• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamics: Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Exodus 22:18
Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live

Leviticus 20:27
A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.

So, Abrahamics, why don't you carry out this command? It seems unambiguous...

In Christian churches, I was taught that Jesus Christ "fulfilled the law" so we didn't have to follow the old laws of Moses anymore. Is that what Christians here say? If that's your only reason for not stoning witches, idk what to tell you.

Jews still follow the law, right? Why don't you guys stone witches nowadays?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I think it's a valid and relevant question.

Many Abrahamics teach that the Torah comes from God Himself through Moses. So they believe the literal author of morality had it written down on sacred text that witches are to be killed.

I got a cousin who's Wiccan. I'm considering witchcraft. And I'm surrounded by Abrahamics. So of course I am wondering why these people aren't eager to carry out the command. What is the reasoning?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
It's a totally fair question.

Answering strictly for myself. Virtually any law that is punishable by death, I would not be able to carry out. It's an internal limitation. Maybe it's considered a flaw by the All-mighty. But, this is how I was made, and if it means I will be punished for permitting a witch or wizard to live, then I accept whatever penalty that incurs on myself.

Zooming out past that, I think that these laws cannot be implemented without a religious court.

King Phenomenon

A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.

In Christian churches, I was taught that Jesus Christ "fulfilled the law" so we didn't have to follow the old laws of Moses anymore. Is that what Christians here say? If that's your only reason for not stoning witches, idk what to tell you.

Cuz we’re not idiots

King Phenomenon

The religious cherry pick. They believe what's convenient and disregard the rest.
They'll eat pork, wear cotton-poly blends, and party on the Shabbat, but they'll quickly quote Leviticus should someone advocate equal rights for the LGBT community.
Haha. You know it! Any idiot can see cherries need Pickin.

Btw I support lgbt

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
The religious cherry pick. They believe what's convenient and disregard the rest.
They'll eat pork, wear cotton-poly blends, and party on the Shabbat, but they'll quickly quote Leviticus should someone advocate equal rights for the LGBT community.

We're not allowed to party on Shabbat? Have you not heard of oneg? And I def don't eat pork. Shatnez is specific, wool+linen... Most people don't have those fabrics blended. And I can't remember the last time I spoke out against LGBT. So, ummm who are you talking about?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Why don't you guys stone witches nowadays?
Because Christians are to follow the example of the Lord Jesus, God Incarnate, not verses in a book to the letter. That's a misunderstanding of what Christianity is about. The Levitical Code taught purity for the priestly class (and it's implementation wasn't as straightforward as you might think), but Jesus revealed God's mercy and compassion. He didn't join the crowd to throw stones at the woman caught in adultery, after all.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Because Christians are to follow the example of the Lord Jesus, God Incarnate, not verses in a book to the letter. That's a misunderstanding of what Christianity is about. The Levitical Code taught purity for the priestly class (and it's implementation wasn't as straightforward as you might think), but Jesus revealed God's mercy and compassion. He didn't join the crowd to throw stones at the woman caught in adultery, after all.
So why all of the hub bub from fundamentalists about LGBT people?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know much about these things...

But I'm curious. If I recall correctly, the 10 commandments also say not to kill.

Which came first? The statement that a witch shouldn't be allowed to live, or do not kill?

I've also heard that the verse was closer to "poisoner" than "witch", and its a flaw of translation.

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
I don't know much about these things...

But I'm curious. If I recall correctly, the 10 commandments also say not to kill.

Which came first? The statement that a witch shouldn't be allowed to live, or do not kill?

I've also heard that the verse was closer to "poisoner" to "witch", and its a flaw of translation.

The commandment says do not murder.

The idea that this is a poisoner comes from the greek LXX. The Hebrew doesn't reflect that.

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
It's a totally fair question.

Answering strictly for myself. Virtually any law that is punishable by death, I would not be able to carry out. It's an internal limitation. Maybe it's considered a flaw by the All-mighty. But, this is how I was made, and if it means I will be punished for permitting a witch or wizard to live, then I accept whatever penalty that incurs on myself.

Zooming out past that, I think that these laws cannot be implemented without a religious court.

A very fair and honest response, in my opinion.

RestlessSoul

I think that has more to do with the USA being a hot mess, full of angry prejudiced people bearing grudges, than it does with Christian values tbh.

Actually that’s not fair. We have plenty of bigotry in Europe too. It might be more accurate to say, the world is full of fear and hate, and religious people are not immune.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!

Not really Abrahamic per se, but I can help out here. It's all a matter of incorrect translation, IMHO:

'Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.'

Not a 'witch' there's no such thing as what is thought of now as a witch in the Torah.
(I remember being taught that the thing that made a sorceress so vile was their use of poison.)

'A man also or a woman that divineth by a ghost or a familiar spirit, shall surely be put to death'

Having a familiar spirit is not the problem, the act of divination is the problem. Just being a medium and seeing ghosts isn't a sin.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm not a fundamentalist, so why don't you ask one? I think society is way too obsessed with sex and who's doing what in general. Making identities out of it was a mistake. Now it's political. I'm tired of it all.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Cuz we’re not idiots
Well I do think this is very telling.

If your God (well I asked "Abrahamics" and you replied with "we're not idiots" so I guess your abrahamic now @Moon ?)

If your God tells you to kill witches, and you use your personal judgement to decide to disobey, well, slippery slope, right? Why don't you always question Him and rely on your own moral judgement instead? If you can see that killing witches is "idiotic" (whatever the reason, it being society wouldn't approve or simply because it's wrong), then you have to admit that your Almighty God is... wrong?

Am I understanding right?

King Phenomenon

Well I do think this is very telling.

If your God (well I asked "Abrahamics" and you replied with "we're not idiots" so I guess your abrahamic now @Moon ?)

If your God tells you to kill witches, and you use your personal judgement to decide to disobey, well, slippery slope, right? Why don't you always question Him and rely on your own moral judgement instead? If you can see that killing witches is "idiotic" (whatever the reason, it being society wouldn't approve or simply because it's wrong), then you have to admit that your Almighty God is... wrong?

Am I understanding right?
Eh I’m a Christian when I want to be haha. I do have my own personal beliefs but I think the Bible is symbolic of those beliefs. Anyway, the abrahamic god and I agree on a few things.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Witchcraft accusations and killings over it are very much much alive in many nations in Africa.
Well, then perhaps one could infer that it is developed society which keeps Abrahamics at bay. If they were to have no legal repercussions for killing "witches", then I wonder how many would delight to follow their Almighty God's command? Humans are depraved, ya know?

If the Bible isn't literally from God, and people are being killed for being "witches" because of it... Well it's just telling that's all