• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adapted Versions of the Rosary

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I know of an Orthodox adaptation of it and, of course, we have our much, much older practice of saying the Jesus Prayer whilst using a prayer rope (which is similar to a Roman Catholic rosary), but neither of those is nontheistic. You might want to look into a Buddhist mala - that's certainly not theistic, but nor is it the rosary. I have to say, though, that it sounds (correct me if I'm wrong) as though you're just referring to prayer beads/ropes of some kind as the rosary, and that's certainly what a mala is.

James

Littledragon

Questing Dragon
I have seen a version of one made by a chaote.. I will try to find it again. It had eight sets of beads and ended in a chaos star where the cross would be on a christian rosary. The eight sets of beads is to represent the eight rays of the chaos star.

Sweet water and light laughter
Littledragon

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I have seen a version of one made by a chaote.. I will try to find it again. It had eight sets of beads and ended in a chaos star where the cross would be on a christian rosary. The eight sets of beads is to represent the eight rays of the chaos star.

Littledragon

I believe you mean this one right,
IMG_0293%20lil.JPG

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Interesting...so what is the chaos star, and what is recited on these beads?

Not sure what's recited but I can tell you the Chaos Star is. The Chaos Star was first a symbol use by Michael Moorcock in his Eternal Champion stories. The Symbol of Chaos comprises eight arrows in a radial pattern (in contrast, the symbol of Law is a single upright arrow.). It is also called the Arms of Chaos, the Arrows of Chaos, the Chaos Star or the Symbol of Eight. Moorcock conceived this symbol while writing the first Elric of Melniboné stories in the early 1960s. It was subsequently adopted into the pop-cultural mainstream, turning up in such diverse places as role-playing games and modern occult traditions.

Origins

Moorcock says —
The origin of the Chaos Symbol was me doodling sitting at the kitchen table and wondering what to tell Jim Cawthorn the arms of Chaos looked like. I drew a straightforward geographical quadrant (which often has arrows, too!) – N, S, E, W – and then added another four directions and that was that – eight arrows representing all possibilities, one arrow representing the single, certain road of Law. I have since been told to my face that it is an "ancient symbol of Chaos" and if it is then it confirms a lot of theories about the race mind. … As far as I know the symbol, drawn by Jim Cawthorn, first appeared on an Elric cover of Science Fantasy in 1962, then later appeared in his first comic version of Stormbringer done by Savoy.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
If they are adapted from the origninal purpose are they really considered the rosary? I think not.

Well a Rosary is really just Buddhist prayer bead with something on the end right? I roses by any other name I say, doesn't really matter what you call them the idea is the same.

athanasius

Well a Rosary is really just Buddhist prayer bead with something on the end right? I roses by any other name I say, doesn't really matter what you call them the idea is the same.

Not really! The rosary is a Roman catholic devotional to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the Trinity recalling the sacred mysteries of the life of Jesus and Mary in the bible and sacred tradition. it is also a intercessory form of prayer as well as meditative and spoken. This is completely different from Buddist prayer beads or anything else from other religions.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Not really! The rosary is a Roman catholic devotional to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the Trinity recalling the sacred mysteries of the life of Jesus and Mary in the bible and sacred tradition. it is also a intercessory form of prayer as well as meditative and spoken. This is completely different from Buddist prayer beads or anything else from other religions.

Rosary:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/4/4d/20060602151013!Rosary_2006-01-16.jpg

Buddhist Prayer Beads

beads_small.jpg

Well from what I know the Buddhist pray and meditate on the bead and the concept to me, just looks a little different and for little different reasons on who or what it pray to.

athanasius

Rosary:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/4/4d/20060602151013!Rosary_2006-01-16.jpg

Buddhist Prayer Beads

beads_small.jpg

Well from what I know the Buddhist pray and meditate on the bead and the concept to me, just looks a little different and for little different reasons on who or what it pray to.

I can understand what you mean. They look similar but the rosary is totally different in meaning and its invention has a different historical meaning. Also Wikipedia is not a scholarly or even good source for specific info. Any one can wright anthing on it. It could be changed by tommorrow Look into the history of the rosary and you will see.

Also notice the beads are different from the rosary!

Here is the history of the rosary and why it was created.

http://www.familyrosary.org/main/rosary-explanation.php

Littledragon

Questing Dragon
Thank you Grimmjow, that is the picture I was looking for.

I am pming Spiritually Inclined with more info (I'm not sure if it is proper to post it here). If anyone else wants it let me know

As to the whole debate about the rosary only being christian, it's just a technicality. The OP was probably using the word because of our exposure to christianity, a rosary is much more common than prayer beads.

Littledragon

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I can understand what you mean. They look similar but the rosary is totally different in meaning and its invention has a different historical meaning. Also Wikipedia is not a scholarly or even good source for specific info. Any one can wright anthing on it. It could be changed by tommorrow Look into the history of the rosary and you will see.

Also notice the beads are different from the rosary!

Here is the history of the rosary and why it was created.

http://www.familyrosary.org/main/rosary-explanation.php

I think the problem here is that you call both the prayer and the beads on which it is counted off by the same name. This has lead to me coming across such absurdities as the mala being described as the Buddhist rosary or our own, older, tradition of preayer ropes (obliquely mentioned when your article refers to the Desert Fathers) as the Orthodox rosary. The latter is made even more confusing when one realises that there actually is an Orthodox rosary (slightly different from the RC one as aspects of that are contrary to our faith) which is a prayer said on beaded/knotted ropes which we refer to by another name (prayer ropes, in English, chotki in Russian, matanie in Romanian etc.) As I said in my last post, I think that the OP was using the term 'rosary' in the sense of the beads alone, which is why I pointed him towards a mala. Prayer beads/ropes in general are a tool that is common to any number of religions, it's how you use them (and to some degree the design), that differs from one to another.

James

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

No, they are distinctly different in their purpose and layout.

Look up the term "mala".

Booko

Deviled Hen
Many Baha'is use prayer beads, because there are certain verses we repeat 95 times.

The beads are sometimes in a strand, and sometimes in a loop with a tail, but it's always a pattern of 19 beads of one color (or in the loop) with 5 beads of a different color that form part of the "tail". Here's a typical example:

956.jpg