• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abused Men

Ozzie

Do you think the court system generally believes a woman more than a man in a domestic violence case?
Yes because the court system itself is a product of masculine bias/role models, although theoretically it is neutral.

Do you think the defense that because a woman is smaller she's not capable of hurting a man is valid?
This fact may engender a stronger burden of proof on men. No criterion of external validity can proove emotional or mental abuse. This being the case, what the court believes may well be a stereotype.

Do you know anyone personally who was abused by a woman verbally or physically who was taken seriously by the police or court system?
There was the guy who had his dick bitten off. But hey, maybe it was an accident.:shrug:

Oz

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
An ex-girlfriend went for me with a knife once. Admittedly, I shouldn't have made that joke while she was chopping onions, but the reaction was... extreme. She was a tiny little girl and I have absolutely no trouble believing that men can quite easily be physically abused by much weaker women - after all many of us won't consider fighting back under any circumstances. In my case, all I did was hold her wrists and wait for her to calm down, then call it a day. Had the relationship been more serious, though, I can quite believe that I would have stayed with her in the hope she might change. Luckily, I have never had a repeat of the experience.

James

Ðanisty

Buttercup said:
Did your husband's father end up divorcing her? Does your husband talk to her now?
Yes, my father-in-law did end up divorcing her even though he's Catholic. I'm sure that's why he put up with her for so long, actually. My husband does not speak to his mother and I don't think he ever will. The thing with the knife was not an isolated incident and she sexually abused him as well although I don't know the details of that. It's not stuff he remembers clearly and he doesn't want to talk about it so I don't push him.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
My mother was abusive toward my father, which played a part in their separation. It bothers me to no end how some folks seem to think that a man cannot possibly suffer from abuse, especially physical abuse, at the hands of a woman.

ladyhawke

the law is an *** if you don't have broken bones or bullets in you then you won't be belived...male or female the law requires you to be near dead before the perp is removed from your life.... take a deep breathe and swim for cleaner shores if your in that situation,you may drown on the way but your in charge every breath every stroke its your life.....make it so!!!! :yes:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
ladyhawke said:
the law is an *** if you don't have broken bones or bullets in you then you won't be belived...male or female the law requires you to be near dead before the perp is removed from your life.... take a deep breathe and swim for cleaner shores if your in that situation,you may drown on the way but your in charge every breath every stroke its your life.....make it so!!!! :yes:
Tis not true in the US....sorry that you've had a difficult time. :(

evearael

Buttercup said:
Tis not true in the US....sorry that you've had a difficult time. :(
I wouldn't say that that. I couldn't even get a restraining order against the man who raped me in the state of Virginia. The laws can vary so much depending on where you are. In California, there are two different restraining orders I could get.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
evearael said:
I wouldn't say that that. I couldn't even get a restraining order against the man who raped me in the state of Virginia. The laws can vary so much depending on where you are. In California, there are two different restraining orders I could get.
Hmm. Well, I'm guessing it must vary quite a bit because I actually have a family member who filed assault charges against someone in Virginia two years ago. She ended up moving back home to Arkansas and the DA from Virginia Beach offered to pay her way back to Virgina to testify at the trial against her husband. Nothing was broken and she had very minor bruising on her arms. It was also the first time any altercation happened between them. She simply got mad and called the police. The DA filed rape charges and police investigators came to the apartment, searched and took back a used condom as evidence. I was surprised they took it so seriously to tell you the truth.