• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Acknowledging Impositions & Understanding How to Counter Them: Anti-Hindu Encroachments

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, that is just it, isn't it Aup-ji? We recognize that these things did not necessarily happen. They are allegories and not set in stone history.
Or they are records of physical and geographical conditions of the places where the people who wrote them were at a particular time during their long voyages over milleniums. You see, rescuing the sun by a warrior/king/God of the tribe, whether it is Indra, Verethragna or Thor, extends from Norway to India.

COMPARATIVE MYTHOLOGY

The ancient calendars of the European Aryan races — The plurality of Dawns in the Lettish, the Greek and the Celtic mythology — The ancient Roman year of ten months and Numa’s reform thereof — Plutarch’s view — Improbability of Lignana’s theory pointed out — The ancient Celtic year — Closed with the last day of October and marked the commencement of winter and darkness— The winter feast celebrated on the day — The mid-summer feast of Lugnassad on the first of August — The commencement of summer on the first of May — The date of the battle of Moytura — Similar duration of the Old Norse year — Comparison with the ancient Greek calendar — All indicate six months’ light and six months’ darkness — Corroboration derived from comparative philology — Two divisions of the year in primeval times — The Maid of Nine Forms in the Celtic mythology — The Nine paces of Thor in the Norse legend — Compared with the Vedic Navagvas and Vifra Navaza in the Avesta — Balder’s home in the heavens — Indicates the long Arctic day — The Slavonic story of Ivan and his two brothers — Continuous night in Ivan’s home — Comparison with the Vedic legend of Trita — The Slavonic winter demon — The story of Dawn and Gloaming in the Finnish mythology — Indicates a long day of four weeks — Celtic and Teutonic legends representing the Sun-god’s annual struggle with darkness — Baldur and Hodur, Cuchulainn and Fomori — Temporary sickness and indisposition of gods and heroes — Prof. Rhys’ views thereon — The affliction indicates winter darkness — Celtic and Teutonic myths indicating long continuous day and night — Recent ethnological researches in favor of European home referred to — Indicate northern Germany or Scandinavia — The necessity of going still farther North — Prof. Rhys’ method and conclusion.

https://archive.org/details/TheArcticHomeInTheVedas Chapter XII, Bal Gangadhar Tilak

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sri Lankan Tamil. The Catholic church has a very strong presence. It's relatively common amongst the Sri Lankans. In Kerala too its common.
Yes, that is right. Kerala Christian percentage is some 20%, but I do not think there is an ambiguity as you mention wrt the Srilankan Tamil couple.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
IN short, I'd say explain your stance firmly but calmly, then walk away and ignore if it starts getting heated. There's no point in trying to win an argument with someone who simply enjoys arguing. You'll be there all day.

I stayed beautifully calm. The cool Fall wind caressed my jet-black hair, enabling it to fly gloriously. The rigorist got quite agitated with my serene responses. After giving me a few strawmen here and there, he abruptly left. I stayed, taking in the Fall wind. Thought about the new episodes of my favorites shows that were airing that evening, smiled, and then went home and read a horror novel in honor of Halloween.

I understand this and I just simply wanted to know if such a story actually existed. I'd never heard of it before and seriously doubted that it did. Sorry for derailing the thread.

It may exist or it may not. I couldn't have cared less, obviously. It's not faith-defining for me---and the fact that it is not faith-defining, and the fact that it doesn't abide by the concept of religion in the [Abrahamic] religio [doctrinal and credal] sense, is what enrages many rigorists, such as the Muslim rigorist of the OP, that seek to defame religious paths that can't be subjected to those paradigms. ;)

Bal Gangadhar Tilak

Every time I hear that name, I can't help but go ...

6846694.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Every time I hear that name, I can't help but go ..
That is not correct. He was a staunch nationalist, a staunch Hindu, a very well-read person with a brilliant mind, and a very righteous person who suffered for the cause of Indian independence. Don't ever say this in Mumbai, where he is known as Tilak Maharaj, second probably only to Shivaji Maharaj. I think you are doing him a grave injustice.

'Swaraj is my birth-right, and I will not rest till I get it'. 'Ganapati Bappa Moriya'.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
That is not correct. He was a staunch nationalist, a staunch Hindu, a very well-read person with a brilliant mind, and a very righteous person who suffered for the cause of Indian independence. Don't ever say this in Mumbai, where he is known as Tilak Maharaj, second probably only to Shivaji Maharaj. I think you are doing him a grave injustice.

'Swaraj is my birth-right, and I will not rest till I get it'. 'Ganapati Bappa Moriya'.

How could you derive all of that from just a meme-template of a scheming, evil-genius baby? Also, I don't doubt his nationalism. Regardless, it's beside the point. This thread isn't about Acknowledging Tilak and Understanding How to Read His Works, Aup-dada. Plus, I wouldn't step foot in Mumbai even if my life depended upon it---same goes for Delhi and Kolkata.