know for sure that that is what 'god' is, right?

How is that any less 'blind' than what other people believe?

I guess it isn't. :) That's just the way I think about it. Not sure it is really blind faith, but I guess it is the same thing.