• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"After Enlightenment, the Laundry."

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It means that nothing changes after enlightenment and you will continue you day to day life. I was into Zen for a few years and I understood that Zen enlightenment is basically about finding out that there is no enlightenment at all.

There is nothing to seek, nothing to find but a 360 degree turn.

Thanks! That was very helpful.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
"After enlightenment, the laundry."

What in your opinion is the meaning of this Zen expression?
Not taking into account the other Zen sayings similar to this, "Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

That after enlightenment, you realize your clothes had always been dirty, and in the wash; so instead by washing your clothes, you can put on clean robes, so that you're no longer naked. ;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, Kirran, that is the case in India. Now I do not know anything about laundry or cooking, never did that in my life. I am a big liability when it comes to these things. I am turned out of the kitchen the moment I enter it, and I think it is better than way. I am like the proverbial monkey helping the king sleep soundly. I may cause more harm than help. Things are changing, will change with time.

Kirran

Premium Member
Well, Kirran, that is the case in India. Now I do not know anything about laundry or cooking, never did that in my life. I am a big liability when it comes to these things. I am turned out of the kitchen the moment I enter it, and I think it is better than way. I am like the proverbial monkey helping the king sleep soundly. I may cause more harm than help. Things are changing, will change with time.

I think pretty much every culture in the world is patriarchal in this manner, I don't mark India out as an exception. But as you say, things are changing.

I can't imagine not being able to cook! Like not knowing how to use the bathroom or something :p

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My son-in-law is perfect in his job (he is a dentist) as also in any job at home (cooking, laundry, cleaning, preserving, anything). A big help to my daughter.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Why wouldn't you take into account Basho's words? Am I missing something?
Because you should take each statement into account on its own merit, as well as possibly within an overall context.... Everyone in the thread has stuck with a majority view, that after enlightenment you still have to do basics of life.... Yet why bother having a different statement, if it doesn't mean anything new. ;)

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
No, but since you see them as part of the same fabric as that of the pants they are on, you care less about them.

Sounds boring. It conflicts with my nature of caring about innate, small details regarding things perceived to be of little value, and also my propensity for self-induced suffering.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds boring. It conflicts with my nature of caring about innate, small details regarding things perceived to be of little value, and also my propensity for self-induced suffering.

Boring, yes. But I'm not sure self-induced suffering is really central in Zen philosophy anyways...lol
There are a few world religions that would be just PERFECT for you though...

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
th

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I'm going to go with balance. The search for higher truths doesn't preclude us from the simple tasks of life, but perhaps it changes how we view them. In any case, both the search for higher truths and the eternal quest for clean underpants have important parts to play in our existence.

The other angle I'd pondered on this was that mundane tasks can be put off until the search for higher truths is complete. In other words, priority. However, my wife has suggested repeatedly to me that this is simply my way of avoiding chores.
I'd take this a step further and say that enlightnement doesn't lift us above the mundane of life. But it does give the mundane deep meaning.