• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Age of Earth

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'd like to believe that the earth is around 6,000 years old simply because that is more followed by people of the Christian faith.However that's not a solid reason and since I don't see it as a salvational issue and I don't know enough about the scientific determination of time I generally just don't care how old it is.

So, at the end of the day, you simply don't care whether what you believe is true or not. This may work for you, but, for many of us, we find value in what is true.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I'd like to believe that the earth is around 6,000 years old simply because that is more followed by people of the Christian faith.
This could not be further from the truth. Only a very small minority of Christians believe in the "new earth" theory. The reason is that every single piece of evidence ever found points to this theory being incorrect.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Im not sure you can substantiate that claim.

Most Christians if im not mistaken do not believe in a YEC mythology.

You do know Christians have many scientist that back the true age of the earth, and teach and promote evolution, and constantly adding to and furthering the study in these sciences.

Many of us here want to know the truth, and don't want to live in so much mythology.
Right on. I didn't know it was possible not to know this. According to the polls I have been looking at, less than 10% of Christians believe in new earth creationism.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I don't know for sure what the majority believes I just know that the majority of what I have heard from people of the Christian faith is that the earth is only a few thousand years old.
According to all of the polls I've seen, less than 10% of Christians believe in the new earth theory. You've got to be incredibly stubborn to buy into this theory.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I'd like to believe that the earth is around 6,000 years old simply because that is more followed by people of the Christian faith.However that's not a solid reason and since I don't see it as a salvational issue and I don't know enough about the scientific determination of time I generally just don't care how old it is.

If it is not a salvation issue and you do not know much about the subject, I suggest you trust the pros and save yourself from the embarassment :)

Ciao

- viole

outhouse

Atheistically
First result I found from a quick google search:

4 in 10 Americans Believe God Created Earth 10,000 Years Ago

This is important from your link

About half of Americans believe humans evolved over millions of years, with most of those people saying that God guided the process. Religious, less educated, and older respondents were likelier to espouse a young Earth creationist view — that life was created some 6,000 to 10,000 years ago — according to the poll.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
For the age of the earth, I'd rather go by the formation of sedimentary layers, how much of the cosmic bodies we can see, radioactive dating, and all the other methods that indicate the earth is about 4.6 billion years old, than what some ancient book says (or, in the case of the Bible, doesn't say) about it.

elijoe_15

So, at the end of the day, you simply don't care whether what you believe is true or not. This may work for you, but, for many of us, we find value in what is true.

It's funny because you say you find value in something that is true yet you believe something false.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It's funny because you say you find value in something that is true yet you believe something false.

I'm sure I believe many things that may turn out to be false. The respect for truth, and the search for it is an ongoing process. Regardless, what specific belief are you referring to?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Science CANNOT 100% prove anything.
Correct. If I remember right, there's even some proof made to show this. Gödel's incompleteness theorem, if I'm not mistaken.

So, what's your point? There's not a single nut that is exactly identical to another... therefore... what?

Are you suggesting that religion is the better option because religion believes everything and can't prove even 1%? The better option is the one that doesn't even try to understand the world? Or is it something else you're after by suggesting skepticism to science?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Your humanistic beliefs
Sorry to butt in, but humanism is a completely different field. It has very little, or nothing to do with science. Humanism is the philosophy that humans are fundamentally good, and that we can do something to improve our world.